News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

With the increased traffic on Highway 6 and 7 and the school year about start, i can't believe GO transit didn't add any bus routes for the university towns. Kitchener-Waterloo/Guelph/ Hamilton.

With the increased traffic on Highway 6 and 7 and the school year about start, i can't believe GO transit didn't add any bus routes for the university towns. Kitchener-Waterloo/Guelph/ Hamilton.

They could do that, it's just a matter of Mandate from Metrolinx.

Didn't any private companies decide to that route?

They could do that, it's just a matter of Mandate from Metrolinx.

Didn't any private companies decide to that route?

Wellington Township and Waterloo Region could also get together and fund a service similar to Linx in Simcoe County.

That could take 5 years.

If Metrolinx does it, it'll take quite a bit longer than 5 years. A province-wide intercity network (Mike Schreiner has zero ability to obtain funding for a Guelph specific project) is a huge undertaking/distraction at a time when they've already got a half-dozen major projects being tendered which directly impact Doug's re-election.

Metrolinx should set aside fund to “periodically” run potential route. Actual ridership will speak for themselves. It doesn’t hurt to run hourly between Kitchener and Guelph for a month, even a week to test its popularity.

Metrolinx should set aside fund to “periodically” run potential route. Actual ridership will speak for themselves. It doesn’t hurt to run hourly between Kitchener and Guelph for a month, even a week to test its popularity.

Kitchener to Guelph falls well within their current scope of servicing the GTA. Extending the existing 31/33 to cover that portion of the existing train route makes sense.

The GuelphToday article mentions a half-dozen other routes which are in the legislated scope of MTO and not Metrolinx. Putting Metrolinx on them would be a huge undertaking politically.

For all the talk of connecting the GTHA, Metrolinx doesn’t not do well on the “H” part of things. The Niagara train skips Hamilton, or does a time consuming back-up procedure at West Harbour.

It doesn’t connect Hamilton to Guelph. But it did go to Brantford recently. If it can run a bus to Brantford from McMaster, why can’t it run one from University of Guelph to Kitchener?

Took the T:GO Transit service from Woodstock to Ingersoll today. Only 2 passengers on my mid-day trip. The bus seats 20 but has been limited to 10 during the pandemic.

The fare was quite expensive - $10 - considering a cab ride for the same distance is $20. However, it’s not zone based, so you can technically go a lot further for the same price.

6C282C2D-C4DB-4DEF-AB9D-62E0281C2EC7.jpeg

CA5AF0EF-34B2-47C1-A179-69E78C7892BC.jpeg

Oh god i hope so! This country desperately needs bus service. So many cities and towns have been cut off. Greyhound was an affordable way to get to places without a car.

Most communities in Ontario that lost their Greyhound service in 2018 and 2020 are connected again by ONTC, or new private operators. The only real exceptions are the Highway 7 East corridor via Peterborough, Madoc, and Perth (which had daily service) and the Highway 28/62 corridor between Peterborough and Pembroke, which had 3x/week service. I would really like to see a Highway 7 service return to service the towns and cities along that corridor.

Coach Canada (Megabus) abandoned the Highway 8 route completely (Hamilton-Kitchener) and previously abandoned Guelph-Hamilton. Those routes are not being picked up by anyone yet, though GO would be a logical operator.

Back