Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
A strange App into the AIC for the above property.

Strange, because it's an SPA only..............and 2340 is the only property listed, as is barely a sliver.

Does the zoning here allow 10s as-of-right? I assume there are other properties involved but not yet listed.

1637322465178.png

Link: http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do?folderRsn=900aHNdObOwyx6ggZfteQQ==

Streetview:

Nominally, it's only this property:

1637322565594.png

As noted above, I take for granted, if the address is correct, that this is part of a larger assembly.

That's the plan to intensify all major arterial roads with lowrises to skyscrapers etc !

* Docs are Up*

Raw is the architect

LCH developments is the client.

1638313166271.png

1638313187798.png

1638313268135.png

1638313292343.png

1638313316874.png

1638313341371.png

1638313364032.png

From the Cover Letter:

1638313472996.png

Edit to add:

Amended aerial pic to reflect the known assembly of 2328-2350 Kingston Road:

1638320140437.png

Amended Streetview:

From the intersection (far left) to the building with siding on the right.

1638320243814.png

Last edited:
Hey Everyone, my name’s Ryan and I’m the Development Manager on this and other LCH Projects – I just wanted to (re)introduce myself to the Forum. Not many developers do it and I know it's well appreciated when it happens.

A bit of my background – I actually first got interested in development browsing the forums and learned a lot from the commentary that goes on here. I also wrote articles part-time for UT for nearly two years, which itself was a full-time education in planning and development.

I know there’s a lot of experts on here and I’m looking forward to seeing the feedback on this and other projects. Feel free to PM me anytime.

With that, here’s another rendering of the project!
2350 Kingston Rendering FINAL.jpg

My concern is that the lack of ground floor retail sets the wrong precedent for this strip. Fine-grained retail works best when you have an unbroken strip and this proposal creates a huge retail gap. A bunch of buildings like this with spread out, single retail spaces and big gaps is not going to create a streetscape that helps the strip live up to its potential. Even now, in its degraded state, you can see that this area has the potential to be a fantastic, walkable destination. I always feel drawn to want to stroll around there, even in its bombed out condition. When I look at the white building in th render I picture myself being bored when I walk by it and wishing they'd put in some more stores.

I think the ground level is taking cues from the area's current state instead of building what it should be like in the future.

My concern is that the lack of ground floor retail sets the wrong precedent for this strip. Fine-grained retail works best when you have an unbroken strip and this proposal creates a huge retail gap. A bunch of buildings like this with spread out, single retail spaces and big gaps is not going to create a streetscape that helps the strip live up to its potential. Even now, in its degraded state, you can see that this area has the potential to be a fantastic, walkable destination. I always feel drawn to want to stroll around there, even in its bombed out condition. When I look at the white building in th render I picture myself being bored when I walk by it and wishing they'd put in some more stores.

I think the ground level is taking cues from the area's current state instead of building what it should be like in the future.

It is an understandable concern for sure - and I agree that the long term vision for this strip is a walkable destination. At the corner of Kingston and Sharpe we are proposing a double-height feature retail space, further down in the white portion of the building each bay of windows is its own separate live-work unit with a place for signage above. The way the unit is set up is that the kitchen/living/bedroom space is on the upper floor and the ground floor is essentially a blank slate for a business owner to build out their space. These are not large spaces (700 - 800 square feet) so that they are affordable for small business owners. We've seen success with this at Merge Condos - and expect that each owner will be operating an individual business. Hope that helps!

I lived in Cliffside for 24 years and it is great to see so much development happening. The Cliffside stretch of Kingston Rd has always looked slummy to me, this pharmacy is the only nice storefront on the north side thru the entire stretch. I’m told Troy will be moving his pharmacy to the base of Haven on the Bluffs 👍

Hey Everyone, my name’s Ryan and I’m the Development Manager on this and other LCH Projects – I just wanted to (re)introduce myself to the Forum. Not many developers do it and I know it's well appreciated when it happens.

A bit of my background – I actually first got interested in development browsing the forums and learned a lot from the commentary that goes on here. I also wrote articles part-time for UT for nearly two years, which itself was a full-time education in planning and development.

I know there’s a lot of experts on here and I’m looking forward to seeing the feedback on this and other projects. Feel free to PM me anytime.

With that, here’s another rendering of the project!
View attachment 375659
Is LCH looking to buy up more properties in Cliffside? The stretch east of this up to Wongs needs some redeveloping 🙃.

Quick update on Cliffside Condos (cliffsidecondos.com)

A revised SPA submission was submitted August 2022, key revisions:
- small changes to step-backs to meet rear-yard angular plane
- introduction of a 1500 sqft restaurant-oriented retail unit on the east side of the Kingston Road frontage.
- The mid-block connection on the east side of the site has been widened to accommodate a covered restaurant patio. The mural intended for the east wall of the building would extend to the roof of the mid-block connection.
- The current lay-by parking that exists in front of the site is proposed to be closed to widen the sidewalk and permit a row of tree planters. This parking is being replaced in the laneway at the rear of the building.
- Live/work units on the ground floor have been reduced in width (i.e size) to make them more affordable for the eventual operators.
- Tree planting has gone from 3 (original submission) to 12.

A few more design changes are still in-progress!

West View Cliffside Condos.png

East View Cliffside Condos.png

This is a good set of improvements over all, particularly the removal of lay-by parking on Kingston Road in favour of Street Trees.

However, in reviewing the landscape drawings, and the associated soil volume chart, they do not appear to be in agreement.

The rendering above, also doesn't match the landscape plan drawings.

1666363049801.png

Note the soil volume per tree below:

1666363117053.png

Then compare it with (for soil areas 4, 5 and 6)

1666363165191.png

I'm inclined to think the drawing is correct and the soil volume per tree is fine; but these two really ought to agree.

This is a good set of improvements over all, particularly the removal of lay-by parking on Kingston Road in favour of Street Trees.

However, in reviewing the landscape drawings, and the associated soil volume chart, they do not appear to be in agreement.

The rendering above, also doesn't match the landscape plan drawings.

View attachment 433882

Note the soil volume per tree below:

View attachment 433884

Then compare it with (for soil areas 4, 5 and 6)

View attachment 433885

I'm inclined to think the drawing is correct and the soil volume per tree is fine; but these two really ought to agree.
Oh no :( But yes, the trees have 30m3 per tree. Drawings that have been updated since then have the stats properly coordinated.

Planter beds are intended to have bench seating:
1666364496991.png

New rendering was taken from the architectural plan via Minor variance. Total height changed from 34.70m to 35.55m. The total unit changed from. 187 units to 208 units. Finally, the total parking space changed from 181 parking to 148 parking.

PLN-CA Plans - FEB 7  2023-1.jpg

PLN-CA Plans - FEB 7  2023-2.jpg

Back