20210817_201420.jpg

This.... kind of sucks!

They could have had some fun with the brick coursing by adding some texture / relief but instead it's void of any personality. I guess on the bright side, this is hidden at the rear of the building so it's not really visible from Bloor.
Yep, unfortunately the most prominent feature is the large gaps that make it look like precast panels as opposed to real brick.

This.... kind of sucks!

They could have had some fun with the brick coursing by adding some texture / relief but instead it's void of any personality. I guess on the bright side, this is hidden at the rear of the building so it's not really visible from Bloor.

I don't know, I quite liked it - it almost looked like Travertine from certain angles.

AoD

I don’t know... I think there’s some sort of muted simplicity to be found here. It’s monolithic in volume but serene or calming in its materiality and colour. It gives precedence to the architecture of the original building while straying outside the conventional Toronto approach to heritage, which recently has become some form of a glass box attachment (e.g. Broadview Hotel, Robarts, Spadina Crescent, 2 Queen Street, etc).

Back