Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score

Multiple residential buildings ranging from 6 -20 storeys.

Location+and+Site+Context-01.png
Capture.PNG

Site+Plan+Open+Spaces.png

Last edited:
This plans seems like a pretty cool idea. The only issue is the yeast factory on the other side of the tracks. The stink from there is unbelievable at times

While the overall concept looks very promising (high-density development at brownishfield site near upcoming LRT station), I am concerned that city keeps allowing such expensive and vulnerable developments on a floodplain.
The problem I see is threefold:
- it creates a new powerful constituency lobbying for unsustainable flood prevention solutions ("we need a higher dike protecting us, even though it will accentuate flooding elsewhere" etc)
- even if actual flooding never reaches these buildings, sewage/electricity outages due to flooding in the vicinity can suddenly make these buildings uninhabitable displacing a lot of people (in contrast closing an office tower is much less of a disruption)
- I can hardly imagine a condo board with enough expertise and discipline to properly budget and prepare for such risk

Looks good, let's hope Matco can act on this plan quicker than their Westbrook ones. This massing should be shown with the zoning approvals that Hungerford received for the large triangular parcel to the west of this plan:
site-plan-open-spaces-png.380800

1623449887290-png.327264

1623449847254-png.327263

Quite the changes coming for Inglewood.

While the overall concept looks very promising (high-density development at brownishfield site near upcoming LRT station), I am concerned that city keeps allowing such expensive and vulnerable developments on a floodplain.
- it creates a new powerful constituency lobbying for unsustainable flood prevention solutions ("we need a higher dike protecting us, even though it will accentuate flooding elsewhere" etc)
- even if actual flooding never reaches these buildings, sewage/electricity outages due to flooding in the vicinity can suddenly make these buildings uninhabitable displacing a lot of people (in contrast closing an office tower is much less of a disruption)
- I can hardly imagine a condo board with enough expertise and discipline to properly budget and prepare for such risk
All of Inglewood is in the flood plain, and this site in particular is in the lowest risk part of the flood plain. Flood Map

My biggest concern for this development is the proximity to the CPR line. The noise for the buildings that front directly onto the tracks will be quite loud, and the long term plan looks like condos there.

All of Inglewood is in the flood plain, and this site in particular is in the lowest risk part of the flood plain. Flood Map

My biggest concern for this development is the proximity to the CPR line. The noise for the buildings that front directly onto the tracks will be quite loud, and the long term plan looks like condos there.
Yeah a good portion of this site isn't in floodplain at all.

I live in a new building with bedroom window facing CPR tracks directly across the street. I will say that I don't love it, but it's not a deal breaker for us. Ear plugs FTW

Was much of Inglewood flooded during the last big flood? I thought it was only homes right along the river, but I could be mistaken. I believe the area over where this development is, was okay during the flood.

Yeah a good portion of this site isn't in floodplain at all.

While only part of the site is within 1 in 100 years regulatory floodplain (as it is defined at the moment), the area affected by flood normally extends beyond the limits of surface flooding. There is a groundwater table rise, though in case of [properly constructed] large buildings I would be more concerned with electricity/sewage service interruption.

Don't think many places in Inglewood lost power or sewage either, mostly just along the river IIRC. This is a great development and the tiny outside risk of flooding shouldn't derail it. As we have so much of our city positioned far worse relative to flooding, upstream protection is really the only answer.

Interestingly, it looks like the Inglewood CA is showing some initial support for this

CBC.ca: Major residential and mixed-use project envisioned for Inglewood's historic brewery land.
That's good, and so they should. There's no real downside to this other than the often perceived issue of traffic. It would increase traffic on 9th ave, but not enough to cause that big of an issue.

Accepting the density on the brewery lands also makes it easier for the CA to resist the density along the historical mainstreet on 9th that they've been fighting against for the last few years.
That's probably the play here. Push the density to be by the rail line and the transit station, rather than along 9th ave. Therefore you can't say that Ingelwood is not allowing for dense builds within the community, and can get more support from council when they oppose a project.

Back