News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

A friend and her teenage daughter both got shingles after their vaccines. They’re not tinhat conspiracists, but they do wonder if there‘s a connection. It’s unusual for a teenager to get shingles.

A friend and her teenage daughter both got shingles after their vaccines. They’re not tinhat conspiracists, but they do wonder if there‘s a connection. It’s unusual for a teenager to get shingles.

I had the shingles vaccine, so no problem for me.

giphy-7.gif
From link. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Oh, that would really trigger Quebecers.
I read it when it was first published and I wasn't "triggered" (not that I would be likely to ever use that annoying word). I found it to be well-balanced. Language is but one aspect of culture. I visited France many times, and it is pretty much the only thing we really have in common. Some French immigrants are under the mistaken impression that this commonality will make it easier for them to adapt to their new country.

I read it when it was first published and I wasn't "triggered" (not that I would be likely to ever use that annoying word). I found it to be well-balanced. Language is but one aspect of culture. I visited France many times, and it is pretty much the only thing we really have in common. Some French immigrants are under the mistaken impression that this commonality will make it easier for them to adapt to their new country.
It’s like an anglophone Torontonian moving to Arkansas. Language is only one connection.

It’s like an anglophone Torontonian moving to Arkansas. Language is only one connection.
Indeed, I'm not an anglophone but I have been a Torontonian for 34 years and I spent a lot of time in the U.S.; even Pittsburgh or Atlanta seem very foreign. People down there are really on edge.

Indeed, I'm not an anglophone but I have been a Torontonian for 34 years and I spent a lot of time in the U.S.; even Pittsburgh or Atlanta seem very foreign. People down there are really on edge.
Quebec is really hostile to outsiders and especially to folks who aren't Francophone in my experience.

Quebec is really hostile to outsiders and especially to folks who aren't Francophone in my experience.

In 2012 I went to Gatineau to visit the Museum of Civilization (now the Museum of History) from Ottawa. When I went to catch a Quebec bus in Gatineau the driver refused to speak in English.

That being said, I am proud of how Quebec is handling the covid situation. Since 1995, I have been of the opinion that Quebec should leave rather than be a pain in everyone's ass. Right now, I am proud to have the as part of Canada and I wish the other provinces would follow their lead.

I've been to Quebec a number of times on bike trips and have never encountered that. Between the group of us (none functionally bilingual by any stretch) I found that by us stumbling our way through our high school French and them their acquired English, we managed quite successfully. They appreciated that we tried. One off-the-beaten path restaurant came to a language impass but it way anything but hostile. Many restaurants will have English menus. I have heard that up in the Saguenay region it can be a little touchy. The only time somebody got a little snippy was at a gas station - in Hawkesbury - Ontario.

Last edited:
A friend of mine from Germany and his family joined my family on a week stay in Cape Cod. I had to tell him in advance not to make any political jokes. I told him, these Americans might look like us (well, fatter versions) and perhaps even sound like us, but you never know who's a Conservative nutbar, so shut your pie hole.

When I lived in Fredericton and traveled often from/to Toronto we would always ensure to enter and exit Quebec on the first day. I just couldn't be bothered with the 'tude. It was either race to Cornwall or race to Edmunston.

Mind you, NB francophones were golden, I loved those folks. I'd go mushing with them in the north several times each winter and always enjoyed my tours of the north shore. Now that's an example of same language but different culture.

Last edited:
They treat foreigners better than other Canadians. I was denied my Health Card in Québec because I was a full time student, in Québec, had a bought a loft in DT Montréal and worked DT Montréal. I wasn't be able to get it because last place I lived as a student was in Ontario... but I still had to pay for my taxes in Québec. I travelled 8 months from Ottawa to Montréal for work by Greyhound, took me 7h everyday just to get to work (and I wasn't the only one doing that, there were monthly passes). I lost money selling my loft because of the market at the time. I said never again with the Québec government, they are inept at whatever they touch. I was even denied my professional engineering license in Québec because my house was in Ontario, even if I was working in Québec, they didn't consider my experience to be from Québec by their books. It's such as stupid clusterfuck in everything. - I had bought a small house in Ontario after the RAMQ experience and a small condo in Montréal for a pied-à-terre, sold bought for a bigger lakefront house in 2020. The government always sound chauvinistic at first but it always end up as being incompetent AF in the end. Pandemic showed that too with all the deaths in the old folks homes, unjustified curfew etc. On the other end, I find Anglo Ontarians to be too much Ned Flandersy, always saying yes and not thinking about the situation critically. But at least Service Ontario really tries to help its residents.

When I lived in Fredericton and traveled often from/to Toronto we would always ensure to enter and exit Quebec on the first day. I just couldn't be bothered with the 'tude. It was either race to Cornwall or race to Edmunston.

Mind you, NB francophones were golden, I loved those folks. I'd go mushing with them in the north several times each winter and always enjoyed my tours of the north shore. Now that's an example of same language but different culture.
Franco Ontarians are about the same, though though their French and English are impeccable, my French and English are bad. People switch language not knowing which one is my native tongue where I live.

Back