News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Cadillac Fairview Tower under construction (completed 1981)
View attachment 358309

Passing by the Eaton Centre a few days ago, I thought to myself that the northern office tower was built roughly at the same time as the mall, but the second tower further south close to Shuter was added much later - was it around 1990 or so?

Passing by the Eaton Centre a few days ago, I thought to myself that the northern office tower was built roughly at the same time as the mall, but the second tower further south close to Shuter was added much later - was it around 1990 or so?
N tower indeed was built w/the original phase in 1977. S tower 1981 (a couple of years after the EC second phase opened); midblock tower 1992...

This appears to be the beginning of Berczy Park around 1980.
View attachment 358327

Much as I like Berczy Park, I prefer this view from 1919:

f1231_it2090.jpg

Yonge St. 1952 Ontario Archives
Imperial Theatre now CAA Ed Mirvish Theatre & Downtown Theatre demolished for Dundas Square
View attachment 361137

Minor addendum here.

While the building once housing the Downtown Cinema was demolished for Dundas Square, the cinema itself was long gone by then. It closed in 1972.

That was the site of downtown Lick's (among other things) when I was a kid.

The article is very sloppy with its facts:

Back when the area at Jarvis and Front formed the commercial core of the old Town of York, there were few buildings made of brick. Campbell House, the Grange and the Bank of Upper Canada just around the corner on Adelaide were made of brick. Campbell House and the Grange would later be moved to their current locations to be preserved and make room for the old town’s growth.

The Bank of Upper Canada was made of stone (the brick-clad La Salle College addition came later). The Grange was not part of the original Town of York and has always been in its current location. Campbell House was not moved to allow for growth. It was moved in the 70’s for various reasons; redevelopment of its original site was not one of them.

Back