Long exposure from balcony this evening. Incredibly bright full Hunter's Moon with halo and an inbound Porter flight above the Hearn and the Cherry Street Stormwater Management Facility.

_1240007.jpg

Last edited:
In the days ahead (and maybe weeks) you'll be hearing about something that was discovered in the course of excavating the new river bed...........

WT hasn't made any big public splash, but I'm given to understand that may be coming............hate to steal their thunder.........but since they stuck evidence in the presentation to the last Board Meeting.....

View attachment 355596

From the WaterfronToronto Board Agenda for Oct 7th.

I won't pre-empt any press materials fully...........except to say there is some excitement in the local scientific/biological/botanical communities over this.

I am not directly involved..........just in the loop.

Overall link for the Board Materials for that meeting: https://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe/wcm/connect/waterfront/bfbae214-654b-4d24-b7dc-4e0c325db3f6/Meeting+Book+-+Board+of+Directors+Meeting+-+October+7,+2021.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CONVERT_TO=url&CACHEID=bfbae214-654b-4d24-b7dc-4e0c325db3f6

Since WT are being pokey about talking about all this.............

I will add a couple of tidbits........

Over 1,000 plants were rescued and relocated to a nearby natural area.

Extensive soil samples were removed and are now in the hands of local experts who will be studying them and attempting to propagate any dormant seeds.

When are they going to give us another drone video with a nice flyover of the construction site. It has been a few months since the last video from what I can find. The map showing what portions have been excavated is great but nothing beats a flyover.

When are they going to give us another drone video with a nice flyover of the construction site. It has been a few months since the last video from what I can find. The map showing what portions have been excavated is great but nothing beats a flyover.

The last one from September was posted only 2 weeks ago:

AoD

Not entirely up on all the rules for drones, but does anyone know if they require specific clearances when the WaterfrontTO people make these videos? I'd always heard that they were in the flight path for the island (hence why nobody figures on tall buildings over there). I believe there had been strict rules in Ontario for drones, but that a lot of that was subverted by smaller, lightweight devices. I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen more of the urban explorer folk post up their own fly throughs, especially with the new bridges just sitting around.

...they've made so much progress, but they still have a long, long ways to go.

Presumably they use a licensed pilot who will get the necessary clearance.

Almost definitely. The western-edge of The Port Lands is in a restricted area (coloured in red). Even micro-drones can't get the necessary clearance easily.

1635545226410.png

The Shipping season is coming to a close and are we still to see the South Cherry St Road bridge delivery this year or has it been push down the road??

With the plan to push the LRT line to Polson Loop that requires an LRT bridge not budget to be built first and install before the road as it would be the cheapest option than trying to install the road bridge first. Items need to be fabricated in Europe first and ship to Halifax

If pushed down the road, it could delay opening the new Cherry St late next year.

If both bridges are shipped at the same time, it will speed up the insulation of them and doing the back filling for both bridges.

Back