Given the depth of this project's underground levels and what'll probably be equally as deep across the street at 5800 Yonge, how is any alignment of a future Yonge subway extension going to be possible? Not sure if this has been covered in the actual Yonge extension thread, but the only way I see a possible alignment is either the tracks take a jog east/west of Yonge underneath the single family homes or a cut and cover method directly underneath Yonge.

In North York, north of highway 401, the Yonge Subway line is directly under Yonge Street; Finch subway platform is directly under Yonge Street,... and it’s tail track already goes to Cummer/Drewry right under Yonge Street.

And soon to have four.

IMG_6825.JPG
IMG_6824.JPG
IMG_6822.JPG
IMG_6820.JPG
IMG_6818.JPG
IMG_6817.JPG

For background re-read my previous post from 8 months ago:

- Original SilverCore approved redevelopment of NewtonBrook Plaza had the Community Centre & Non-Profit Child Care space within the new Park (eastern edge of site)

- New developer Aoyuan M2M proposed moving the Community Centre & Non-Profit Child Care space into Phase 2 condo podium so new Park would have more open space
- New developer Aoyuan M2M also proposed introduction of a new Public Library within the required Community Space taking up about 40% of Phase 2 podium - at the rear (as pictured below) as follow: Non-Profit Child Care Centre on 1st floor, Public Library on 2nd floor and Community Centre on 3rd FloorView attachment 233274
I posted about this last Spring when Aoyuan proposed it to City & Community:

Problem is:
- Councillor Office didn't like Community Centre & Public Library hidden in rear of podium away from Yonge Street
- Toronto Parks & Recreation thought the proposed 25,000 square feet Community Centre was "too small to be functional"

Toronto Parks & Recreation suggested getting another 20,000 square feet for the Community Centre which local Councillor Filion requested from developer Aoyuan; not officially finalized yet but Aoyuan seems happy to oblige so Community Centre will increase to 45,000 square feet while Public Library & Child Care Centre space will remain basically the same size (each covering about 40% of phase 2 podium floor-plate). I suspect the new Community Centre & Public Library will also have more visibility from Yonge Street (at the cost of Retail space) or at least a token entrance on Yonge Street.

To see new site plan of Community Centre, Child Care centre & Public Library - we'll have to wait until Aoyuan officially submit Site Plans for Phase 2

- The Silvercore Newtonbrook Plaza redevelopment settlement include requirement for 3,232m2 of indoor Community Space (Community Centre and Non-Profit Daycare) - already negotiated based on height, density, zoning - developer fee/charges, section 37 Community Benefit, Parkland, Section 42 roads, etc,...
- Aoyuan M2M added Public Library - which initially diverts community space mainly from Community Centre which would be 25,000 sqft but City Parks and Recreation Staff states that would be smallest Community Centre in system and not large enough to offer a decent menu of programing and request additional 20,000 sqft
- As per my previous post from 8 months ago - Aoyuan M2M happy to add additional 20,000 sqft to create 45,000 sqft "Olympic Garden"(?) Community Centre

Problem is "developers never do anything for free" - so now City Staff has to figure out a mechanism that'll allow Aoyuan to contribute the additional 20,000 sqft (see attached local Councillor's request for City Staff via North York Community Council). I'm guessing,...
- Aoyuan M2M could be allowed more height and density likely for the proposed mid-rise at corner of Yonge & Cummer VS adding it to the 2 towers of Phase 2 Not likely to add more height & density to Phase 1 towers since it's already under construction with building permits issues - but that has happened before *cough*Bazis*cough*EmeraldPark*cough* (same height but more density by chopping ceiling height to add couple more storeys)
- OR allowing another nearby developer project to place 20,000 sqft of their off-site indoor Community Space here at Aoyuan's M2M

Anyways, this seems to be holding up the formal submission of the development application for Phase 2 - I originally expected that by year end. But now likely next summer at the earliest.

Filion_CommunityCentreM2M.PNG

Phase 2 doesn't contain Aoyuan's promised Library - likely because Aoyuan & City haven't been able to agree on how to add it within M2M's current built form = the original Silvercore Newtonbrook Plaze redevelopment settlement agreement. Seems Library will probably be added to Phase 3 - but only if that mid-rise gets more height and density which would require more Section 37 Community Benefit (Library)

Phase 2 Level 1 - notice Bank along Yonge frontage southern corner (bottom right) and day-care along east side (top right) - also has odd retail layout with Yonge frontage retail then internal north-south L-shape corridor and the internal retail (no windows) - maybe that's reserved for Library if they could figure out settlement/compensation mechanism as I mentioned in my previous post.
AoyuanM2M_Phase2Level1Whole.PNG

Phase 2 Level 2 - day-care along east side (top right):
AoyuanM2M_Phase2Level2Whole.PNG

Phase 2 Level 3 - Community Centre along east side (top):
AoyuanM2M_Phase2Level3.PNG

Phase 2 Level 4 - Community Centre along east side (top) - 2-level gym to have upper level running track along perimeter of gym:
AoyuanM2M_Phase2Level4.PNG

Back