All CMHC funding-announcements were "on pause" due to the Federal-Elections in August and September... in case there was a change of government.

Expecting a lot of delayed "Affordable-Housing" announcements & ground-breakings soon in October & November.

Last edited:
This one is still getting 'I 's dotted and T's crossed'.........but it looks like an announcement is coming soon.

From this report, to the Nov 22nd meeting of CreateTo: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ra/bgrd/backgroundfile-173012.pdf

1636988582851.png

According to Milestones Chart below, going to the same meeting, construction is set to begin Q1 2022:

1636989195540.png

Last edited:

City of Toronto and CreateTO announce development partners for a third Housing Now site

News Release
November 22, 2021

The City of Toronto and CreateTO have announced the development partners for a third Housing Now site, which will continue to advance the creation of new affordable and market rental housing for Toronto residents.

The development of the Phase One Housing Now site at 777 Victoria Park Ave. has been awarded to Alterra Group of Companies and Mahogany Management. Last month, the City and CreateTO announced development partners for the Housing Now Phase One sites at 50 Wilson Heights Blvd. and 705 Warden Ave.

Across these three sites, the development partners will build almost 2,600 new homes, including more than 2,100 rental homes, of which more than 1,000 will be affordable rental homes.

The two-acre site at 777 Victoria Park Ave., located just north of Danforth Avenue, will deliver a minimum of 508 residential homes, including 254 affordable rental homes and 254 market rental homes. The development will also deliver a new child care centre, retail and community space, and new publicly accessible open space and improvements to the public realm. The site will also include a minimum of 20 per cent accessible affordable rental homes and 15 per cent accessible market rental homes.

The site at 777 Victoria Park Ave. is one of 21 City-owned sites included in the Housing Now initiative. Earlier this month, City Council expanded the program, adding Phase Three, which includes four new sites to the 17 previous sites included in Phases One and Two. The Phase Three sites are estimated to provide between 1,150 and 1,400 new homes, including between 450 and 600 affordable rental homes.

It is estimated that the 21 sites within the Housing Now initiative will deliver more than 14,600 new residential homes across the city, including more than 10,000 rental homes, of which approximately 5,500 will be affordable rental homes.

The affordable homes created through Housing Now will create a range of transit-oriented housing options for a range of incomes and needs, as well as deliver other important city-building objectives such as child-care, community space and parks. The homes will be affordable to Toronto residents working in professions such as early childhood educators, construction labourers, or registered practical nurses. Many of these residents have been recognized as essential workers delivering critical services throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.

The development partners were selected through a competitive market offering process launched by CBRE Limited on behalf of the City and CreateTO, in the fall of 2019.

The developments will be funded by the selected for-profit and not-for-profit developer proponents. The City is supporting the delivery of affordable housing on Housing Now sites by leveraging an estimated $925 million in land value, and by offering financial incentives through the Open Door program, including waiving development charges, planning and building fees, and parkland dedication fees, and providing relief from property taxes, for the affordable component of each project. To date, these incentives are valued at more than $433 million across the Housing Now portfolio. In total, the City is contributing more than $1.3 billion to the delivery of affordable homes through this initiative, including land and City incentives. Housing Now projects are also conditional on financing through the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation’s Rental Construction Financing Initiative.

Construction at 777 Victoria Park Ave. is slated to begin in Q2 2022.

More information about Housing Now is available here

Victoria Park

The development of the Phase One Housing Now site at 777 Victoria Park Ave. has been awarded to Alterra Group of Companies and Mahogany Management.

The two-acre site at 777 Victoria Park Ave., located just north of Danforth Avenue, will deliver a minimum of 508 residential homes, including 254 affordable rental homes and 254 market rental homes.

The development will also deliver a new child care centre, retail and community space, and new publicly accessible open space and improvements to the public realm. The site will also include a minimum of 20% accessible affordable rental homes and 15% accessible market rental homes.

“Today is National Housing Day and I’m proud that we’re able to announce the development partners for yet another Housing Now site. With Council’s decision earlier this month, we now have 21 sites across the city included within this program. Housing Now is helping to create thousands of transit-oriented, new affordable rental homes and I’m pleased this new mixed-income, mixed-use development at 777 Victoria Park Ave. will deliver more than 250 new affordable rental homes in Scarborough.”
– Mayor John Tory

“Having a place to live is fundamental to an individual’s health and well-being and people across Toronto are in desperate need of housing options. Our goal is to meet the demand through a variety of initiatives and so I’m very pleased that a development team has been selected for 777 Victoria Park Ave. One hundred per cent of the homes on this site will be rental homes, with approximately 50 per cent being affordable rental homes – a number that gets us one step closer to meeting our housing goals.”
– Deputy Mayor Ana Bailão (Davenport)

Source: City of Toronto and CreateTO announce development partners for a third Housing Now site

Occupancy starts in 2025. We are not yet taking applications. Please check back as more information becomes available.

Victoria Park

The development of the Phase One Housing Now site at 777 Victoria Park Ave. has been awarded to Alterra Group of Companies and Mahogany Management.

The two-acre site at 777 Victoria Park Ave., located just north of Danforth Avenue, will deliver a minimum of 508 residential homes, including 254 affordable rental homes and 254 market rental homes.

The development will also deliver a new child care centre, retail and community space, and new publicly accessible open space and improvements to the public realm. The site will also include a minimum of 20% accessible affordable rental homes and 15% accessible market rental homes.

“Today is National Housing Day and I’m proud that we’re able to announce the development partners for yet another Housing Now site. With Council’s decision earlier this month, we now have 21 sites across the city included within this program. Housing Now is helping to create thousands of transit-oriented, new affordable rental homes and I’m pleased this new mixed-income, mixed-use development at 777 Victoria Park Ave. will deliver more than 250 new affordable rental homes in Scarborough.”
– Mayor John Tory

“Having a place to live is fundamental to an individual’s health and well-being and people across Toronto are in desperate need of housing options. Our goal is to meet the demand through a variety of initiatives and so I’m very pleased that a development team has been selected for 777 Victoria Park Ave. One hundred per cent of the homes on this site will be rental homes, with approximately 50 per cent being affordable rental homes – a number that gets us one step closer to meeting our housing goals.”
– Deputy Mayor Ana Bailão (Davenport)

Source: City of Toronto and CreateTO announce development partners for a third Housing Now site

Occupancy starts in 2025. We are not yet taking applications. Please check back as more information becomes available.
Yeah, it took Mahogany like a decade to get their building done near Casa Loma...

Yeah, it took Mahogany like a decade to get their building done near Casa Loma...

I agree with the overall notion that affordable housing needs to get built quicker all around. But in fairness to Mahogany, I believe their involvement for Madison View began around 2016.

Just going through the UT thread for it and this old article, it was previously with St. Clare's Housing Society and appears to have changed hands in 2015 or 16-ish.

With work and substantial movement starting around 2017 or 18 based on what's viewable on Google and coverage in the UT thread.

Still on the slow side for a 6 storey building, but kind of on par with construction speeds in this city.

At least with their current Birchmount Green project, they look to be moving along alright for the most part it seems.

Last edited:
Some real timeline slippage here w/construction now targeted for Q3 of this year. The original schedule had this one starting construction in Q42020. Of course they didn't come to terms with a proponent until late fall of '21, basically 1 year
after the originally scheduled start-of-work.

Report Link here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/ra/bgrd/backgroundfile-222173.pdf

From the report (top item)

1646070255463-png.382436

Some real timeline slippage here w/construction now targeted for Q3 of this year. The original schedule had this one starting construction in Q42020. Of course they didn't come to terms with a proponent until late fall of '21, basically 1 year
after the originally scheduled start-of-work.

Report Link here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/ra/bgrd/backgroundfile-222173.pdf

"CMHC Financing Submissions under review" is the problem from the looks of it... making each project go to CMHC one-at-a-time is insane.

The Feds need to give the City of Toronto BLOCK funding for their HOUSING NOW program... like they would with any other "urban infrastructure" program (eg. Subways)

"CMHC Financing Submissions under review" is the problem from the looks of it... making each project go to CMHC one-at-a-time is insane.

The Feds need to give the City of Toronto BLOCK funding for their HOUSING NOW program... like they would with any other "urban infrastructure" program (eg. Subways)

I think they did do that for TCHC for refinancing a large number of mortgages, but I could stand to be corrected.

I wonder if the problem here is that the City is not the nominal proponent.

Some movement here.

Site Plan for the reconfigured golf course parking lot has been filed.

This is a prerequisite for development as the TTC's PPUDO is relocating to same.

In the cover letter for the above, they indicated they intend to file the SPA for the buildings this spring.

Between this development and the PPUDO relocation, I hope some provision is made for the Scarborough Rail Trail which had been proposed to run along the south side of the tracks and connect to Dentonia Park. Mayor Chow seemed to have endorsed the idea on twitter, but I'm not certain she's aware this is the choke point

Between this development and the PPUDO relocation, I hope some provision is made for the Scarborough Rail Trail which had been proposed to run along the south side of the tracks and connect to Dentonia Park. Mayor Chow seemed to have endorsed the idea on twitter, but I'm not certain she's aware this is the choke point

You should highlight this to her office, and also cc Councillor Bradford, whatever his many other faults, he is an avid cyclist, and this is immediately adjacent to his ward.

Back