This project is really moving fast. Good to see the progress on this massive site. Betcha it gets completed before the crane on the L Tower comes down.

Pic taken Feb 23, 2018

jJ6bHen.jpg

thanks for the pics. Amazing how quick a hole can be dug with that many trucks coming and going. Looks like they are already hitting bottom underneath the office tower, we may see a crane before April. The portion under the residential part is deeper though, it should take a bit longer.

Anyone know if this is the largest underground ever constructed in the city? City hall is the only other one of similar scale I can think of, and this is significantly deeper. Maybe the Eaton Centre? though there isn't much underground parking there.

Been a UT member for 10 years and I've never seen an excavation this intense. I guess this is what you get when the show is run by a $7 billion corporation.

In the photo of the cross section of the Wells development, I see two holding tanks below the parking levels. I was wondering if that is the real size of the tanks? If so how deep down do they have to go below the parking levels? And if more shoring is involved to dig further down, after the parking level have been dugout ?

Some of it is going down as far as 7 levels.

The vast majority of it is 7 levels. Only under the office tower is 4 levels.

When they get to P7 - they'll drill the 2 Enwave tanks.

So I guess there is more shoring involved then digging it out with something like a bobcat !

No further shoring required to the best of my knowledge - the bottom 4 levels will be dug in the shale.

Couple of quick calculations - the site is about 25,000m2 in area. 7 levels down at 3.5m per level on average is 24.5m.

That's 612,500m3 (801,000 cubic yards) of excavated material to be hauled off site - assuming you went down 7 levels across the whole site.

An dump truck holds about 12 cubic yards of earth - so that's 66,750 dump trucks to be filled. I wonder how many trucks a day are there?

You might want to re-read my calculation.

^i'm getting about 760,000 cubic metres of soil to be removed - the area of the p7 level area is about 26,000sm, going down 25.5m according to the architectural plans. The part going down 4 levels under the office building is about 4,800sm, going down 19.5m. Total: 760,000cm or around 82,000 dump trucks of soil.

And that is without the enwave tanks, which are another large amount of soil.

Also, total lot area is about 30,800sm, not 25,000.

To dig that volume in the standard excavation period of 6 months, they need to average about 500 trucks a day. A DAY.

Last edited:

Back