Have a closer look at the drawings.

I don't see any brick at ground level.

Looks like a grey vertical siding, and a taupe, faux-wood finish siding/tile inset.

This was a rushed application and rendering to get in front of the new foundation drainage policies the city has adopted. The townhouses still need a lot of work to improve the at grade experience as does the landscaping. Things will improve in a resubmission but we appreciate any feedback in the meantime.

Needs more retail.

This is a rare case where I'm not so sure.

This is a quiet part of Strachan right before it becomes purely residential.

This is what's across the street:

1641747175596.png

I see value in a 'townhouse' form at the base of this tower.

The Heritage House has been a restaurant in recent years:

1641747247365.png

But was, historically a small grocery store.

I think a case could be made for either of 'food retail' or restaurant.

Though in the case of the former, a full grocery store probably doesn't make sense; but maybe a butcher shop or a bakery could work.

As a restaurant it would be nice to see a patio offered up, but the current landscape plan and siting would not seem to allow that.

But perhaps that could be considered.

Last edited:
I would prefer if the brick facades could be carried through to the ground level, otherwise, it looks pretty good.

I kind of lean in the same direction.........but I'm a bit head scratchy on it at the same time.

That podium brick really feels like a nod to the old industrial warehouses, where the townhouses feel unabashedly modern.

One could argue there's a certain incongruity in that, and bringing the brick down would be more cohesive.

I'm certainly open to that.

But architecturally, with a terrace/balcony sitting over the flat jut-out roof of the townhomes, I'm not sure if you can mesh that or not.

One thing is, the columns at the level of the townhomes don't line up with those on the podium.

That makes it a bit visually awkward if you try to make the two tiers in the same style.

I dunno..........🤔

I think Toronto needs more retail streets and this is a perfect opportunity to expand in my opinion. Strachan may remain relatively sleepy with some local retail too. It is an important bike route.

There are a number of Toronto streets with retail primarily only on one side of the street, so there is precedent. Roncesvalles being the most obvious.

I think Toronto needs more retail streets and this is a perfect opportunity to expand in my opinion. Strachan may remain relatively sleepy with some local retail too. It is an important bike route.

There are a number of Toronto streets with retail primarily only on one side of the street, so there is precedent. Roncesvalles being the most obvious.
yea a bit of an off Queen quieter street, and as you say a very important street for active transportation and pedestrians - links Liberty village, the lake and Bellwoods. I think it would be nice if retail spaces had the option of existing.

I kind of lean in the same direction.........but I'm a bit head scratchy on it at the same time.

That podium brick really feels like a nod to the old industrial warehouses, where the townhouses feel unabashedly modern.

One could argue there's a certain incongruity in that, and bringing the brick down would be more cohesive.

I'm certainly open to that.

But architecturally, with a terrace/balcony sitting over the flat jut-out roof of the townhomes, I'm not sure if you can mesh that or not.

One thing is, the columns at the level of the townhomes don't line up with those on the podium.

That makes it a bit visually awkward if you try to make the two tiers in the same style.

I dunno..........🤔
Even if the main columns don't come down all the way I would certainly prefer to see warmer tones at street level.

I like the proposal in general, but I do get cruise ship vibes from the terraced glass.

Even if the main columns don't come down all the way I would certainly prefer to see warmer tones at street level.

I like the proposal in general, but I do get cruise ship vibes from the terraced glass.

On the glass, what do you think of going with 'smoked' glass instead (dark tint) ?

On the glass, what do you think of going with 'smoked' glass instead (dark tint) ?
111 strachan 3.jpg

on the balustrade or the entirety of the glass? I think it might be either the rounded corners, or the way it's terraced on both sides that's making see boats.

also I want to add that I'm very happy the corner house is being retained, and even better if Penny's can return.

View attachment 373953

on the balustrade or the entirety of the glass? I think it might be either the rounded corners, or the way it's terraced on both sides that's making see boats.

also I want to add that I'm very happy the corner house is being retained, and even better if Penny's can return.

I was thinking particularly of the balcony panels throughout. You can see in the render, if accurate, the intent for dark./black window panes, and I'm inclined towards the balcony glazing playing off that. But I'm not decided. (as if I get to) LOL

View attachment 373953

+1 for Pennys return, it's such a hidden gem. One of my favourite summer patios in the city

Back