News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I just get a page with Chinese characters.
1713 Westmount Road NW
1.JPG2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Question: What skyscraper designs and materials are timeless?
None. Designs and materials are great until everyone and their brother does a million cheap knockoffs of it and completely takes away from what made it great. Case and point Mies van der Rohe's TD Square in Toronto, great for it's time but it's been copied a million times and is now kinda just boring. Architecture is just too trendy nowadays, just look at all the buildings going up all over the place with a yellow box sticking out the side of it.

None. Designs and materials are great until everyone and their brother does a million cheap knockoffs of it and completely takes away from what made it great. Case and point Mies van der Rohe's TD Square in Toronto, great for it's time but it's been copied a million times and is now kinda just boring. Architecture is just too trendy nowadays, just look at all the buildings going up all over the place with a yellow box sticking out the side of it.
IMG_9491.jpg

This one hit home for me real hard @Mountain Man ...

Ha! I was just about to answer Mies van der Rohe. But I don't disagree with you. Buildings are a reflection of their era.

That said, the beauty of a Mies building is the attention to detail and the cheap knockoffs (by definition) do not have this feature. There's just something so breathtaking about the way everything lines up on the inside and the outside of a Mies building.

mies_seagram_04-1.jpg

e536f3241abfcb1309c49c76d8377fe9.jpg

5804-l.jpg

Ahh the Armour/IIT. If you're ever in Chicago head down to campus to play some disc golf and see some great buildings!

TD Centre in Toronto, I always liked the banking pavilion best. https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2020/11/toronto-dominion-centre-banking-pavilion

And yeah, attention to detail. He chose the flowers for the vases in the bank. Dictated black and white signs for the retail in the basement, and designed a font for them (only changed in the last 15 years).

Compared to Calatrava's Galleria in Toronto's Brookfield Place, TD centre was unified, with one vision. The Galleria, you can feel flashes of brilliance, like the spine inspired staircases, but the wonderful vaults that support the interior just don't mesh with the space, and instead of being featured and noticed, just are forgotten as a user.

They have dropped their partnership with Quarry Bay Investments (and I have heard rumour of a lawsuit as well), the previous real estate develompent firm they were partnered with. I have much greater confidence in quality projects coming from Co-op than what we have seen in the past.
Wow, who could've seen that coming! 😆

Not sure if this DP has been posted yet. However, I'm sure this proposal was discussed when the LOC was submitted.
Anyone have more info on this one?
Thread for the project is here:

Back