I remember the early renders indicated a Zara in the corner retail space, which would be consistent with Lifetime's inclination for higher profile / more commercial tenants. Of course, it could've been a random placeholder but typically it's supposed to entice potential similar businesses.
Zara really? This area especially within Yonge and Eglinton major intersection, there seems to be more food concept retailers attracted in comparison to shopping concepts.

Yeah, though the proximity to the Yonge& Eg Centre could push for larger brand retailers. Was able to find the image.

1633103274366.png

I dont understand the hate for this project. The copper/red coloured cladding and indented pillasters on Yonge looks great to me, and it's not standard glossy spandrel with mismatched greys/blues. Maybe the western portion of the building is lacklustre.

The concrete is painted over in white which looks good.

In my eyes it's miles ahead of garbage projects like 365 Church street with exposed concrete and the cheapest possible cladding.

I dont understand the hate for this project. The copper/red coloured cladding and indented pillasters on Yonge looks great to me, and it's not standard glossy spandrel with mismatched greys/blues. Maybe the western portion of the building is lacklustre.

The concrete is painted over in white which looks good.

In my eyes it's miles ahead of garbage projects like 365 Church street with exposed concrete and the cheapest possible cladding.
One of the issues is that the white section — in a building called Whitehaus — is not white… so under-deliver (and that's not the only issue with what was built here), and the knives come out, pretty simple.

I agree it looks better than 365 Church if you're not planning to raise the bar that much...

Certainly tougher to manage than before the pandemic, but opportunities could be there if they find the right tenant at the right price. Just like how the Art Shoppe Condos has the Oretta restaurant being close to opening. The difference between retail tenancies between that project and Whitehaus is actually pretty stark. As the Art Shoppe is pretty much fully leased out with a variety of retail functions, while this one is struggling to get anyone signed so far.

What doesn't work in their favour here is that it's a 3rd floor restaurant space that they're trying to lease out. There are examples with above grade restaurants can do well whether in Toronto or other cities, but this space looks like a tough one to fill until the ground floor spaces can pick up some momentum first and break the ice on this empty retail shell.
Across the street at Montgomery Square, the StockTC restaurant fills in the third-storey restaurant indoor/outdoor patio space really nicely, and that is a very recent and adjacent precedent.

They should try to replicate that here.

I agree the west side of the building is much less appealing, but at least the spandrel matches the mullions. Looks miles better than light blue or cold grey/mismatched spandrel.

I still stand by saying I love the shape, setbacks and colour of the Yonge street side. It will look better as the trees mature and greenery pops against the rust color.

Across the street at Montgomery Square, the StockTC restaurant fills in the third-storey restaurant indoor/outdoor patio space really nicely, and that is a very recent and adjacent precedent.

They should try to replicate that here.

The upper-level restaurant space at Montgomery Square is mainly enabled as it's a continuation of StockTC as a whole. It would be nice if the Whitehaus can attract a tenant that could fill in with a similar connection point if possible. Otherwise, if it's separate then the upper level restaurant as a standalone may need the ground level units to fill in first in order to develop some more congruent retail momentum for the building.

Looks like the Aloette location here will be functioning mainly for takeout operations, similar to the one that opened in Liberty Village. They expect it to open in Spring 2022 or later.

Back