Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New application in the AIC for the Delta Bingo site on St. Clair West.

Proposal for multiple towers 30-45s, 1151 units

1628768643019.png

Link: http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do?folderRsn=2YFJpKSY7MfWg8f4i3nSWg==

Aerial Pic of site:

1628768542790.png

Site area: ~1.4 hectares / 3.5 acres

Pic, courtesy of @AlbertC who made note of activity here in the 'St. Clair West' thread about 3 weeks ago.

1628768764483.png

Direct Link to Albert's post: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/st-clair-west.5198/post-1714837

Lol I guess having proposed GO stations should make developers shoot for astronomical densities no matter what the neighborhood context is like.

Sorry but this is just way too much.

Lol I guess having proposed GO stations should make developers shoot for astronomical densities no matter what the neighborhood context is like.

Sorry but this is just way too much.
Disagree.

Think I'm leaning PE's direction here.

Its a solid T.O.C. (transportation-oriented community site).

Here there is nothing particularly appealing about the site as is; so there's no issue around saving something on-site.

It also abuts the railway corridor on its entire western perimeter, and will cast shade primarily on said corridor and to some degree St. Clair depending on massing.
Given the extreme width of St. Clair here, this isn't the issue it might be elsewhere, the street should still see lots of sun from the west and east; and along the northern sidewalk as well.

That doesn't make me a champion for a development I haven't seen yet; this could be some awful monstrosity; but I don't think the height itself is likely to be a deciding issue.
A thoughtful proposal could work in that height range, I think.

It will appear ridiculous next to the adjacent homes; said homes, apologies to the owners, aren't much to look at, and should be disappeared for something a bit denser and that can play well with this parcel.

While I'd be content to see something a bit smaller, which the City may well achieve; on balance there's something workable here.

Edit to add: With 290 in play on the site just to the south, it would be ideal if the proposals were planned together in respect of park space.
A continguous chunk of park of usable size would be much better than two tiny ones!

Thread for 290:

Last edited:
Density here is fine honestly. I would like to see more mid rise block redevelopments farther into Toronto's sprawl but there are already towers all over the city and there will continue to be.

We need housing, and preferably without continuing to redevelop farmland or the greenbelt (which if preserved properly could create one of the greenest urban "parks" in the world as sprawl continues)

All that to say, the height here should be fine I'll wait to see a rendering before I judge this development

Last edited:
Lots of other potential sites around here as well I would imagine in addition to those already in the development pipeline and if tower is the precedent we could be looking at another little mini skyline here. This is in the realm of the Islington Terrace buildings for reference point.

Carlyle Junction, on the westside of the railways, is the other notable project in the pipeline for the area. Although considering Carlyle's recent track record I wouldn't be surprised if they're looking to flip the property later on to someone else.

The other corners of Old Weston & St. Clair West comes to mind as other redevelopment candidates, especially since activity has already begun for a few years now with Scoup condos complete, and Scout and Reunion Crossing now under construction.

Revitalizing the old Heydon House could turn it into a new focal point for the area. Similar to the Gladstone House, Broadview Hotel, or even how the former Winchester Hotel in Cabbagetown was recently restored.

There's also the old Weston Flea Market property, which is another huge chunk of land to redevelop. Although, I believe that site has the complications of being currently zoned as employment lands.

Last edited:
Think I'm leaning PE's direction here.

Its a solid T.O.C. (transportation-oriented community site).

Here there is nothing particularly appealing about the site as is; so there's no issue around saving something on-site.

It also abuts the railway corridor on its entire western perimeter, and will cast shade primarily on said corridor and to some degree St. Clair depending on massing.
Given the extreme width of St. Clair here, this isn't the issue it might be elsewhere, the street should still see lots of sun from the west and east; and along the northern sidewalk as well.

That doesn't make me a champion for a development I haven't seen yet; this could be some awful monstrosity; but I don't think the height itself is likely to be a deciding issue.
A thoughtful proposal could work in that height range, I think.

It will appear ridiculous next to the adjacent homes; said homes, apologies to the owners, aren't much to look at, and should be disappeared for something a bit denser and that can play well with this parcel.

While I'd be content to see something a bit smaller, which the City may well achieve; on balance there's something workable here.

Edit to add: With 290 in play on the site just to the south, it would be ideal if the proposals were planned together in respect of park space.
A continguous chunk of park of usable size would be much better than two tiny ones!

Thread for 290:

This development would absolutely look ridiculous next to adjacent homes, but that's probably the lesser reason for my opposition to this.

Yes there is the traffic reconfiguration studies going on for the Stockyards area, and the GO station (whenever that will be built), but yet again there are still significant traffic problems in the area. Some of which wont be addressed even with the aforementioned solutions put in place (ie: The Keele street funnel down to Dundas, the overcrowded Keele bus, the congestion on both Davenport and Junction Road, etc.). The thought that once again, a GO station will be the magical saviour of all these problems is naive (not saying that you in particular are thinking that way, but that's the way many others are).

For reference, here is a view of the current traffic mess in the area (12:30pm on a Friday, not even typical Rush Hour traffic):

1628872807682.png

Lots of other potential sites around here as well I would imagine in addition to those already in the development pipeline and if tower is the precedent we could be looking at another little mini skyline here. This is in the realm of the Islington Terrace buildings for reference point.
Exactly why I have a problem with all the density on this site. This is something i'd expect in one of Toronto's city centres, not randomly sprouting up around the Stockyards area. The fact that this proposal is taller than a lot of builds we're seeing in our city centres is just outright questionable

This development would absolutely look ridiculous next to adjacent homes, but that's probably the lesser reason for my opposition to this.

Yes there is the traffic reconfiguration studies going on for the Stockyards area, and the GO station (whenever that will be built), but yet again there are still significant traffic problems in the area. Some of which wont be addressed even with the aforementioned solutions put in place (ie: The Keele street funnel down to Dundas, the overcrowded Keele bus, the congestion on both Davenport and Junction Road, etc.). The thought that once again, a GO station will be the magical saviour of all these problems is naive (not saying that you in particular are thinking that way, but that's the way many others are).

For reference, here is a view of the current traffic mess in the area (12:30pm on a Friday, not even typical Rush Hour traffic):

View attachment 341258

Exactly why I have a problem with all the density on this site. This is something i'd expect in one of Toronto's city centres, not randomly sprouting up around the Stockyards area. The fact that this proposal is taller than a lot of builds we're seeing in our city centres is just outright questionable

Fair point on the traffic issues, I await the traffic study to see what it has to say on the subject.

I hate using traffic as an excuse not to build because everywhere in Toronto can make that claim. However not everywhere can claim to have a row street car and a go stop.

for the record I drive these streets daily so it will effect my lifestyle but if everyone used traffic as an excuse we might as well stop building in Toronto.

Back