News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Wouldn't an alarm or some automatic braking occur during any derailment?
That depends on whether the equipment has "over rotation" sensors as part of its installed equipment. And it might, but it's also possible that the carbodies didn't move far enough away to trigger it until it attempted to traverse the crossover. It is noted in the preliminary TSB report that the emergency brake application was "train initiated", which means that something on the train itself detected that something was amiss.

Dan

Screenshot_2021-10-11_151631.jpg

Is there even that much demand? Going from 2 car married sets to 6 cars?
4 + power unit...

but pedantry aside, the current sets are staying and will be operated in pairs, so Ottawa certainly thinks there is demand. I do get the impression that even if this may be a little excessive, the current capacity is on the low end of what should really be there. Combined with the line's inclination toward relatively infrequent service, high capacity trains DO make sense for Trillium.

4 + power unit...

but pedantry aside, the current sets are staying and will be operated in pairs, so Ottawa certainly thinks there is demand. I do get the impression that even if this may be a little excessive, the current capacity is on the low end of what should really be there. Combined with the line's inclination toward relatively infrequent service, high capacity trains DO make sense for Trillium.
What are they thinking? Half hour service?

What are they thinking? Half hour service?
Every 12 minutes. Since a good chunk of the line is single tracked, that's as much as they can get away with.

The extra capacity is also definitely warranted. Before the shutdown, the trains got absolutely packed especially during the evening when Carleton Students would just completely pack themselves into these tiny trains, and while they can't improve frequency on the line without some heavy rebuilds, they can get longer trains.

Is there even that much demand? Going from 2 car married sets to 6 cars?
In the morning rush, it was a regular occurrence for students to be left behind at Mooney's Bay and Carling stations.
This doubling of capacity is supposed to offer enough capacity to last through until 2046, but with the amount of development taking place on the line it's hard to say how long it will truly last.

With that, I leave this incredibly niche meme here for your consideration:
1DTRPUd.png

To bad they couldn't had started to double track in a number of locations, but would be costly and noisy to move the the rock face back. From what I saw the last time we were there, the south end that was single track was being double as well Bayview Station. Could be wrong on what I was seeing.

From construction photos I have seen, signal track where it could be double for the extension.

At this stage, a single train is only needed regardless of COVID decline as I never saw pack trains during our visits. If it was every 15 minutes before expansion, then headway has increase over the decade from what I remember what it use to be. Getting it down to 12 is a must, other than being a waste going to 30 minutes

To bad they couldn't had started to double track in a number of locations, but would be costly and noisy to move the the rock face back. From what I saw the last time we were there, the south end that was single track was being double as well Bayview Station. Could be wrong on what I was seeing.

From construction photos I have seen, signal track where it could be double for the extension.

At this stage, a single train is only needed regardless of COVID decline as I never saw pack trains during our visits. If it was every 15 minutes before expansion, then headway has increase over the decade from what I remember what it use to be. Getting it down to 12 is a must, other than being a waste going to 30 minutes
They cheaped out on Phase 2. This was the opportunity to double track the line with the current lengthy closure. All we are doing is pushing back the problem to the future. As it stands, proper double tracking will require another protracted shutdown likely measured again in a timeframe of 2 years or more.

The city already got burned when the last upgrade did not pan out to deliver the promised 8 minute frequency. Instead, it only brought 15 minute frequency down to 12 minutes. For a while, they tried to get it down to 10 minute frequency but it couldn't be maintained, which actually was a worse situation when trains couldn't maintain schedules and trains often arrived randomly. With single track operations, once the trains got off schedule, it was very difficult to get them back on schedule. The whole line would back up in both directions.

I have complained twice at public meetings about the lack of improvement in service after spending $600M and the lack of coordination of bus schedules with rail schedules. The response I got was unsatisfactory. It became clear after speaking to OC Transpo officials privately following these meetings that they don't have the resources to coordinate schedules. To some degree, bus and train operations are acting like two separate silos at least regarding the Trillium Line. Transfers between trains and buses are unreliable. You can easily end up waiting 28 or 29 minutes for a connecting bus, something I experienced multiple times.

The south end of the existing route from the Brookfield passing track to South Keys station will remain single tracked and is the choke point that likely will prevent improvement in frequency to 10 minutes. Rail officials have indicated that the Walkley Road overpass needs to be replaced allowing double tracking at that location in order to deliver 10 minute frequency. Oddly, the Walkley Road overpass is currently being rehabilitated. This has left me scratching my head. If they are doing this much, why not simply replace it now?

The southern portion of Phase 2 between Leitrim and Limebank is to be double tracked. I believe this is to provide more flexibility for train passing but in some sense, it is weird that the section with the least ridership will be double tracked first, although the portion on the north end of the route between Bayview and Gladstone will also be double tracked.

Trains at peak periods going to and from Carleton University can be packed with the existing Lint trains. I have been on standing room only trains. The Lint trains are not ideal for standing with the lack of grab bars except at the corner of each seat. Covid has affected demand obviously but full opening of Carleton University for in-person classes will substantially increase ridership.

They cheaped out on Phase 2. This was the opportunity to double track the line with the current lengthy closure. All we are doing is pushing back the problem to the future. As it stands, proper double tracking will require another protracted shutdown likely measured again in a timeframe of 2 years or more.

It would have been impossible to completely double-track the line in the time - and budget - that was allowed. It would have required a huge amount of investment as there are numerous structures that are preventing it.

The southern portion of Phase 2 between Leitrim and Limebank is to be double tracked. I believe this is to provide more flexibility for train passing but in some sense, it is weird that the section with the least ridership will be double tracked first, although the portion on the north end of the route between Bayview and Gladstone will also be double tracked.

It's much easier to build a double-track on a greenfield alignment where tracks have never existed. The incremental cost of doing enough work to prepare and build two tracks versus one is pretty minimal.

Dan

Back