News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Just gonna leave this here
I don't think opposing the 413 and closing down the OBRY are hypocritical viewpoints. The two corridors run perpendicular to each other and serve different travel patterns. The only part of the corridor that could be truly useful as an alternate to the 413 (or really 410 expansion) would be south of Old School Road, through Brampton, and why is it that Orangeville's problem? It would be on Brampton to use that part of the corridor effectively.

This isn’t new to those in the know, but it is good to know that the news is official, with the station grounds now dedicated to parkland.
How much debate did this get in council? Seems an odd decision to drop $25 million on land and forgo $19k a year in tax revenue. Wonder what the rush was. Wonder what they were worried was going to happen to this land if they did not write the cheque?

How much debate did this get in council? Seems an odd decision to drop $25 million on land and forgo $19k a year in tax revenue. Wonder what the rush was. Wonder what they were worried was going to happen to this land if they did not write the cheque?

The money came out of the park acquisition budget and not out of general revenues, at least. I suspect the thinking was that with several highrise developments planned or underway, more parkland nearby would be a good thing.

As I, myself, live in a highrise building with many more being built around me, I really value the park space we have nearby and wish there was more too.

The money came out of the park acquisition budget and not out of general revenues, at least. I suspect the thinking was that with several highrise developments planned or underway, more parkland nearby would be a good thing.

As I, myself, live in a highrise building with many more being built around me, I really value the park space we have nearby and wish there was more too.
nothing against parks, and nothing against acquisitions of park lands but i am wondering about the "rush"...I don;t remember this being debated (it could have been, I don't follow city hall meetings that closely) and I don't think there was any great push for some alternative use...and, certainly, $5 mil an acre was not a price that I think the private sector was going to blow away even if there was an alternative use. It just all seems a bit weird.

I don't think opposing the 413 and closing down the OBRY are hypocritical viewpoints. The two corridors run perpendicular to each other and serve different travel patterns.
I strongly disagree, we live in an era where building brand new railway corridors is like asking for a toilet seat made out of gold, it will never happen, but building new roads is a drop in the bucket, what a joke. Orangeville is so desperate to get rid of the ONLY RAILWAY LEFT LINKING IT TO TORONTO just so they can get their money and DEVELOP the corridor, but at the same time they oppose the gta west highway? ????? because cars hurt the environment, but let's tear up yet another railway line.

Absolutely Brilliant

Which parcel(s) of land does that purchase entail - everything between Queen and Railroad or…? are the tracks removable or are there still discontinuance processes to complete?

Yes, everything between Queen and Railroad - see the attachments quoted below. The land includes the former Peel Ice & Fuel depot, which surely would be contaminated from all the heating oil and coal that was distributed there.

I don’t think there are any discontinuance processes to complete, it’s just a matter of decommissioning the railway itself and removing the track. So far, only long-disused materials and sidings have been removed so far, and that work started before the end of service.

In the spirit of today's weather.... fifty one years ago this month, Derry Road crossing, and Snelgrove rght across from the Flying Club

- Paul

CP 8445 Derry 1.jpg
CP 8445 Stuck 1.jpg

Back