Great shots, but I'm calling out Rye High for not installing lamps at those study desks. Lamps are integral, especially in large, concrete spaces that naturally dull light.

Last edited:
Only some desks don't have lamps, most do. The desk I'm at right now has bright white LEDs which is way better than those florescent desk lamps that can give you a massive headache after a while.

I am loving this building! Every floor is unique and ever so inspiring. An amazing addition to Ryerson University and the City of Toronto. All the students I talked to love the space and can't wait to utilize it to its full potential. My only complaint is with the super heavy doors of the stairwells that are being slammed constantly. I keep hearing the banging noise of the door closing and it is very distracting on some floors. This is an easy fix though.

I'm not too concerned about the fact that it was a sauna inside there today, that will be addressed soon enough. Besides from that, it sounds like everyone loves the Beach. Each floor is really different; floor 7 being the Forest, you can put thumb tacks on nearly every square inch of that wall. I don't know if all study rooms have them, but one wall was entirely a white board. Furniture, well some people found it nap-worthy, others did not. One thing that really stood out to me, before entering the library (via Kerr Hall Bridge) was the fact you can see natural light and make out Yonge St as soon as you stepped into the library.

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.06.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.06.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.06.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.07.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.07.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.07.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.07.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.06.46 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.06.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.06.02 PM.png
    805.4 KB · Views: 1,088
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.06.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.06.17 PM.png
    757.1 KB · Views: 1,055
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.06.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.06.31 PM.png
    835.6 KB · Views: 1,055
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.07.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.07.00 PM.png
    816.3 KB · Views: 1,052
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.07.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.07.13 PM.png
    766 KB · Views: 1,040
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.07.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.07.31 PM.png
    795 KB · Views: 1,021
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.07.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.07.47 PM.png
    823.4 KB · Views: 1,050
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.06.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 7.06.46 PM.png
    772 KB · Views: 1,019
the study places are certainly not dimly lit. there is a ton of natural light, its almost too much.

My favourite floor has got to be the top floor. (I'm posting from there right now actually)

Every study room has a wall which is entirely a whiteboard.

I got talking to some staff about the bridge to the library. On the second level of the bridge it opens up to quite a large space over O'Keefe lane, and I asked why there wasn't any furniture there. I got quite an interesting response actually, about how the City does not allow "occupied space" over city right of ways in fears of a lawsuit (bridge collapses, etc.). Seems like a bit silly of a law if you ask me, but at the same time makes sense.

Overall, the building is one of the best university buildings that I have seen in this province. Absolutely incredible, and absolutely destroys whatever remains of the "Rye High" image.

the study places are certainly not dimly lit. there is a ton of natural light, its almost too much.

Perhaps--when it's light out. When it's dark, which in late fall and early winter semester is a lot of the time students are studying, you need good lighting. But whatever--not going to get into it about the desk lamps in this building.

And yes, you're right. This building belies the Rye High image--and that's to be celebrated.

Thanks for posting all of those updated photos yesterday! This is a great addition to the Ryerson campus and to the streetscape on Yonge St.

I have to say, this building looks fantastic. I love the modern design and the open spaces, in addition to the splashes of colour defining the area. From the outside, this looks more like an art gallery than a school. Nicely done.

Day 2 and every single study space is already being well-used. It didn't take time for the student community to discover this building... it was clearly needed. Really exciting to see it so well-received.

Great shots, but I'm calling out Rye High for not installing lamps at those study desks. Lamps are integral, especially in large, concrete spaces that naturally dull light.

I'm using a 7th-level study desk right now and I'd like to point out that every desk has an LED light strip which can be turned on or off, located just underneath the white bar that separates your desk and the facing desk.

In addition, the spaces are very bright, even on a dreary winter day like today.

I'm at the student centre right now, and it's already being widely used. It's so amazing, because before this building we really didn't have and official common campus space. You walk in and see so many students from so many different programs gathering together. It really feels more like a classic university. I'm sure this will greatly improve campus life and encourage students to stay/study on campus.

I'm not too concerned about the fact that it was a sauna inside there today, that will be addressed soon enough.

Ran a conference at RCC over the weekend. Was a sauna in there as well. Told it is to avoid pipes bursting around campus.

In G.L.17's 6th photo above, there is a guy with an automated camera track. These are what they use to shoot moving time lapse footage. I wonder when we will get to see the lovely video someone is clearly producing?

In G.L.17's 6th photo above, there is a guy with an automated camera track. These are what they use to shoot moving time lapse footage. I wonder when we will get to see the lovely video someone is clearly producing?

LOL. I assumed it was someone from UT doing it for another story.

Went back again today. Good to see the place really hopping. One guy was even blasting music and breakdancing in 'The Beach'.

Student Learning Centre by Marcanadian, on Flickr

Wow it really lights up Yonge street!

I think it can only be a good thing to have such a large body of students in a building facing Yonge street. I wonder if it will significantly alter the economics of surrounding retail.

Back