News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The difference is between the 11 and 17 routes is actually only about 40km.
Hmm ... half-an-hour difference. Those curves must be ugly in the winter around the lake, especially if there's lake effect snow.

I'm surprised! From looking at the map, I always assumed it was more! Shame there wasn't a more northerly route around Thunder Bay. That would provide some redundancy if the highway at Nipigon is close again.

11 is shorter though from both Ottawa (about 30 km) and Montreal (about 100 km).

Hmm ... half-an-hour difference. Those curves must be ugly in the winter around the lake, especially if there's lake effect snow.

I'm surprised! From looking at the map, I always assumed it was more! Shame there wasn't a more northerly route around Thunder Bay. That would provide some redundancy if the highway at Nipigon is close again.

11 is shorter though from both Ottawa (about 30 km) and Montreal (about 100 km).
So did I. I've done both routes - many times - when I used to live up there, in all seasons. Both are subject to weather closures but the 17 route moreso because of its proximity to the lake. For a commercial carrier thinking about on-time and fuel issues highway 11is often the preferred route so long as you don't have to hit Sudbury or the Soo or cross the border, but it is s-o-o-o boring.

I believe there was some consideration of a second route east of Thunder Bay but the cost of a 'greenfield' route would have been prohibitive. Their solution was a two roadway (divided highway) between TBay and the 11/17 junction @ Nipigon, including separate bridges.

Found this yesterday.

Provincial Highway Infrastructure: Include the extension of Highway 427 to Highway 9 on the Greater Golden Horseshoe Transportation Plan and plan for low carbon transportation such as HOV lanes and electric vehicle charging infrastructure.

Lol oppose The 413 but still advocate for the 427 extension, which arguably requires even greater natural heritage area impacts? What?
A much better expansion would be to buy out the properties facing 10, upgrade it to a 400 series highway ending at 109, as well with a small bypass around the village and Victoria. All they really need to do is pave the shoulders and add a tall wall down the middle. The biggest upgrades would be interchanges, which could be cheaper Parclo A2s. A potential problem could be the steeper grades which I'm not sure fit in the 400 series standards.

even 10 being upgraded to a RIRO a la 35 or 11 up to Orangeville would be useful. Same with 6 between Waterdown and the 401.

There is a general gap of service along the Highway 50 alignment running up to New Tecumseth, especially relating to access to Bolton, but nothing that isn't really solvable. I'd be supportive of a small expansion of the 427 north to the Mayfield Road area, or at most King Rd, but beyond that is unnecessary if you ask me, at least for the next several decades.

Lol oppose The 413 but still advocate for the 427 extension, which arguably requires even greater natural heritage area impacts? What?
My guess is that they advocate for the 427 extension to HWY 9 since it could potentially justify opening sections of eastern Caledon's Greenbelt to development. Hopefully the province doesn't plan on doing that. Since the 413 goes through mostly unprotected land, it doesn't really give them anything new in terms of additional development space, and technically, slightly less space to build.

Such an extension doesn't really make sense until both after the Bradford Bypass gets built, and Simcoe County starts to fill out more in the southern sections, which won't be for decades.

Design-Build contract for a new interchange on the Highway 6 Hanlon Parkway awarded.

273148958_303799191784722_3373171005667485434_n.jpg

Precursor to the eventual Highway 6 / 401 realignment project.

The potential for these "smart lights" are huge if done right. Not only for reducing congestion but also for safety, as dangerous unprotected left turns can have their own "smart" phase. Could be great for pedestrians too, as it could be possible for more than one direction having the walk phase if no cars are coming from that direction and no cars are turning. Everyone benefits.
This video explains it pretty well

Back