Are you actually a trust fund douche-bag or do you just sound like one? Being able to go to sleep at midnight on a Thurs in an area that is 95% residential comes before your need to party until 3am and the bylaws agree with me. Unfortunately they don't get enforced 95% of the time. You want to party, go find somewhere where you don't disturb more people than are being entertained. Not to mention the stabbings, drug dealing and fights that happen at this intersection.
NIMBYism at its best! Welcome to big city living. I am always surprised when I hear someone upset with bars and nightclubs DT, where there should be bars and nightclubs.... Why do you think they're called NIGHTclubs? This type of city life should be celebrated, it is what makes a city amazing. Very few want to visit a city with no nightlife. It is what attracts young talent, and it is what makes a city colourful. Toronto shouldn't thrive to be Newmarket, with just more buildings. If anything, we need more night action, and not just on Friday and Saturday nights.

I live right DT, and yes, some nights can be hard to sleep with my window open, but this was the compromise I made living in the heart of the city where everything is at my fingertips and I have the luxury of walking and biking everywhere. I'd rather live in a box above a nightclub over the burbs and have to take the DVP twice a day (never again). But that's just me, and why I live in the city. Something I am thankful for each and everyday.

Btw, ear plugs are extremely effective and very cheap ;)

NIMBYism at its best! Welcome to big city living. I am always surprised when I hear someone upset with bars and nightclubs DT, where there should be bars and nightclubs.... Why do you think they're called NIGHTclubs? This type of city life should be celebrated, it is what makes a city amazing. Very few want to visit a city with no nightlife. It is what attracts young talent, and it is what makes a city colourful. Toronto shouldn't thrive to be Newmarket, with just more buildings. If anything, we need more night action, and not just on Friday and Saturday nights.

I live right DT, and yes, some nights can be hard to sleep with my window open, but this was the compromise I made living in the heart of the city where everything is at my fingertips and I have the luxury of walking and biking everywhere. I'd rather live in a box above a nightclub over the burbs and have to take the DVP twice a day (never again). But that's just me, and why I live in the city. Something I am thankful for each and everyday.

Btw, ear plugs are extremely effective and very cheap ;)

I have been living in downtown Toronto for almost 30 years. I agree that you cannot expect 24/7 tranquillity, and over the years, I have used vast quantities of ear plugs (currently to block out Manulife Centre construction noise at night). However, neighbourhoods evolve. Downtown is vastly more populated than when I arrived; more and more people choose to live here. It stands to reason that in the end, they will be the ones who dictate which commercial uses they tolerate and which they don't.

New ramp almost done. Tuesday Aug 14
B72A3A3C-B2E5-4966-9E77-7F703309C578.jpeg

Attachments

• B72A3A3C-B2E5-4966-9E77-7F703309C578.jpeg
    B72A3A3C-B2E5-4966-9E77-7F703309C578.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 1,536
Wow, hard to believe that those 3 blocks will be home to over 10.000 people
.... with 3 bldgs. over 100 meters, 7 over 200 meters and a supertall:eek:

It can't come fast enough. And I don't mean that from a skyscraper-geek point of view, but from a housing one. A couple of friends have recently had to go looking for new apartments, and rents are truly out of control! I'm shocked at the rents being charged even compared to the last time I was looking, just three years ago. New supply in locations like this one is desperately needed.

The prospect of moving to Toronto to start a career is daunting. But it's where the jobs are and it's basically what young adults from smaller cities in Ontario have to do. I think it's safe to say a lot of Ontario's economy is bottle-necked on lack of supply of housing in Toronto. So yes, please build as much as possible.

It can't come fast enough. And I don't mean that from a skyscraper-geek point of view, but from a housing one. A couple of friends have recently had to go looking for new apartments, and rents are truly out of control! I'm shocked at the rents being charged even compared to the last time I was looking, just three years ago. New supply in locations like this one is desperately needed.

The prospect of moving to Toronto to start a career is daunting. But it's where the jobs are and it's basically what young adults from smaller cities in Ontario have to do. I think it's safe to say a lot of Ontario's economy is bottle-necked on lack of supply of housing in Toronto. So yes, please build as much as possible.

The problem is growth is only directed to a very small portion of this city.

While 10,000 people should definitely be moving into these three blocks given the proximity to the downtown core, there are not many sites like Lower Yonge just sitting around. Nor do I think that level of density should be desired everywhere.

The problem is growth is only directed to a very small portion of this city.

While 10,000 people should definitely be moving into these three blocks given the proximity to the downtown core, there are not many sites like Lower Yonge just sitting around. Nor do I think that level of density should be desired everywhere.

There is actually quite a bit of land available to built on in TO. When you compare TO with old European cities we have parking lots and under utilized land galore. I think the issue is more nuanced and multi-faceted than lack of space. High rise concrete construction is booming compared to historic levels, skilled labour in this area is lacking. It takes time for the market to ramp up in available skills, infrastructure, and general resources. This has been driving construction costs through the roof. This will sort itself out when supply catches up with demand. Planning and approval in the city is tedious, nothing is formulaic, everything is grey and goes through review panels. To make things worse the city's planning department is ridiculously over worked. This has been recently relieved a bit by the hiring of a small army of planners. Developers and land owners have little incentive to build, every year they sit on undeveloped land it appreciates double digit percentages. Why sell this year for 10 million when you can get 11-12 million next year for the same plot of land/pre-construction condo building. I've personally seen this behavior in a commodity market that has high steady appreciation while the rest of the market sees low margins (interest rates and returns on the market as a whole are still at historic lows).

It's true that development is focused on a few very small chunks of the city but these areas have lots of under utilized land. Just look at the east of down town. Sure there is a lot of construction here but it is minuscule compared to what could be built there.

Back