News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

This sounds like good news for GO transit. I had already expected the average trip distance to increase as a result of people accepting further housing locations if they only head in to the office a couple days per week. So although the number of downtown commuting trips may decrease, the lengths of those trips would increase.

But if companies also consolidate offices downtown and have twice as many employees commuting half as often, the total number of trips may actually remain relatively unaffected. Producing a vast increase in passenger-km to/from downtown, which is good for GO given that ticket prices increase with distance.

does anyone know if the mp40s could be converted to electric? if not then this is very short-sighted
well considering it would take a couple years from award to production maybe this is the first of the electrics. or at least one that can be easily converted over.

well considering it would take a couple years from award to production maybe this is the first of the electrics. or at least one that can be easily converted over.
Dual-mode, or convertible to dual-mode would be good. GO will still need a larger number of diesel locomotives for the non-electrified portions of the network, but being able to run as electric through the central portions of the network would be a nice efficiency and fuel-saving measure.

does anyone know if the mp40s could be converted to electric? if not then this is very short-sighted
How long have the MP40 been Around???

You think spending an extra $8 mil per locomotive from then to X date when a duel power locomotive can be use would be worth it???

As far as I know and stand be corrected, the MP40 cannot be converted without huge cost if at all.

The power being tender will be duel power and should arrived around the time a line is electrify for them to be tested on before going into service.

The MP40’s started arriving in 2008ish. The benchmark for when a locomotive has no book value is generally 15 years. So there may ba a renew-or-replace decision looming. The MP40s may be in good shape, but a spreadsheet analysis of whether to buy new might be interesting, especially if Tier IV is desired, and considering fuel prices…….given the newer models that have emerged since then.

I believe that under the Oncorr deal, Ontario continues to own GO motive power. There may be a requirement or an opportunity to get a better deal under Oncorr if ML provides a brand new fleet, keeping Oncorr out of the rebuilding dilemma. Or financing it differently.

All just speculation.

- Paul

PS - It would be a lot cheaper to fix the St Marys bridge than to buy non-standard locos to tiptoe over it.

The OnCorr consortium is responsible for providing the locomotives, so I am pretty sure this is more diesels.

The MP40’s started arriving in 2008ish. The benchmark for when a locomotive has no book value is generally 15 years. So there may ba a renew-or-replace decision looming. The MP40s may be in good shape, but a spreadsheet analysis of whether to buy new might be interesting, especially if Tier IV is desired, and considering fuel prices…….given the newer models that have emerged since then.

I believe that under the Oncorr deal, Ontario continues to own GO motive power. There may be a requirement or an opportunity to get a better deal under Oncorr if ML provides a brand new fleet, keeping Oncorr out of the rebuilding dilemma. Or financing it differently.

All just speculation.

- Paul

PS - It would be a lot cheaper to fix the St Marys bridge than to buy non-standard locos to tiptoe over it.
But maybe it's not up to them to fix the bridge since they don't own it. It would be up to the host railway, and if they give you some unreasonable cost to replace it then, what can you do. It's not something you can control.

But maybe it's not up to them to fix the bridge since they don't own it. It would be up to the host railway, and if they give you some unreasonable cost to replace it then, what can you do. It's not something you can control.
I would not be surprised in the slightest if Metrolinx outright buys the CN portion of the Guelph Sub between Kitchener and London in the next few years. Old VIA annual reports indicate that CN is amenable to the idea of selling it. Really, it would be a win for CN, as they’d get vastly improved track, not have to pay property tax, and still be able to run locals on it (with likely favourable terms written into the sale deal).

I would not be surprised in the slightest if Metrolinx outright buys the CN portion of the Guelph Sub between Kitchener and London in the next few years. Old VIA annual reports indicate that CN is amenable to the idea of selling it. Really, it would be a win for CN, as they’d get vastly improved track, not have to pay property tax, and still be able to run locals on it (with likely favourable terms written into the sale deal).

I'd like to see it be a purchase by both VIA and Metrolinx (although I dont know the logistics of those two organizations working together) VIA benefits too and should pay into the purchase and upgrades of the track as well.

Although another option is just to remove VIA entirely from the line, and only operate them on the CN mainline to the south.

However the issue with that is that I think the GEXR sub would be a great way to get dedicated HFR with Via in the south of Ontario. Perhaps VIA would only operate on the line as an express/high speed service, with stops at London, Kitchener and Guelph only.

I'd like to see it be a purchase by both VIA and Metrolinx (although I dont know the logistics of those two organizations working together) VIA benefits too and should pay into the purchase and upgrades of the track as well.

Although another option is just to remove VIA entirely from the line, and only operate them on the CN mainline to the south.

However the issue with that is that I think the GEXR sub would be a great way to get dedicated HFR with Via in the south of Ontario. Perhaps VIA would only operate on the line as an express/high speed service, with stops at London, Kitchener and Guelph only.
it would be in passenger rails interests if via and ml both have ownership of the track especially via. They need to move as much passenger rail onto its own trackage so that the CN/CP
mafia cant dictate its operational schedule and reliability

My ideal scenario is that GO runs the bulk of the service on the Guelph Sub, with VIA focusing on the southern route. I wouldn’t get rid of all VIA service however. A few Windsor-Kitchener-Toronto and London-Kitchener-Ottawa VIA runs would be great for connecting the southwest to the rest of the province.

Back