Even if no one lives there right now, the area around Exhibition station has BMO field, the Ex, a huge convention centre, and concerts. And it's steps from Liberty Village, where a lot of people do live.

I believe the original justification for Exhibition station is one of those forced transfers like the one at Kennedy from the subway to the SRT. It's to allow GO to terminate some trains at Exhibition instead of Union and make the passengers take the Ontario line the rest of the way. Metrolinx is hedging its bets on Union Rail Corridor track capacity.

There's also a (badly concealed) desire to flip Exhibition land into a new mega-development, which I will admit is needed given our housing shortage and the inability to build anything in "stable neighbourhoods". Ontario line will allow commuters to escape the new Exhibition neighbourhood and hopefully get somewhere.
So there it is. I remember in the early 2010s Metrolinx wanted to do this.
Broadly correct - I think the original scheme envisioned this happening at a new Spadina station. The extension to Exhibition while providing additional stations at Queen/Spadina and King/Bathurst is beneficial.

AoD
Even if no one lives there right now, the area around Exhibition station has BMO field, the Ex, a huge convention centre, and concerts. And it's steps from Liberty Village, where a lot of people do live.

Fair, my issue is this helps commuters. Not necessairily residents of Toronto in the west. It's a walk from Liberty village as well.

What's the justification for Exhibition station if it's getting extra GO Service? No one lives there. The DRL had a better route, but that is the past. as long as we can get to the west and sheppard , that's what matters.

Rolling stock is an entire different matter.

Totally agreed.
35719-120370.jpg

Liberty Village viewed from Hotel X, image by Forum contributor Jasonzed
From link.

From link.
For Exhibition Station, the route's westernmost terminus and an existing GO Station, some massive new buildings will be constructed for subway entrances on Atlantic Ave., Jefferson Ave. and Dufferin St. in Liberty Village.
1623876643-exhibition1.jpg

There will be a public courtyard outside the entrance to the Exhibition Station stop on Atlantic Ave. in Liberty Village. Rendering from the Province of Ontario.

1623876716-exhibition0.jpg

The bigger picture of what the station on Atlantic Ave. will look like, including new condos above. Rendering from the Province of Ontario.

1623876802-exhibition1.jpg

The station entrance on Dufferin St. will also include a housing development. Rendering from the Province of Ontario.

1623876852-exhibition2.jpg

Like the Atlantic Ave. entrance, the Dufferin entrance will have some public outdoor space and public realm improvements. Rendering from the Province of Ontario.

What's the justification for Exhibition station if it's getting extra GO Service? No one lives there.
This is where we find that Den hasn't been to Exhibition since the 1990s or early 2000s. Metrolinx has projected that Exhibition will be the third-busiest station on the Ontario line.

Here's a photo I took from the south platform in 2015. It's only grown since then!

IMG_20150616_215232.jpg

What's the justification for Exhibition station if it's getting extra GO Service? No one lives there. The DRL had a better route, but that is the past. as long as we can get to the west and sheppard , that's what matters.

Rolling stock is an entire different matter.

Totally agreed.
What's the justification for a Mt. Dennis Station? There's nothing there?

Aerial_view_of_the_Kodak_campus_in_Mount_Dennis.jpg
From link.

If one hasn't been someplace recently, of course there would be no justification. Be things change over time.

Ok, I see But all that is north of the Gardiner, when the station probably will be south. And that's a bit of a walk to Exhibition Station.

But I concede.

Ok, I see But all that is north of the Gardiner, when the station probably will be south. And that's a bit of a walk to Exhibition Station.

But I concede.
the station is going to be right at the end of Atlantic Avenue, on the north side of the rail corridor. Most of Liberty Village and the thousands of people living there will be in easy walking distance.

One block is too far for you?

View attachment 376539 From link.

It's a shorter distance than most high-rises around the most current suburban subway stations. Must be the stairs that are the obstacle course.
Right now that seems to be the biggest complaint from residents, that Exhibition is too far south and King Street is closer. Anecdotal opinion to be fair.

Let's see what happens.

Right now that seems to be the biggest complaint from residents, that Exhibition is too far south and King Street is closer. Anecdotal opinion to be fair.

Let's see what happens.
They want the station right outside their door. Then they'll complain about the construction noise, following by the passer-by noise.

You act like that's easy. Like I said let's see what happens.
The design is done, and they are already tendering it, with the goal to award it before the elections.

Not only does it all fit in, they are also building a new east-west road, just north of the station, from Dufferin to just west of Strachan (I think it joins up with Western Battery Road).

There's a lot of width there, as they've been reserving land for that road for decades - at one point as that cancelled ramp from the Gardiner that was to join up with Front and Bathurst.

Much of that land is those parking lots currently.
1643056468012.png

Back