News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Got this by mail. They are really going all in.
DA2DAB87-524D-4873-BF99-FA128A302B7D.jpeg

Last edited:
Noticed that they field mounted an extension to the plow at the front end. Is that a temporary attachment?

I moved heaven and earth to do this one same day! Canada's National Rail Carrier VIA has unveiled its new fleet, and the trains are among the nicest I’ve ever seen, come for a tour with me in this latest video!

Oh yeah these look very sharp.

New trains cannot be operated at top speed due to track quality...sad!
If I may comment. I am no expert in these matters, but I believe that 'while VIA won't be operating these at those speeds on current services largely due to track quality' from Reece Martin's article may be a bit facile.

The CN corridor between Quebec City and Toronto is engineered to accommodate freight trains much heavier and slower moving than the Via passenger trains. The issue is not track quality, but track configuration. In particular, track bed curves and banking camber (superelevation) are designed and engineered for optimal performance for freight traffic operating at freight train speeds. The result is a track bed that is not ideal for lighter, faster passenger trains. The issue is not one of track quality but of primary purpose and engineering design. Obviously, dedicated passenger train tracks would be optimized for passenger train performance, and not be subject to the issues of a joint passenger / freight set of tracks.

Apologies if this has already been posted.

We‘ve already discussed this at length back in October:

New schedule for 84 as of November 15, as discussed on groups.io:

View attachment 356931

Metrolinx’ Kitchener service is still to blame for that new schedule, even if not the London extension itself:
I am aware you are neither looking for a new job nor believing that you would be more qualified to do the job of VIA's timetablers. However, when you say that seeing #84's new schedule makes you doubt that the connections "were carefully timed", I feel compelled to point out that there hardly was any choice since there are only four gaps in the timetable which allow to sneak through Georgetown, which leaves only six slots:
  • Slot A: Operate between GO#3904 and GO#3956 (dep. Kitchener 05:09 and 06:02, respectively)
  • Slot B: Sneak through Georgetown between GO#3812 (dep. 09:30) and GO#3911 (dep. 10:35)
  • Slot C: Sneak through Georgetown between GO#3818 (dep. 12:30) and GO#3917 (dep. 13:35)
  • Slot D: Sneak through Georgetown between GO#3824 (dep. 15:32) and GO#3923 (dep. 16:35)
  • Slot E: Sneak through Georgetown between GO#3836 (dep. 21:30) and GO#3935 (dep. 22:35)
  • Slot F: Operate after the arrivals of GO#3935 in Kitchener (arr. 23:28) and of GO #3937 in Guelph (arr. 00:04)
Of these six possible slots, 2 depart Sarnia before 6am and 2 arrive in Toronto after 10 pm, which only leaves Slots C and D - and in order to allow passengers from Sarnia and intermediary stations to spend any time in Toronto, Slot C was the only plausible choice:
View attachment 357804

That said, I fully agree with you that if the infrastructure owner is unable or unwilling to provide more timetable flexibility than only two at least potentially viable slots per day, then there is little point in attempting to provide any Corridor services on that route at all. Nevertheless, the Kitchener Corridor still remains the only corridor over which fast and frequent passenger rail service between Toronto and London seems conceivable within our lifetimes...

That is the topic of a debate we are currently having at Groups.io:

In any case, the absurd lack of time windows to sneak through Georgetown is the dominating timetable constraint which dictates what is possible West of Georgetown, but with the windows being 3 hours apart and the travel time being almost exactly 90 minutes between Georgetown and Stratford, Stratford might be the only place where you could possibly meet. However, such a meet would escalate the risk of cascading trains (where a delayed westbound train delays the eastbound train at Stratford, which in turn delays the outbound GO train at Georgetown, which will then delay the westbound GO train in Kitchener) - and this might be exactly the kind of operational risk Metrolinx would be reluctant to accept...

Last edited:
We‘ve already discussed this at length back in October:

Metrolinx’ Kitchener service is still to blame for that new schedule, even if not the London extension itself:
Faster track times would result in the train occupying the track for less time and as a result you could add more train slots. That might be a solution.

Faster track times would result in the train occupying the track for less time and as a result you could add more train slots. That might be a solution.
Faster track speeds West of Georgetown only increases the turnaround time in Kitchener (assuming that the arrival and departure times at Union stay unchanged), whereas faster track speeds East of Georgetown would actually decrease the gap through which VIA trains can sneak. The only effective capacity-enhancing measure is to add a passing track suitable for a VIA train to meet a GO Kitchener train anywhere West of Silver Junction…

Last edited:

Back