The provincial numbers are minimums. It’s totally the city’s choice to plan for that amount of growth, and not more.

I spoke directly with City staff on the matter, who said different.

Perhaps you should engage them in discussion.

I'm not taking sides, I am accurately representing what I was told.

Last edited:
I understand that this is just where the proposal varies from the existing guidelines. I have to ask how on earth this building can represent over development of this site given both its location and what's in close proximity to it.

Should the guidelines for the core be changed then?

I can't understand it, you got the L Tower and Pinnacle within a stones throw away. It's on Yonge and I don't understand why the city is so resistant against height when we have such a housing/condo shortage. Makes no sense to me.

Event Information: 53-55 Yonge Street - Community Consultation Meeting

Date and time:Monday, June 28, 2021 6:30 pm
Eastern Daylight Time (Toronto, GMT-04:00)
Change time zone
Duration:1 hour 30 minutes
Description:
The City has received an application to amend the Zoning By-law to permit a 66-storey mixed-use building (236 metres including mechanical penthouse and facade crown) containing 482 residential dwelling units, 16,491 square metres of office, 1,315 square metres of retail, and two levels of underground parking.

Please visit the Site's Application Information Centre website at Toronto.ca/55YongeSt for more information.

Apparently this happened...

Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 1.04.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 1.04.38 AM.png

If only the DRP posted its minutes on their website. Nowadays they usually don't :confused:

The Panel was very impressed with the design of the building, describing it as "seductive," "enticing," "beautiful," and "ambitious."

Can't disagree. I wonder if that's how they described the Waterfront Innovation Centre. :p

UT article summarizing the DRP's commentary on this design:

The Panel was very impressed with the design of the building, describing it as "seductive," "enticing," "beautiful," and "ambitious."

Can't disagree. I wonder if that's how they described the Waterfront Innovation Centre. :p
I like your comment, and yeah the Waterfront Innovation Centre isn't good enough (especially after having a design competition for it), but it was under the purview of the Waterfront Design Review Panel, whereas this one is under the purview of the city's own DRP.

Back