^ Full deck from tonight's meeting here:

Some new renderings including a from from the DVP of the bridge over the Don Valley.

Hmm, the MSF can only hold 44 (+10 in future) trains - and are we talking about the initial length trains, or the final length trains? Sounds like they might need another yard (or expand this one) with extensions of the line.

AoD

my guess is it's full length trains and is designed to handle increased ridership on the initial segment, and yes, any extension will require either additional storage elsewhere or further expansion of the yard.

I could see an eventual extension northwards throwing some storage tracks in the Finch Hydro corridor or something if it reaches that far north. The further out you go, the more space you have to play with for storage with less impacts. I don't blame them for not overbuilding the initial yard as it's in a tight location with strong local opposition.

I would really have liked to see the bridge across the Don Valley/Minton Place be more ambitious than a simple elevated concrete guideway.
They should include a pedestrian and cycling bridge, as part of the Ontario Line bridge. The current setup with the Leaside Bridge (Millwood Road) is too narrow. and not very safe.

1637772289358.png
From link.

In terms of a western extension of the OL, I wonder if continuing in the LSW corridor and terminating at Humber Bay South would be an option. Add stations at Sunnyside & HBS.

That may be a good way for Metrolinx to avoid having to build the HBS Station on the LSW route, since they clearly don't want to.

In terms of a western extension of the OL, I wonder if continuing in the LSW corridor and terminating at Humber Bay South would be an option. Add stations at Sunnyside & HBS.

That may be a good way for Metrolinx to avoid having to build the HBS Station on the LSW route, since they clearly don't want to.
HBS is getting a station through the Christie's site redevelopment. No need to duplicate service in that area.

Just take out a traffic lane
They create bridges for light rail, pedestrians, and cyclists in other parts of the world. But then, the suburban politicians here in Toronto will not support it.
Karen-riding-across-the-Tilikum-Crossing-Portland.jpg
From link.

throngs1-540x358.jpg
over-the-edge-540x358.jpg

From link. Dated August 9th, 2015.
With walkers and in strollers, on hopalongs and (in the case of quite a few happily panting dogs) on leashes, Portlanders packed a series of previews Sunday of Tilikum Crossing, the first bridge in the United States to carry buses, bikes, trains, streetcars and people walking but no private cars.

HBS is getting a station through the Christie's site redevelopment. No need to duplicate service in that area.
They likely are, but it's very clear that wasn't Metrolinx's preference. If the station could be switched from a LSW station to an OL station, I don't think you'd see too many objections over there.

^ Full deck from tonight's meeting here:

Some new renderings including a from from the DVP of the bridge over the Don Valley.
Actual link: https://www.metrolinxengage.com/sites/default/files/ol_nov_voh_2021.pdf

They likely are, but it's very clear that wasn't Metrolinx's preference. If the station could be switched from a LSW station to an OL station, I don't think you'd see too many objections over there.
Except Metrolinx does not like spending more than they need to (hence all the cost cutting on the OL, like the shorter platforms and moving lots of the line above ground), and it would cost more to extend the OL that far (with multiple stations, a new crossing of the Humber River; plus possible realignment of the GO tracks, depending on space within the rail corridor) than it would be to build one GO station. Plus an OL extension will take far longer than the GO Station will take to build, so you'd be leaving HBS without rapid transit for a much longer period of time. Metrolinx may not have loved the HBS GO station, but there's nothing to indicate they'd rather spend way more on an OL extension instead.

Early on, seamless cross-platform transfers were one of the biggest selling points of this line, and why it made sense for it to share the GO corridor above ground.

If what we're seeing now was initially proposed then I think our reactions would've been different.

Perhaps it was the plan all along? A lot harder to justify this to locals based on the current configuration.

Cross platform transfers are good, but clearly not having them doesn't really fundamentally change the positives of less cost, still much better transfers, and simpler construction? The only people who seem to seriously oppose going above ground are the Nimbys

Except Metrolinx does not like spending more than they need to (hence all the cost cutting on the OL, like the shorter platforms and moving lots of the line above ground), and it would cost more to extend the OL that far (with multiple stations, a new crossing of the Humber River; plus possible realignment of the GO tracks, depending on space within the rail corridor) than it would be to build one GO station. Plus an OL extension will take far longer than the GO Station will take to build, so you'd be leaving HBS without rapid transit for a much longer period of time. Metrolinx may not have loved the HBS GO station, but there's nothing to indicate they'd rather spend way more on an OL extension instead.

Metrolinx who built a Leed Gold parking garage for 80 million in the middle of nowhere doesn't like spending more money than they need? What about the unnecessary tunneled link at Finch West?

Back