Theres no chance they change their mind on retaining the existing building correct? That ship has sailed? It's a major mistake urbanistically, a waste of their best asset on the site, and a climate blunder, but I guess no use in losing sleep over it now. I only bring it up because it's all over Twitter today.

I'm pretty sure the city is still pushing for its retention.

Photo 2022-04-12, 10 53 41 AM.jpg

They should move the GO train yard to some other location. Or build a park on top of it as seen in the photo up above. Just imagine how much money can be generated. Just by building large scale buildings on it alone lol!

They should move the GO train yard to some other location. Or build a park on top of it as seen in the photo up above. Just imagine how much money can be generated. Just by building large scale buildings on it alone lol!
i remember the presentation for the rail deck district, they mentioned that they have the air rights to the entire corridor from bathurst over to the don valley.
itll happen, will take decades though.

as for the go yard, even with the eventual removal of the bathurst yard, im not sure there really is space around the GTA for that much train storage. GO expansion at least is expanding it.

Tall towers over the GO yard at this location would cut off most of the sunlight at Corktown Common Park.

Just sayin.

Do we know if there will be a PATH system running from the station through the commercial buildings? Also, going back through the renders, was the (plan(?)) for a mall-like space scrapped?

There has been some "chatter" about MTCC moving to East Harbour over the years. I'm not sure it will happen, but I think it has or will be considered. Or maybe a satellite version, sort of how we have Exhibition Place on the west.

I'm pretty sure the city is still pushing for its retention.
To their minimal (since they were also pushing for 100% commercial here)credit, Planning among others, were pushing for this. However, HPS never bothered to list or designate the building and it fell through. When the Province and IO stepped in and made this an MZO site, it sealed the deal.

When the Province and IO stepped in and made this an MZO site, it sealed the deal.
I'm sure this has been addressed earlier in the thread, but I'm guessing it's just cheaper and easier for the developer to demolish? I've heard talk of soil contamination, but that sounds like a weak reasoning given the massive carbon expenditure on demolishing and rebuilding.

Would any level of public pressure get them to reconsider? Or is this a lost cause?

Since the MZO is being used i would assume construction could start soon.

Not really.

Zoning in place is only one piece of the puzzle.

Aside from a great deal of remediation on site; there's a lot of prerequisite infrastructure. (Flood Protection Landform); plus Broadview Extension and East Harbour Station.

The latter can be built conterminously w/ whatever turns out to be Block 1; but you really don't want to start on a building and have it flood.

Infra may start next year; I'd be surprised to see building one start before 2024; though anything's possible.

Maybe an opportunity for a convention centre?
Yeah that and a sports and entertainment venue being close to East Harbour station hub and surrounding popular area etc ! Connecting the two places quickly with a bridge that could pass over the DVP beside the rail way over pass. As seen in the the photo up above.

I'm sure this has been addressed earlier in the thread, but I'm guessing it's just cheaper and easier for the developer to demolish? I've heard talk of soil contamination, but that sounds like a weak reasoning given the massive carbon expenditure on demolishing and rebuilding.

Would any level of public pressure get them to reconsider? Or is this a lost cause?

This city document is from November and it states there are still ongoing discussions about the existing buildings and integrating the industrial heritage into the new development.

I share similar feelings and think keeping the existing buildings would enhance the project. Hopefully something can be done.

Back