Updated architectural plans were uploaded to the AIC on November 19th, 2021. No major changes in the design, but some noticeable changes when looking at fine details. Bringing some of the detailed elevation drawings forward:

View attachment 374726
View attachment 374727View attachment 374728
View attachment 374729
View attachment 374730
View attachment 374731
View attachment 374732
View attachment 374733
View attachment 374734
View attachment 374735
Is it just me, or are the designs looking continuously cleaner? I like the direction where this is going.

If it had more of this:

1642139744063-png.374727

and less of this:

1642140092347-png.374731

(even if that is the Pearl Street side) I'd be a lot happier with it.

The ground floor in general is pretty underwhelming and anti-urban. Some of the finishes look promising though.
The finishes are a bit bland but the ground floor programming is generally quite good. Lots of entrances from the street for different uses, smaller retail units with larger units on the second floor, etc.

The finishes are a bit bland but the ground floor programming is generally quite good. Lots of entrances from the street for different uses, smaller retail units with larger units on the second floor, etc.
Thats kind of what I remembered, but these renderings look pretty sparse along the street. For some reason I remember Pearl being a bit more animated as well.

If it had more of this:

1642139744063-png.374727

and less of this:

1642140092347-png.374731

(even if that is the Pearl Street side) I'd be a lot happier with it.

I would have at least like to see the bottom example blend more into a deconstructivist pose as they've done with some with the other window (curtain?) walls of this nature for this project...

...but I'm afraid if they make any more changes now it will be another 10 years or so before they decide to build it. So let's suck this up for now. >.<

260-270 and 274-322 King Street West Extension of Part Lot Control Exemption Application - Final Report

This item will be considered by Toronto and East York Community Council on February 16, 2022. It will be considered by City Council on March 9, 2022, subject to the actions of the Toronto and East York Community Council.

Summary
On June 13, 2016 an application was submitted to permit an exemption from Part Lot Control for the lands known as 260-270 and 274-322 King Street West to facilitate the implementation of a mixed-use development on the subject properties. The properties are located on two blocks between King Street West to the south and Pearl Street to the north including all properties between John Street and Ed Mirvish Way (West Block), and two properties east of Ed Mirvish Way (East Block). The development includes two tall buildings of 84 and 74 storeys on the West and East Blocks respectively designed by renowned architect Frank Gehry.

The Part Lot Control exemption was requested to facilitate the division of the lands into a number of parcels to enable the owner to transfer portions of the lands along with easements and rights-of way needed to facilitate the implementation of the proposed development. On January 31, 2017 Council approved the Part Lot Control Exemption application and on April 28, 2017 enacted By-law No. 424-2017 exempting these lands from the Part Lot Control provisions of the Planning Act for a period of 5 years.

This report recommends that exemption from Part Lot Control be extended for an additional 5 years to allow for the completion of the project and associated transactions.​

I would have at least like to see the bottom example blend more into a deconstructivist pose as they've done with some with the other window (curtain?) walls of this nature for this project...

...but I'm afraid if they make any more changes now it will be another 10 years or so before they decide to build it. So let's suck this up for now. >.<
I agree. Less fussing and more building! 😃

For a building that's being presented as a landmark, I'd rather wait another 10 years and have it done right. Save for the retained heritage facades, there's little to no street level interest; if you didn't look up you'd have no idea it's not just another plain glass condo.

For a building that's being presented as a landmark, I'd rather wait another 10 years and have it done right. Save for the retained heritage facades, there's little to no street level interest; if you didn't look up you'd have no idea it's not just another plain glass condo.
...I wouldn't go that far.

I'd argue the opposite. That intricate glass feature over Duncan Street wasn't really realistic in any way. We've already waited quite a while to get this off of the ground anyway. Incorporating the facades risks looking makeshift, and might cause even less street level interest that it already does, looking exactly like what it does currently.

I'd argue the opposite. That intricate glass feature over Duncan Street wasn't really realistic in any way. We've already waited quite a while to get this off of the ground anyway. Incorporating the facades risks looking makeshift, and might cause even less street level interest that it already does, looking exactly like what it does currently.
I don't understand why we get so excited about shiny grey/blue cubes stacked on top of each other, but even more disappointing to me is the podium. It's so lazy and I don't understand how these starchitects can design world-renowned landmarks but seem unable or unwilling to make a decent podium. Imagine yourself walking by at street-level... how boring would that be (unless you're looking up)? Why not get back to the basics of decent design if it isn't feasible to do an "out of this world" façade?

I don't understand why we get so excited about shiny grey/blue cubes stacked on top of each other, but even more disappointing to me is the podium. It's so lazy and I don't understand how these starchitects can design world-renowned landmarks but seem unable or unwilling to make a decent podium. Imagine yourself walking by at street-level... how boring would that be (unless you're looking up)? Why not get back to the basics of decent design if it isn't feasible to do an "out of this world" façade?
and how about connecting to the PATH across the street? They are adding thousands of residents and should connect to the path literally a few meters away.

Back