You should see what Concord built in the UK... Obviously cost is a factor, but nothing they've done in Canada comes remotely close to this:

principal-tower-foster-and-partners-architecture-residential-skyscraper-london-uk_dezeen_2364_col_5-852x1500.jpg

principal-tower-foster-and-partners-architecture-residential-skyscraper-london-uk_dezeen_2364_col_1-852x1278.jpg

/Tinfoil theory #1: They're using Toronto that they don't like very much to bring home the bacon to fund their better projects around the world.

/Tinfoil theory #2: There is clearly different departments in Concord's corporate scheme of things. And we got the one that does silly walks. >.<

You should see what Concord built in the UK... Obviously cost is a factor, but nothing they've done in Canada comes remotely close to this:

principal-tower-foster-and-partners-architecture-residential-skyscraper-london-uk_dezeen_2364_col_5-852x1500.jpg

principal-tower-foster-and-partners-architecture-residential-skyscraper-london-uk_dezeen_2364_col_1-852x1278.jpg

Different standards for different markets. It all depeds on what a particular market will tolerate, if the buyers expect and demand higher quality they will get it, if they don't demand it, they don't get it.

Guess which group most Toronto buyers fall into.

I'm afraid the real answer is actually a pretty depressing one -- a little while ago, I asked a former colleague, who is himself a former Concorder, why their projects outside of Toronto are generally of a higher aesthetic quality. His answer? "Because we can get away with it in Toronto and can't in other places."

Last edited:
I'm afraid the real answer is actually a pretty depressing one -- a little while ago, I asked a former colleague, who is himself a former Concorder, why their projects outside of Toronto were generally of a higher aesthetic quality. His answer? "Because we can get away with it in Toronto and can't in other places."
What a cynical response from the "former Concorder". However, It's quite believable because of the dreck we see . And what does it say about this city's acceptance level. If the design and built performance levels are so mediocre in Toronto, what can be done to change that ? There appears to be an exceptional wealth of projects at various stages in the pipeline, so what is really stopping Toronto from moving to higher standards - it certainly isn't for want of investment.

What a cynical response from the "former Concorder". However, It's quite believable because of the dreck we see . And what does it say about this city's acceptance level. If the design and built performance levels are so mediocre in Toronto, what can be done to change that ? There appears to be an exceptional wealth of projects at various stages in the pipeline, so what is really stopping Toronto from moving to higher standards - it certainly isn't for want of investment.
Well London and New York assume they are the top cities in the world, and therefore are entitled to the best architecture and/or largest investments including excellent and/or astonishing exterior design. (Doesn't always work there either.) Toronto still tends to think were so lucky to get a big new tower. Wow. Don't really stand in the way etc. I do think some aspects of design, including ground level preservation and base height alignment/consistency are things we are doing better, Just the overall impact of our biggest and tallest buildings is basically yech. (Mirvish-Gehry may at least be "astonishing" and hopefully draw a pleasing eye for a few centuries as well.). The rest = a forest of towers some with pointy angular tops or spingly add-on antenna towers not sculpted with the main tower design - another yech!).

While Principal Tower is gorgeous and I wish we could do that kind of building, the reality is that units there rent for the equivalent of $7k-$10k per month. If Torontonians are fine with rates like that, the architectural excellence displayed there becomes possible.
Does it really have to be that way to "guarantee" this project won't be value engineered down?

...I mean I would be happy for a modest design with materials I don't have to hold my nose at every time I walk by. It doesn't have to be gold plated to achieve that.

Concord pacific’s owners are sitting in Vancouver and China. Why would they will give a damn how torontonians feel about the look of their new developments and towers except how much profit they will make end of the day, simple as this.

Last edited:
No way... I remember seeing this is Shoreditch and wishing developers would step up their game in Canada. Little did i know...

The kicker is that it's a complete role reversal. Historically, it was Brits envious of Canadian skyscrapers. Canada had lots of them and show stoppers like TD Centre. All Brts had was National Westminster Tower, now called Tower 42.

Back