Interesting note - only 2 teams out of 4 submitted:

EnTransit

Applicant Lead: SNC-Lavalin Capital, Siemens Project Ventures, Keolis
Construction Team: SNC-Lavalin, Siemens
Design Team: SNC-Lavalin, Siemens, Balfour Beatty Rail
Operations & Maintenance Team: Keolis SNCF, SNC-Lavalin, Siemens
Financial Advisor: National Bank

ONxpress Transportation Partners

Applicant Lead: Aecon Concessions, John Holland, Meridiam Infrastructure, Alstom Transport Canada
Construction Team: Aecon IM, John Holland, Alstom
Design Team: WSP, Hatch, Alstom
Operations & Maintenance Team: Deutsche Bahn, John Holland, Aecon O&M
Financial Advisor: RBC Dominion Securities

Interesting note - only 2 teams out of 4 submitted:

EnTransit

Applicant Lead: SNC-Lavalin Capital, Siemens Project Ventures, Keolis
Construction Team: SNC-Lavalin, Siemens
Design Team: SNC-Lavalin, Siemens, Balfour Beatty Rail
Operations & Maintenance Team: Keolis SNCF, SNC-Lavalin, Siemens
Financial Advisor: National Bank

ONxpress Transportation Partners

Applicant Lead: Aecon Concessions, John Holland, Meridiam Infrastructure, Alstom Transport Canada
Construction Team: Aecon IM, John Holland, Alstom
Design Team: WSP, Hatch, Alstom
Operations & Maintenance Team: Deutsche Bahn, John Holland, Aecon O&M
Financial Advisor: RBC Dominion Securities
Oh interesting - so MTR/Kiewit and ACS/Dragados/RATP dropped out...

ONxpress mentions John Holland for application lead and construction. I googled John Holland and the first hit is a psychic medium and spiritual teacher. The fact they submitted the bid after consulting the stars and reading the tea leaves means their bid is fait compli.

ONxpress mentions John Holland for application lead and construction. I googled John Holland and the first hit is a psychic medium and spiritual teacher. The fact they submitted the bid after consulting the stars and reading the tea leaves means their bid is fait compli.
So you're saying instead of a Tim's at every station, there's gonna be a palm reader?

Yeah, this was pretty obvious, given that the "post-electrification" map of services has those trains as diesel still, and battery trains over that section were probably never seriously considered. The situation with CN on their mainline will probably remain unresolved until the province/feds throw a big wad of money at them.

It's only taken 8 years to close the bidding.................that was quick.

Now that they know the 2 finalist, what do we know about their proposals in terms of electrification {battery/catenary or combo}, and the trains {EMU/electric locomotive/single or two level}? All those specifications would have been included in their proposals.

It's only taken 8 years to close the bidding.................that was quick.

Now that they know the 2 finalist, what do we know about their proposals in terms of electrification {battery/catenary or combo}, and the trains {EMU/electric locomotive/single or two level}? All those specifications would have been included in their proposals.
It isn't public information, we'll have to wait until the winner is announced in 2022: "Over the next several months, Infrastructure Ontario and Metrolinx will evaluate the proposals. A successful proponent is expected to be announced in 2022."

It isn't public information, we'll have to wait until the winner is announced in 2022: "Over the next several months, Infrastructure Ontario and Metrolinx will evaluate the proposals. A successful proponent is expected to be announced in 2022."
but isnt the "operations teams" AECON vs SIEMENS? any suspiciouns of which trainsets they would use?

the only question is whether they would use Off the shelf ones or custom designed ones i guess right?

but isnt the "operations teams" AECON vs SIEMENS? any suspiciouns of which trainsets they would use?

the only question is whether they would use Off the shelf ones or custom designed ones i guess right?
I can't see why we would need custom designed trains unless I am missing something really specific. Since AECON is working with Alstom I would be certain the trains they would use would be the Alstom Coradia Duplex trains (assuming we are going with bi-level EMU's.) Alstom has the benefit of METRA in the states buying duplex passenger cars as well so they will have FRA approval by the time we place our order, so we could probably just buy trains of similar spec; the only changes likely being cosmetic. As for Siemens we would likely buy the Double-Deck variant of the Desiro trains. The one thing working against Siemens though is that while the Desiro is used in North America; its only the single-level version. In fact Switzerland is the only country that uses the Double-Deck version so we would probably have to get some design work done on them to ensure that meet our North American standards. This is in contrast to Alstom who will have an off the shelf, FRA approved product thanks to the Metra order (even if they are just buying the passenger cars, and not full EMU's).

To be honest this seems like a foregone conclusion to me. Alstom already has a relationship with Metrolinx, they have a facility in Thunder Bay to make the trains (and Montreal if TB shits the bed again), and will already have Coradia Duplex cars operating in Chicago by the time we get started.

Last edited:
I can't see why we would need custom designed trains unless I am missing something really specific. Since AECON is working with Alstom I would be certain the trains they would use would be the Alstom Coradia Duplex trains (assuming we are going with bi-level EMU's.) Alstom has the benefit of METRA in the states buying duplex passenger cars as well so they will have FRA approval by the time we place our order, so we could probably just buy trains of similar spec. As for Siemens we would likely buy the Double-Deck variant of the Desiro trains. The one thing working against Siemens though is that while the Desiro is used in North America; its only the single-level version. In fact Switzerland is the only country that uses the Double-Deck version so we would probably have to get some design work done on them to ensure that meet our North American standards. This is in contrast to Alstom who will have an off the shelf, FRA approved product thanks to the Metra order (even if they are just buying the passenger cars, and not full EMU's). Alstom also has the benefit of having facilities in Ontario to manufacture the trains.

To be honest this seems like a foregone conclusion to me. Alstom already has a relationship with Metrolinx, they have a facility in Thunder Bay to make the trains (and Montreal if TB shits the bed again), and will already have Coradia Duplex cars operating in Chicago by the time we get started.
The Metra order is for rail cars to replace the gallery cars and not emus if I'm reading the details correctly. Besides, with frequency ramped way up and with emus would there even be a need for the Goliath bi level commuter trains? They can run more frequent single level trains and still keep up with demand

Its a real shame that Stadler isn't in the running. They've already established themselves in NA for both the kiss and the flirt

I can't see why we would need custom designed trains unless I am missing something really specific. Since AECON is working with Alstom I would be certain the trains they would use would be the Alstom Coradia Duplex trains (assuming we are going with bi-level EMU's.) Alstom has the benefit of METRA in the states buying duplex passenger cars as well so they will have FRA approval by the time we place our order, so we could probably just buy trains of similar spec; the only changes likely being cosmetic. As for Siemens we would likely buy the Double-Deck variant of the Desiro trains. The one thing working against Siemens though is that while the Desiro is used in North America; its only the single-level version. In fact Switzerland is the only country that uses the Double-Deck version so we would probably have to get some design work done on them to ensure that meet our North American standards. This is in contrast to Alstom who will have an off the shelf, FRA approved product thanks to the Metra order (even if they are just buying the passenger cars, and not full EMU's).

Didn't Alstom sell the Coradia brand to CAF recently?

Back