News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

VIA isn't really useful in 6 provinces. I think provincial-supported routes are optimal, but I don't want to debate this (I've watched the SSP debates).
I think it would be helpful to have provincial support, but Canada's population and major population centres are so spread out that some potential routes will need to be interprovincial. For example, expanded service in the Maritimes would likely cross a provincial boundary. Any potential service improvements out of Winnipeg will likely cross a provincial boundary. There will need to be federal support in these cases and getting multiple provinces supporting such projects will be difficult and the provinces will likely not take the initiative.

Hell, I have my doubts we would have meaningful corridor service in a provincially led model. Quebec and Ontario are far to prone to trying to portray it as entirely beneficial to one or the other for funding to be actually stable.

Hell, I have my doubts we would have meaningful corridor service in a provincially led model. Quebec and Ontario are far to prone to trying to portray it as entirely beneficial to one or the other for funding to be actually stable.
Here in Ottawa, the interprovincial rivalries have made it impossible to build a new interprovincial bridge. So, yes. Trying to get the Ontario and Quebec governments working together on HFR would make it much less likely to ever get built. Just the thought of which province that is perceived to benefit the most, would kill the idea. Just look at the need to build to Quebec City in Phase 1 with federal involvement. At the provincial level, we would have stalemate.

I think it would be helpful to have provincial support, but Canada's population and major population centres are so spread out that some potential routes will need to be interprovincial. For example, expanded service in the Maritimes would likely cross a provincial boundary. Any potential service improvements out of Winnipeg will likely cross a provincial boundary. There will need to be federal support in these cases and getting multiple provinces supporting such projects will be difficult and the provinces will likely not take the initiative.
Correct, but many State-subsidized Amtrak services provide a useful service (i.e. multiple departures per day) across State (or even international) borders: Downeaster, Chicago-Detroit/Pontiac, Chicago-St.Louis or Cascades - to just name a few...

Here in Ottawa, the interprovincial rivalries have made it impossible to build a new interprovincial bridge. So, yes. Trying to get the Ontario and Quebec governments working together on HFR would make it much less likely to ever get built. Just the thought of which province that is perceived to benefit the most, would kill the idea. Just look at the need to build to Quebec City in Phase 1 with federal involvement. At the provincial level, we would have stalemate.
First, except for TRTO-MTRL and (QBEC-)MTRL-OTTW, all VIA Corridor services stay on one side of the QC-ON border: QBEC-MTRL in the case of QC, TRTO-OTTW/KGON/NIAG/LNDN/SARN/WDON in the case of ON.
Second, with Corridor services recovering 130% of their variable operating costs (except during the odd global pandemic), there is hardly a financial burden to share...

Are there two locos at the far end of the train?
Will they start testing between Montreal and Ottawa?
Given that one of the goals of the test runs is to have TC certify the trainset for operation in Canada, I would assume that the train can only operate self-propelled on tracks for which it has received a waiver from TC and the respective host railroads. I guess that's why a legacy locomotive (looks like a P42 from the little which can be seen) needs to be added everytime it transits over the Kingston Sub and why the tests will only take place (for now) West of Coteau...

Last edited:
Does anyone know how VIA trains are heading east due to the closure of the rouge bridge? Are they going up the Bala sub to the York sub to Pickering?

I don't see any other way they could make that work.

It's a cab car.
It’s apparently the same consist as I’ve described below, starting with loco #2200, but with a third loco at the end (I.e. after #2201):
In reference to the consist posted elsewhere and the configurations we already know (esp. NEGC 2021, slide 11), I would assume the following:
  • 2200 (Locomotive of 1st trainset)
  • 2600 (Business 3A)
  • 2700 (Business 3B)
  • 2900 (Economy 1B)
  • 2800 (Economy 1A)
  • 2300 (Economy 4A - cab car)
  • 2201 (Locomotive of 2nd trainset)
Does anyone know how VIA trains are heading east due to the closure of the rouge bridge? Are they going up the Bala sub to the York sub to Pickering?
I don't see any other way they could make that work.
They did indeed take the Bala and York Subs:

Wonder if they needed CN pilots. I should have bought a ticket just to experience that.
You could still buy a ticket for tomorrow, but there are only two possibilities: either VIA got enough LEs qualified for the York and Bala Sub (Bala Sub is usually only worked by Capreol crews) - or they relied on CN pilots. In any case, crewing issues appear to me as the most likely reason to me why they jayed trains (like 64/42) between Toronto and Oshawa...

You could still buy a ticket for tomorrow, but there are only two possibilities: either VIA got enough LEs qualified for the York and Bala Sub (Bala Sub is usually only worked by Capreol crews) - or they relied on CN pilots. In any case, crewing issues appear to me as the most likely reason to me why they jayed trains (like 64/42) between Toronto and Oshawa...
They are using VIA pilots for the Bala Sub portion. The crews that operate the Corridor trains form a different pool from those that operate the Canadian, and so aren't trained for the tracks up the Don Valley.

They are using CN pilots for the running on the York Sub.

Dan

They are using VIA pilots for the Bala Sub portion. The crews that operate the Corridor trains form a different pool from those that operate the Canadian, and so aren't trained for the tracks up the Don Valley.

They are using CN pilots for the running on the York Sub.

Dan
So then the extra crews get off at Oshawa and head back to Union on westbound trains?

Back