I'll say this much.... Nothing so far has appeased the RO residents so I don't think gifting them the station will do it. Indeed, given their VERY vocal opposition to noise, vibration etc. Why would they want something that will justify intensification and lead to years of new development, including construction and more traffic etc. Best to cut your losses.

https://stevemunro.ca/2021/12/17/metrolinx-realigns-yonge-north-subway-route/

SM made an excellent analysis of the realignment. Station is indeed deeper and on yonge now. ML claims it doesn't effect budget but we'll see. Well....residents of RO...you got what you asked for...NOW PAY FOR IT!
unnamed.jpg

It has taken three years but work to build the deepest subway station in Canada is well underway in Montréal. The new platform at the Édouard-Montpetit station is approximately 70 meters underground.

See link.

station-edouard-montpetit-REM.png
From link.

Last edited:
Will Bridge Station and High Tech Station be the closest on the TTC subway network? I haven't had time to measure the distance but I wonder how it compares to St. Andrew and Osgoode?

You think the route they're not taking because it would have cost a lot more (and had longer travel times if subways could handle the curves, which they can't) will... Cost significantly more? I'm not sure what you're saying.

Rereading, I think you got confused. The current shift was cost neutral. As I posted above, residents had asked them to explore an alternative that stayed on Yonge until the cemetery. That's the one that cost $235m more.

But, hey, we can ask Ontario taxpayers if they're willing to spend a cool quarter million to ensure these 20 suburban families are happy.

Good catch, my mistake.

The adjusted route...I'm finding it hard to believe that will be cost neutral.

Will Bridge Station and High Tech Station be the closest on the TTC subway network? I haven't had time to measure the distance but I wonder how it compares to St. Andrew and Osgoode?

I mean, you can measure different ways but it's pretty easy to check on Google that entrance to entrance, those 2 stations are closer. I'd imagine Queen / Dundas is similar.
And those stations are in a similar urban context. Neither is a terminal or has a bus station, which differentiates the functions of the 2 YNSE stations.

Good catch, my mistake.

The adjusted route...I'm finding it hard to believe that will be cost neutral.

It was a lot of info coming at once :)
Even if it's not literally the same cost, even if a bit more, it's not the $235m change the residents wanted. So it's the cost of democracy, I guess.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211218-165555_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20211218-165555_Maps.jpg
    594.7 KB · Views: 93
It has taken three years but work to build the deepest subway station in Canada is well underway in Montréal. The new platform at the Édouard-Montpetit station is approximately 70 meters underground.

See link.

station-edouard-montpetit-REM.png
From link.
Meanwhile, it is 20 metres short of the deepest metro station at 90 metres.

Bay to Bloor Yonge is also closer. It seems to be a quarter of a mile from High Tech to Bridge, which is reasonable considering the insane density they are planning.

From local Cllr Filion's email blast:

Work Will Begin Next Year on Subway Extension
When the 8 kilometer extension of Yonge (Line 1) subway is completed by Metrolinx in 2030, it's expected to add 94,000 passengers daily from four new stations. This will ease traffic between the 905 municipalities and downtown Toronto, but first a major construction period will begin in 2023.

Before any major work, changes are required at Finch station to accommodate the extension. Most of the work will be on the "tail track" – the tunnel extending past the station used to temporarily park trains – or on various electrical systems behind the scenes. Some projects will take place at street level, including a new power substation and fire department access near Yonge and Hendon. This work will begin in the fall of 2022.

Metrolinx continues to work on public engagement, sharing information on the project with interested neighbourhoods and communities. Their next online engagement is scheduled for Wednesday, January 5 at 6:30 PM. Register online here:

This thread has gone off the rails, and not because of the people posting here. Metrolinx sucks and so does the community forcing all these changes. All this time has been wasted when Cummer could have been in preconstruction already.

Any construction at the Finch Station on Line 1 should include putting in a station box, or at minimum knock out panels, for the future eastern extension of Line 6 (AKA Finch West LRT), from Finch West Station to Finch Station.

None of stations are in preconstruction. They're all still being designed and I haven't seen any suggestion that what's been going on with Royal Orchard has delayed anything. The line isn't supposed to open until after Ontario Line, almost 10 years from now. Maybe Cummer will still happen but it seems like a red herring.

Yeah, maybe it's been a bit of a circus but let's not get carried away.

Last edited:

Back