News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

emphasis added…

if your supposition is correct, wouldn’t the journal and the sun “lean the same way” given their identical ownership? :)
As TAS stated, they used to have different ownership. Regardless of the change there, my general point remains the same - there was a graphic that showed media outlet political support since the 70s across Canada during federal elections and it largely hadn't changed in decades save a few ownership changes here and there.

It is valid to say that the Journal and the Sun lean in different directions and there are reasons for that. It is not valid to say that all news media lean in the same direction because of ownership. News media that are wanting to respect alternate views quite often have opinions across the spectrum. Canada has a bit of catching up to do. The New York Times and the Washington Post are both reasonably good at supporting alternate viewpoints eliminating radical left and radical right all the while.

It is valid to say that the Journal and the Sun lean in different directions and there are reasons for that. It is not valid to say that all news media lean in the same direction because of ownership. News media that are wanting to respect alternate views quite often have opinions across the spectrum. Canada has a bit of catching up to do. The New York Times and the Washington Post are both reasonably good at supporting alternate viewpoints eliminating radical left and radical right all the while.

Canadian media definitely tends to lean with ownership - these charts show it historically. Source. While there may be some additional coverage from each of these outlets, they would definitely lean one way or the other.

It’s a tradition for newspapers to make election endorsements.

In the past, these endorsements were made by an editorial board, which was granted the privilege of speaking on the newspaper’s behalf. This remains the case at some publications, but at other newspaper chains, the endorsement is crafted by higher-ups and forced on all newspapers. Regardless, these editorials serve as a useful tool to get a sense of a publication’s political leaning, and how it may influence coverage.

I’ve compiled the editorial endorsements of 17 newspapers for the past 13 elections: 1980, 1984, 1988, 1993, 1997, 2000, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2011, 2015, 2019, 2021.
federal-election-endorsements.png
federal-elections-endorsements-with-ownership.png

Now you should have said that endorsements align with ownership -- that I completely believe and agree with. There is a subtle difference between that and "opinion" slant. Ownership is the final arbiter when it comes to endorsement. For example on "Opinions" the Edmonton Journal is more left-leaning whereas the Edmonton Sun is more right-leaning -- both having the same ownership.

Over the past few days I've been seeing lots of signs posted for public school candidate Jen Martin, who is up against Trisha Estabrooks in Ward D. A sign of desperation, perhaps?

CTV News has declared Sohi as winner by a substantial margin.

Knack, Hamilton, Cartmell, and Paquette, are declared re-elected.

Salvador, Tang, Stevenson, and Janz are declared new elects.

Esslinger, Dziadyk, and Banga are fighting for their seats. Caterina was voted out in a landslide.

Interesting to see the results come in. In more than a few wards, the margins have been pretty substantial. Edmontonians know what they want this year, and it appears to be a (broadly) progressive council.

Of course Nickel's concession speech has to chide those who didn't vote for him...

Last edited:
Edmonton made me proud today!
Very progressive council, A LOT of new voices there (8, if I'm right).

And Krushell's extremely classy and inspiring concession speech made me hopeful for cooperation between some of the defeat candidates and the victors.

All the best for Sohi and the new councilors. Today, I have a lot of hope for our city.

And I am REALLY happy that Nickel's political career is dead and buried, now, along with Caterina (in 5th place, behind the "nobody" Joshua, who ran an honest and simple campaign).

Back