Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
1650 DUPONT ST
Ward 9: Davenport

Development Applications

Project description:
Site Plan Approval for a 6-storey mixed-use building having a non-residential gross floor area of 176.80 square metres, and a residential gross floor area of 2544.70 square metres. A total of 30 residential dwelling units are proposed.

Currently on site:

1629283656146.png

It's interesting that something is happening with the SCPT building. I'm curious if they've sold or will be involved in the redevelopment. From my understanding they've been active since the early 80's, and also operate the children/youth soccer school behind the Dufferin Mall. Otherwise, the scale of the proposal sounds fine. The Junction Triangle area has been improving steadily in the recent decade in terms of retail offerings. It's good to see interest in some gentle intensification along Dupont.

I'd rather see the Dupont Auto Services lot get redeveloped first, but I can't imagine trying to build something there when there's a biennial dig-up of the Osler/Dupont intersection to fix the sinkhole. :)

I'd rather see the Dupont Auto Services lot get redeveloped first, but I can't imagine trying to build something there when there's a biennial dig-up of the Osler/Dupont intersection to fix the sinkhole. :)

I also yearn to see that ugly body shop go...

Or at least be converted into the latest craft brewery!

I welcome increased population density along Dupont here, especially if they maintain some degree of fine-grain topology like this, though I agree it's not perfect and it feels a bit oppressive to me. Could end up looking sharp though. I live in the area and it's great and the street has a fantastic mainstreet cadence, but can also be very sleepy at times and is mostly empty storefronts (along with a few absolutely fantastic places) and I think lack of density and foot traffic in the area likely hurts the ability of businesses to be viable.

Last edited:
I welcome increased population density along Dupont here, especially if they maintain some degree of fine-grain topology like this, though I agree it's not perfect and it feels a bit oppressive to me. Could end up looking sharp though. I live in the area and it's great and the street has a fantastic mainstreet cadence, but can also be very sleepy at times and is mostly empty storefronts (along with a few absolutely fantastic places) and I think lack of density and foot traffic in the area likely hurts the ability of businesses to be viable.

I agree that the overall built form along this stretch of Dupont is quite congruent and can nurture a steadier retail scene. There's decent opportunity to add more density on the head and tail ends of the strip. Once 299 Campbell is completed there will be an influx of more local residents, along with the taller condo project that's proposed on Campbell just north of Boo Radley's. Would be nice to eventually see the empty piece of land on the SW corner of Dupont & Symington be developed at some point in the near future though.

Last edited:
Would be nice to eventually see the empty piece of land on the SW corner of Dupont & Symington be developed at some point in the near future though.

Weirdly this piece of land is fenced off again. It was previously before and then the fences were removed, and now they're back. I don't think it's actually indicative of anything yet — my guess is it's being done to try to control what people are doing on the site, but it's annoying to have it fenced off. It was much nicer to cut that corner instead of being forced onto the narrow sidewalks and it was a bit of a nice overgrown wildflowers and concrete kinda space. Also gives less access space to the city bike parking there to maneuver them as well. And I don't mind that people set up to sell things there sometimes or hang out. It's a city, big deal. Never seemed dangerous either. I get the owners might want to control access for liability reasons etc. and there was some issues with people dumping garbage, but it is definitely a worse experience now on the street with the fences up. I hope it gets developed one day!

Weirdly this piece of land is fenced off again. It was previously before and then the fences were removed, and now they're back. I don't think it's actually indicative of anything yet — my guess is it's being done to try to control what people are doing on the site, but it's annoying to have it fenced off. It was much nicer to cut that corner instead of being forced onto the narrow sidewalks and it was a bit of a nice overgrown wildflowers and concrete kinda space. Also gives less access space to the city bike parking there to maneuver them as well. And I don't mind that people set up to sell things there sometimes or hang out. It's a city, big deal. Never seemed dangerous either. I get the owners might want to control access for liability reasons etc. and there was some issues with people dumping garbage, but it is definitely a worse experience now on the street with the fences up. I hope it gets developed one day!

A few weeks back I spotted a few pick-up trucks and vans onsite with what looked like contractors doing contracty stuff.

Featured in today's UT article:

neat-ish design. i have a problem that this is supposed to be 4 storeys 'as of right' but they are doing a minor ammendment to 6 which is way more than a minor ammendment should before. Hopefully planning comes to their senses and asks for a rezoning application or grants 'as of right' at 4 storey only not 6. Sneaky move and should be rejected. I say this only because at 6 storeys theres alot of impingements on the neighbours and neighbourhood etc and they should be consulted about the impacts and take it from there. And this is not from a nimby!

Back