News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

@afransen has it right above; I'll add that the discounters are where the TCHC/Coops are for the most part; market-housing downtown is comparatively expensive.

So you'll see 3 discounters in the vicinity of St. Jamestown (Food Basics, Freshco and NF); you have another Freshco at Regent Park, NF near the St. Lawrence area.

The exceptions in the mix are the Moss Park area, though the Regent Park Freshco isn't too far; the dollarstore on Sherbourne north of Queen was a supermarket when the complex was built and for decades afterwards.

Also Alexandra Park doesn't really have a discounter close at hand.
155 Sherbourne was a ValuMart they had one robbery then closed it down. Interesting to note there were no other No Frills downtown til TCHC built the family building at 501 Adelaide East in 2009.

T&T announcing the new store on College Street (which I confirmed here awhile ago ;) ); and also providing a tentative opening date of September.

Although I'm happy they will have another downtown store to replace the previous one, I am sad that this store is essentially in Chinatown and may cause some loss of business for the mom and pop places. I would have been happier with another location more central and away from Chinatown.

Although I'm happy they will have another downtown store to replace the previous one, I am sad that this store is essentially in Chinatown and may cause some loss of business for the mom and pop places. I would have been happier with another location more central and away from Chinatown.

While I fully support the mom and pop shops that make Chinatown, the area is in desperate need of gentrification.

Anytime I go down to that area, there are boxes and garbage everywhere (both organic and regular) along with a somewhat pungent odor. It is somewhere I avoid and consider somewhat of a dump.

Sobeys is charging 15 cents per paper bag, which rip as soon as they’re packed and aren’t guaranteed to get home.

2AAEFC15-F6CB-460B-91AD-E067F4204EA1.jpeg

Sobeys is charging 15 cents per paper bag, which rip as soon as they’re packed and aren’t guaranteed to get home.

View attachment 326427

They should be stronger and have handle.

Whole Foods was doing paper bags 20+ years ago, and unless they got drenched in the rain, they held up, often for more than a single-use.

I would add, I also had the experience of having one of their light-reusable bags (fabric kind) completely rip from one end to the other along the seem. Fortunately nothing was broken/damaged etc as a result.

Single use plastic bags are in many ways the most environmentally sustainable. Paper bags and reusable fabric bags have a lot of embodied resources, far more than single use plastic. Fabric bags, particularly cotton, have to be used hundreds of times to justify themselves. The only environmental downside of plastic bags is improper disposal.

How do they all end up having this exact same marketing gimmick on the exact same week?

IMG_20210626_075744.jpg

Back