Between the future fountain and the light poles, this new plaza is sure starting to seem cluttered. I feel like given the pedestrian volumes, a simpler plan with more clearway and some seating (benches/chairs) would've been welcome and would've looked more cohesive with the adjacent building. Right now, it's looking like tripping hazard central based on the photos.
Nothing animates a streetscape more economically efficiently than a restaurant patio. This is a pretty ideal site for one, and it confounds me that pinnacle decided to go with 'random corporate "art"'.

Overall, this development is founded on great ideas, but upon inspecting the details (south elevation, podium arches, courtyard) it falls completely flat.

Aug 24, 2021

9E32873A-87B8-4872-BCF5-4748527C19B6_1_201_a.jpeg

7195109F-2DDA-488C-AF34-5EAE9366CC4A_1_201_a.jpeg

6CFB4BCB-3BD0-47C1-8569-C5EA8B8466B3_1_201_a.jpeg

FD667760-425F-4DF9-A570-09FCDFDC9C1F_1_201_a.jpeg

A00B55F8-6ED2-4953-A6C7-7402A4489F39_1_201_a.jpeg

52670BE6-72F9-4921-BF27-7643D64BFF6E_1_201_a.jpeg

C9423B42-74B7-41EA-8AF5-1AF24B83EB45_1_201_a.jpeg

A10B0E47-C56A-4E15-929E-1D3979CC5D42_1_201_a.jpeg

73FFB43C-F540-4020-816D-AEB36982945D_1_201_a.jpeg

Sorry to post tiktok-like content but here’s a quick look at the penthouse suite! I’m very surprised they have a private terrace, views looks great too. I’d be interested to see what the completed interior will look like.

Wow, i jokingly called this a tripping hazard when i saw the plans but the reality is closer to a major obstacle. I don't know the fascination with over-designing public spaces. Some seating, lighting and maybe trees was all that was needed.

It also astounds me that they followed a similar approach to that of the POPS across the street (right beside Sweet Jesus) with the water feature and random granite blocks... That space is notoriously unusable and a total failed attempt at creating a space for hanging out / lingering, which is exactly what you'd want in front of an ice cream shop.

Agree although cramming in way too many features seems to be how a lot of our parks, parkettes, and public spaces have been designed the last few years. Few of them are relaxing places to be. Many resemble 'jungle gyms for adults'... and a jumbled mess. I'm surprised they didn't shoe horn in some twisted metal 'art' piece, water feature, and a climbing wall.

Agree although cramming in way too many features seems to be how a lot of our parks, parkettes, and public spaces have been designed the last few years. Few of them are relaxing places to be. Many resemble 'jungle gyms for adults'... and a jumbled mess. I'm surprised they didn't shoe horn in some twisted metal 'art' piece, water feature, and a climbing wall.

I think it's a backlash to how many of the older parks have too few features. I can think of several in Etobicoke alone that consist almost entirely of vast swaths of...grass. I always ask myself, "why would anyone be enticed to go there, and to do what?" I'm perfectly fine with the current impetus to add things to parks that people can actually use.

Wow, i jokingly called this a tripping hazard when i saw the plans but the reality is closer to a major obstacle. I don't know the fascination with over-designing public spaces. Some seating, lighting and maybe trees was all that was needed.

It also astounds me that they followed a similar approach to that of the POPS across the street (right beside Sweet Jesus) with the water feature and random granite blocks... That space is notoriously unusable and a total failed attempt at creating a space for hanging out / lingering, which is exactly what you'd want in front of an ice cream shop.
I'm not sure how notorious it is actually. I've worked around the corner for the past few years and the blocks are always being sat on while people eat ice cream. I've gone there for lunches dozens of times myself.

Back