Its a nice addition and all, but with the level of development going on and planned for in this area, I'm not sure why they stopped at 3 storeys. Surely some additional community space could have been included here? Seems like a bit of a missed opportunity, though that seems to be the theme with this whole site.
Probably should have been much bigger although I bet the neighbors would have complained.

Its a nice addition and all, but with the level of development going on and planned for in this area, I'm not sure why they stopped at 3 storeys. Surely some additional community space could have been included here? Seems like a bit of a missed opportunity, though that seems to be the theme with this whole site.

I'm pretty sure you'd be hard pressed to find a Community Centre in Toronto that takes up more than 3 floors. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toronto_recreation_centres With that said:
- These Community Centres WERE funded often via pooling of Section 37 Community Benefit money from multiple redevelopment projects,... typically from 5, 10, 20+ condo towers with 2,000-5,000 units,...
- While Section 37 Community Benefit money can only be spent in the Ward where that redevelopment happened,.... when Community Centre is built in one part of the Ward - the opportunity cost is another part of the Ward won't get Community Centre or some other Section 37 Community Benefit facility! Like-wise, when building an even larger Community Centre here,... the opportunity cost is another part of the Ward would not see Section 37 Community Benefit facilities.
- Recently, Provincial Government eliminated Section 37 Community Benefit Developer Fee/Charges; new system of "Community Benefit Charge" can only gets about quarter to a third of what the previous "Section 37 Community Benefit" did
- So instead of previous 10-20+ condo towers,... now you'll need 30-80 condo towers to generate enough "Community Benefit Charges" money to build a decent Community Centre,... it'll take a lot longer to pool/save that amount of "Community Benefit Charges" money,... it'll take a lot of political will over multiple terms! Translation: With more entities fighting over fewer "Community Benefit Charges" money,... good luck getting another Community Centre built!

- So instead of previous 10-20+ condo towers,... now you'll need 30-80 condo towers to generate enough "Community Benefit Charges" money to build a decent Community Centre,... it'll take a lot longer to pool/save that amount of "Community Benefit Charges" money,... it'll take a lot of political will over multiple terms! Translation: With more entities fighting over fewer "Community Benefit Charges" money,... good luck getting another Community Centre built!
…which is why the City of Toronto is planning a 48% increase in the development charges per unit, so that the City still has the ability to build infrastructure.

…which is why the City of Toronto is planning a 48% increase in the development charges per unit, so that the City still has the ability to build infrastructure.

Imagine the if the City actually raised property taxes and paid for such things out the normal capital budget process like they used to.......

a 1% (Absolute) property tax increase across all classes, would raise ~50M per year; which is 500M over 10 years.

That's a lot of high quality recreation centres.

Of course, I would argue for more than 1% increase to address both the operating and capital needs of the City.

Screenshot_20221205-182416_Instagram.jpg

Imagine the if the City actually raised property taxes and paid for such things out the normal capital budget process like they used to.......

a 1% (Absolute) property tax increase across all classes, would raise ~50M per year; which is 500M over 10 years.

That's a lot of high quality recreation centres.

Of course, I would argue for more than 1% increase to address both the operating and capital needs of the City.

I agree in principle but to me development charges actually seem like a logical way to raise capital for such projects; Lots of new development in the area, have some capital for a new community center. Whereas property taxes (which I agree should increase, though only on the residential side) should fund the operational costs, which unlike the capital side, are never ending. If anything, where the city does a terrible job today I would argue is indeed the operational side (including things like maintenance), a new community center only stays shinny for so long before they deteriorate.

Back