242.3 KB · Views: 2,029
Too bad this whole project took so long to figure out:(

First announced in 2007 and this application from back in June of 2011

Good news to spruce up this derelict area

158 STERLING RD

OPA / Rezoning 11 228729 STE 18 OZ Ward 18
- Tor & E.York Jun 28, 2011 --- --- --- Phipps, Sarah
(416) 392-7622

OPA and Rezoning application for mixed use lot OPA (site specific) application for entire site to create new mixed use development with mix of employment and residentail uses. Multiple blocks associated with site. Rezoning application for - Block 1B (extend MCR Zoning from Block 1A) and Block 3 (existing Heritage tower automotive building) Refer to draft amendments included in application.

After visiting the new MOCA space for Doors Open, it's hard to believe this is where I filmed this rave scene, many years ago:

MOCA Promise.png

Last edited:
I think size-wise, the Automotive Building is comparable to Museum of Arts and Design in New York- I hope MOCA will be able to take over those remaining floors in the future.

The museum is shockingly underwhelming.

Yeah, I was predisposed to love this place (I love me both some adaptive reuse and a good contemporary art museum), but MOCA is just so disappointing. The spaces themselves are too untouched, the overall footprint of the museum space isn't big enough to allow the museum to have much of an impact, and so much of the building (including the highest floor) is inaccessible to the public. They need more space that would allow them to be more ambitious with their programming.

The cafe is lovely, though.

Yeah, I was predisposed to love this place (I love me both some adaptive reuse and a good contemporary art museum), but MOCA is just so disappointing. The spaces themselves are too untouched, the overall footprint of the museum space isn't big enough to allow the museum to have much of an impact, and so much of the building (including the highest floor) is inaccessible to the public. They need more space that would allow them to be more ambitious with their programming.

The cafe is lovely, though.

I completely agree. I was so optimistic and excited for the new MOCA but it turned out to be such a severe let down. I can't put my finger on what it is, but the navigation of the space feels awkward, having to navigate each floor by elevator (yes there are stairs but they are tucked away and feel like they are not designed to be in use other than as a fire exit). Not that elevators are bad, but each floor is not that large, and are all designed like one open room. Each floor essentially consists of one "art installation", and there are realistically only 3 of these floors. The museum says there are 4 floors, because they include the first floor, but honestly the first floor just feels like a mess - and doesn't really contain enough art to really count it as part of the museum imo. In general, the museum felt desolate, unfinished, and lacklustre. There weren't even any gallery walls of modern art - just entire spaces dedicated to awkward spacial 'experiences'. Who knows, maybe the new set of exhibitions will be better.

Actual art aside, the interior of the building just feels half assed. I really wanted to like it, but it just feels like a giant wasted opportunity.

Oh well, at least the building itself (exterior) is still a nice architectural icon in the neighbourhood.

I completely agree. I was so optimistic and excited for the new MOCA but it turned out to be such a severe let down. I can't put my finger on what it is, but the navigation of the space feels awkward, having to navigate each floor by elevator (yes there are stairs but they are tucked away and feel like they are not designed to be in use other than as a fire exit). Not that elevators are bad, but each floor is not that large, and are all designed like one open room. Each floor essentially consists of one "art installation", and there are realistically only 3 of these floors. The museum says there are 4 floors, because they include the first floor, but honestly the first floor just feels like a mess - and doesn't really contain enough art to really count it as part of the museum imo. In general, the museum felt desolate, unfinished, and lacklustre. There weren't even any gallery walls of modern art - just entire spaces dedicated to awkward spacial 'experiences'. Who knows, maybe the new set of exhibitions will be better.

Actual art aside, the interior of the building just feels half assed. I really wanted to like it, but it just feels like a giant wasted opportunity.

Oh well, at least the building itself (exterior) is still a nice architectural icon in the neighbourhood.

On the plus side, if one looks at the museum as a whole as a performance art piece, it beautifully captures the cultural essence of Toronto.

The museum just doesn't likely have a lot of money to lease the entire building from Castlepoint Numa, hence the limited squarefootage being available. I am going to pin it on lack of funding (e.g. you get what you pay for) and the developer greed.

Who knows, maybe the new set of exhibitions will be better.

FWIW, I'm hearing great things about the Dead Tree exhibit on now.

Haven't been myself, as yet, but it's on the to-do list.

The museum just doesn't likely have a lot of money to lease the entire building from Castlepoint Numa, hence the limited squarefootage being available. I am going to pin it on lack of funding (e.g. you get what you pay for) and the developer greed.

Well, it's not so much the lack of square footage, but the poor use of it and the lack of programming (is that what people call it?). The installations (at least from a month or two ago) were pretty lame. Sorry to be blunt (and perhaps apologies to the artists), but I'm sure that anyone coming to a contemporary art museum in a major city would expect much, much more.

As for developer greed, don't even get me started on family-run Castlepoint Numa. One of the worst. Especially with Alfredo Romano and all his virtue signalling (affordable housing, advocate for the arts, etc.). It's all so fake. I should stop myself here before I get onto an endless rant...

Anyway, to try to remain optimistic, hopefully the Dead Tree exhibit is good (as u/Northern Light pointed out), and if so perhaps that is a sign of better things to come.

lol

Developers aren't charities. The need a return - giving half of their building to a museum with well below market rents isn't going to do that, even if the developer is feeling generous.

OK this is such an "I'm 14 and I have just heard about this thing called libertarianism and market economy" type of take on things here. It's a little more complicated than that. Castlepoint Numa has clearly been hoping that MOCA would be an anchor to this neighbourhood and expedite its rise to viability. By doing such a lousy job there and not supporting the museum sufficiently it set itself up for failure. THAT is greed.

"Developers aren't charities. The need a return..."

Seriously?

OK this is such an "I'm 14 and I have just heard about this thing called libertarianism and market economy" type of take on things here. It's a little more complicated than that. Castlepoint Numa has clearly been hoping that MOCA would be an anchor to this neighbourhood and expedite its rise to viability. By doing such a lousy job there and not supporting the museum sufficiently it set itself up for failure. THAT is greed.

"Developers aren't charities. The need a return..."

Seriously?
Is it? I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that Moca's space is significantly larger than their old Queen West space. I'm sure that Castlepoint Numa gave them a sweetheart deal already.. As you correctly point out, they are the anchor for the area that will drive investment from companies and condo buyers that can actually afford to pay their way.. My point was that even if they are the anchor and get a discount price, a developer still can't give them a free 10 storey building. the fact that a minimally funded art museum even managed to secure more or less new build space is remarkable.

The problem here isn't that the developer is greedy - it's that MOCA isn't properly funded.

Zeidler's Toronto office moves after 60 years downtown

Zeidler Architecture Inc. (CNW Group/Zeidler Architecture Inc.)

NEWS PROVIDED BY
Zeidler Architecture Inc.
Jan 06, 2020, 09:00 ET
TORONTO, Jan. 6, 2020 /CNW/ - Our Toronto office has officially moved to the Tower Automotive Building at 158 Sterling Road after over 60 years in downtown Toronto. Moving directly above the Museum of Contemporary Art Toronto, we're joining an established community of artists with the MOCA being a major anchor for the neighbourhood.

Senior Partner Vaidila Banelis says, "Our move to Sterling Road represents an exciting new chapter for our firm. Our Queen Street office wasn't a fit for us anymore. We were spread across three floors in a design that catered to a time when we were drafting by hand. We don't work like that anymore." Our new office is designed as an open concept space, centered on a communal kitchen and library area. "We have a collaborative work culture, so it was important for us to design a number of diverse spaces where we could connect and co-create."

Having been based in our 315 Queen Street West office for over 35 years, we have had the opportunity to design a number of exciting projects right at our doorstep. Partner David Collins says, "The Junction Triangle neighbourbood is evolving, and we're looking forward to being part of its growth."

Our new mailing address is:
158 Sterling Road
6th Floor
Toronto, Ontario
M6R 2B2

About Zeidler
www.zeidler.com

Zeidler is a leading Canadian architectural practice. We are passionate, curious designers and we pursue excellence in everything we do. Our rich award-winning portfolio across Canada spans industry sectors, allowing us to offer a unique perspective that brings innovation and adaptability to each project we deliver. With offices in Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Victoria, Berlin, and Beijing, our team collaborates on inspiring buildings that foster social engagement, facilitate excellence, and deliver enduring value.
SOURCE Zeidler Architecture Inc.

Back