Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
4926 BATHURST ST
Ward 6: York Centre

Development Applications

Project description:
Official Plan and Zoning By Law Amendment Application to permit the proposal for a 26 storey mixed use building.

This site is located at the SW corner of Bathurst St / Finch Ave W and currently hosts a Shell gas station/Tim Hortons. The site was listed for sale in July 2019 by CBRE and marketed as an "investment and future residential development" opportunity.

Aerial view(s) of site from sales brochure:

1605821260035.png

1605821285998.png

Last edited:
Here comes the skyscrapers on Finch Avenue now that the LRT is being built ! This is a nice looking building for average looking neighbourhood. I like the round corner wall that faces Bathurst and Finch and indented corners for the other corners of the tower. And the podium that has mass vegetation around it really makes this development.

^I highly doubt the Finch West LRT has anything to do with this development. Finch West station is more than 4km away from this proposal, and if anything Finch station is less than half the distance.

Preliminary Report on this one to the March 1st, 2021 meeting of NYCC

Report here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-162826.pdf

Some concern expressed about the height/density on this one.

From the report:

1613763138026.png

But my read of the report, in its full context suggests less concern about the building on its own; than the results of an Avenue Segment Study done for the proponent indication large potential for intensification nearyby, at significant scale.

The suggestion (in my opinion) being that there may be insufficient transit to support the type of density that might roll out, if this precedent is established.

From the report:

1613763298551.png

Last edited:
Here comes the skyscrapers on Finch Avenue now that the LRT is being built ! This is a nice looking building for average looking neighbourhood. I like the round corner wall that faces Bathurst and Finch and indented corners for the other corners of the tower. And the podium that has mass vegetation around it really makes this development.
Also, the new development is close to a religious school, SW of it.

Could someone explain if this is a done deal? I do like the idea of developing the corner. However, 26-storey building would have a significant pressure on infrastructure. Which will mean it will tower over the other low rise buildings which are 10-storey. Bathurst and Finch is already one of the worse intersection in the city. As well this will place additional burden to the community as far as EMS/policing support. There is a high school across the street with students. Again my question is - is this a done deal? Can we have a town hall about this development?

Could someone explain if this is a done deal? I do like the idea of developing the corner. However, 26-storey building would have a significant pressure on infrastructure. Which will mean it will tower over the other low rise buildings which are 10-storey. Bathurst and Finch is already one of the worse intersection in the city. As well this will place additional burden to the community as far as EMS/policing support. There is a high school across the street with students. Again my question is - is this a done deal? Can we have a town hall about this development?
Hi Rosanna, welcome to UrbanToronto.

This project requires not just rezoning, but also an Official Plan Amendment, so it will be a rather slow, painstaking process to gain all the approvals it needs, and it will likely be revised—to greater or lesser degrees—during the process. Certainly there will be community consultation on it. The City, however, mostly relies on expert-written studies in determining whether the infrastructure of all types in the area can handle a the new proposal or not, over that of locals claiming in might cause a strain of some sort. If those concerns are also identified in studies, then the deficiencies will have to be addressed before it goes through.

This project requires not just rezoning, but also an Official Plan Amendment, so it will be a rather slow, painstaking process to gain all the approvals it needs, and it will likely be revised—to greater or lesser degrees—during the process. Certainly there will be community consultation on it. The City, however, mostly relies on expert-written studies in determining whether the infrastructure of all types in the area can handle a the new proposal or not, over that of locals claiming in might cause a strain of some sort. If those concerns are also identified in studies, then the deficiencies will have to be addressed before it goes through.

Thank you 42. I've been reading up on the proposal - crazy # of documents. A few things I noticed about this development: 1 - the physical signs have been willfully placed face down or moved behind the bus shelter. 2 - the community notification was sent to 400m from the development. I'm 1.2k away. The transportation study clearly shows my street involved in the review - yet we were not included in the notification or consultation. The study itself was conducted during the pandemic and while the community was under lock down. There is a high school directly across the street from the development. Yet there is no mention of this in the study or the impacts of the student/pedestrian movement. So the traffic and pedestrian volumes are no where close to what they truly are. The development is sitting on the border of 2 wards - which means 2 city Councillors. I'm just starting to scratch the surface and not sure how to move forward. Do I start reaching out to the neighbours about it or work through both Councillors.

Thank you 42. I've been reading up on the proposal - crazy # of documents. A few things I noticed about this development: 1 - the physical signs have been willfully placed face down or moved behind the bus shelter. 2 - the community notification was sent to 400m from the development. I'm 1.2k away. The transportation study clearly shows my street involved in the review - yet we were not included in the notification or consultation. The study itself was conducted during the pandemic and while the community was under lock down. There is a high school directly across the street from the development. Yet there is no mention of this in the study or the impacts of the student/pedestrian movement. So the traffic and pedestrian volumes are no where close to what they truly are. The development is sitting on the border of 2 wards - which means 2 city Councillors. I'm just starting to scratch the surface and not sure how to move forward. Do I start reaching out to the neighbours about it or work through both Councillors.
There's no conspiracy to limit the notification of the development: 400 metres from the site is much further out from it than the City normally circulates the notices, and certainly the City never, never, never ever sends notices 1.2 km away: the statutory requirement is only 120 metres, so the City is actually going above and beyond what is required here.

Regarding the traffic study: these are put together by professionals and reviewed by professionals, all of whom are aware of the situation we find ourselves in now in regards to lowered traffic counts. If there are any issues with the study, the City will pick up on it. A building proposed 1.2 km away from you, and at the meeting point of two major transit routes, is going to have negligible traffic impact on you, so reaching out to your immediate neighbours to rally support strikes me as overkill: you are a long way away from this. Meanwhile, spots like this at the meeting point of two arterial roads is exactly where the City is happy to get applications such as this. Whether this one is too dense and/or tall, or not, will get hammered out as part of the planning process.

There may be some interest in this for the Councillor whose ward this is across from (Filion), but the one who would be the lead on this is the one whose ward this is actually in, so that's James Pasternak.

In the end, remember that there are intense development pressures on the GTA, with a demand for housing that outstrips supply. We have to add housing, so the responsible thing to do is to put it where there is infrastructure in place to support it (like here), and not out in far flung suburbs that used to be productive farmland. It will be a waste of your time and the planet's resources to try to stop development here, but it may be worth your time to help shape what does get approved, if you think you might have some insight that cold make the project better.

There are indeed many studies that are required as part of an application, but that really supports what @interchange42 has been saying: these are highly technical things that aren't often swayed by anecdotal evidence and personal foibles. Many folks in the private sector have done their job to produce studies and reports, now it's up to the City to review and assess their contents and conclusions.

It seems your issues stem primarily from traffic generation - are there other problems you have with this proposal?

Was up in this neck of the woods for my Pfizer booster shot today. How my wife got us both appointments on the first day of eligibility is a mystery to me, but glad to have it.

Anyway, you're checking the thread for my update, which is just a couple pics of the site in its present form:

PXL_20211220_214521678.jpg

PXL_20211220_214534570.MP-01.jpeg

Was up in this neck of the woods for my Pfizer booster shot today. How my wife got us both appointments on the first day of eligibility is a mystery to me, but glad to have it.

Anyway, you're checking the thread for my update, which is just a couple pics of the site in its present form:

View attachment 370526

View attachment 370528
I called and had a booster within 18 hours. There was zero line to get it either. The complete opposite of the first dose hunger games.

Back