Sidewalk is poured.............and indeed, that itself is a disappointment here...... I'm surprised to see concrete being used within the Bloor-Yorkville BIA on new sidewalks.
Agreed, that is a disappointment. I would kill for red brick sidewalks, particularly along blocks of heritage buildings. Makes a difference, especially since Toronto is so cold and grey for half of the year. And then even when we do get brick or stone, it's usually grey.

Sidewalk is poured.............and indeed, that itself is a disappointment here...... I'm surprised to see concrete being used within the Bloor-Yorkville BIA on new sidewalks.

Photo taken Oct 27th, 2021:

View attachment 358838

They've gone w/plain, brushed concrete, with a single rose of granite pavers next to the curb.

If there's any accommodation of trees, I can't see it in the shot and didn't have a chance to get closer today.

I would have expected either all granite, as is the case in all new developments fronting Bay St, and Avenue Road; or Interlocking Brick as can be seen on Yorkville Avenue itself.
probably 2-3 out of the 9 stores to open will be cannabis stores... Thanks Trudeau 🤦‍♂️

October 31, 2021:

IMG_2396.jpg
IMG_2398.jpg
IMG_2400.jpg
IMG_2401.jpg
IMG_2402.jpg
IMG_2403.jpg
IMG_2404.jpg
IMG_2405.jpg
IMG_2406.jpg
IMG_2407.jpg

Lights look good in the evening:

View attachment 360303

They put trees in those tiny little pits, with a non-reinforced sidewalk........ :(

Those aren't particularly likely to do well. Hopefully they're tough individuals and do ok...

But that's asking a lot.

Just a couple, looking one of the heritage facades, then the streetscape, with notes.

First, the building at the corner of Yonge/Yorkville has had the box for backlit signage installed. That's a 'No' as far as I'm concerned as that will take away from heritage look of the building.

1636490986989.png

Streetscape, I got a closer look.

1636491252771.png

Oak Trees............interesting.

I love oaks, and I think the City does not plant them enough...............not sure I would have put them here though.......not ideal planting conditions.......

Also...ummm.......you're not supposed to plant Oaks in the fall, ideally. Nut-bearing species don't appreciate being moved when they're busy exerting energy. Might be late enough for that not to be an issue here ....
but really, spring for Oaks, just sayin.

First, the building at the corner of Yonge/Yorkville has had the box for backlit signage installed. That's a 'No' as far as I'm concerned as that will take away from heritage look of the building.
I think it really depends. If it ends up being translucent letters on a solid dark background, it's not going to stand out that much or take much away. At their combined size, these lightboxes are certainly more understated than both the Cookbook Store's ginormous red awning, or the backlit Ingles Hearing Aid store sign before that (https://en.phorio.com/cj_frogley_bakery,_toronto,_canada). Hell, even Frogley's had bigger signage (http://cookbookstoreblog.blogspot.com/2014/02/history-of-our-building-at-850-yonge-st.html).

Just a couple, looking one of the heritage facades, then the streetscape, with notes.

Oak Trees............interesting.

I love oaks, and I think the City does not plant them enough...............not sure I would have put them here though.......not ideal planting conditions.......

Also...ummm.......you're not supposed to plant Oaks in the fall, ideally. Nut-bearing species don't appreciate being moved when they're busy exerting energy. Might be late enough for that not to be an issue here ....
but really, spring for Oaks, just sayin.
Interesting choice, I always thought oak trees didn't like urban pollution. Is it the relatively small cells they're confined to that's the bigger issue? Hopefully they do well as I agree that the city doesn't plant them enough.

Interesting choice, I always thought oak trees didn't like urban pollution.

Oaks are medium tolerant, but moreso than the City allows for.

Off-the-top of my head; I'd probably rate White Birch as the least urban tolerant native, though there are probably others worthy of mention.
When it comes to salt, Sugar Maples don't get along well with it at all.

At the other extreme are Silver Maples, Honey Locusts, Basswoods and White Spruce as being among the most urban-tolerant species.

Is it the relatively small cells they're confined to that's the bigger issue? Hopefully they do well as I agree that the city doesn't plant them enough.

Soil volume is a big issue, yes. Oaks may grow in less conditions, but their size, and longevity will be immeasurably improved by higher soil volumes, and other condition improvements (open soil/irrigation/companion plantings, and adequate sun).
Oaks are a full-sun species; notwithstanding Yonge being a N-S road, the shadows of the buildings to the south make this less sunny than would be best for oaks as well.

These planter boxes, on the south side of Charles St. Green P were originally oaks..........
None survived, despite decent sunlight levels.

1636580720973.png

By contrast, look at this beauty in all her fall glory over on St. George St., just north of Hoskin:

1636580817529.png

Notice the much larger soil volume, a planter shared with a compatible tree, a high ledge that all but eliminates salt penetration from the sidewalk, relatively little root compaction, the bike lane is also a salt buffer (much less spray than cars would generate next to the curb)

Also, lots of sun!

Back