AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
I believe the general read of things is that the odds are stacked against this happening, but fwiw it's supposedly an "active" project in Hamilton. And plus it's always fun to have a Harry Stinson project thread around.

Article from January 2021:

Developer pledges condos at Cannon Knitting Mills will be done in next 3 years

Coun. Jason Farr and some locals are skeptical, but Harry Stinson says he will build, not sell

Jan 18, 2021

After more than a decade of uncertainty, the Cannon Knitting Mills will become condos within three years, says the developer who has owned the property since 2016.

But at least one resident, and Coun. Jason Farr (Ward 2), say progress hasn't been fast enough. They also believe the developer has been sitting on the Mary Street property in Beasley and waiting for its value to grow.

Developer Harry Stinson says those comments infuriate him. He's been working "12 hours a day" since he bought the property, he says, and soon, the historic collection of buildings will have people living in them.

"I'm not LiUNA, I'm not the hospitals, I'm no deep-pocketed, third generation, Toronto family," he said of the struggle to finance it.

But "this is a multi-million dollar investment, so I'll see it through and get it done."

beasley.jpg
beasley2.png
beasley3.jpg
beasley4.jpg

A more recent article from July 2021:

Condo plan for Hamilton knitting mills going ahead, Stinson says

July 10, 2021

Developer Harry Stinson says a revised plan to transform a derelict Hamilton industrial landmark into condominiums is moving ahead.

“We’ve alive and well,” he said, noting the Beasley Park Lofts could be ready for occupancy in 2024.

When Stinson bought the Cannon Knitting Mills property for $3 million in 2016, he announced plans for a six-storey condo redevelopment that also included retail space and a hotel.

Two years later, he switched gears, aiming for a 20-storey tower as the centrepiece of the repurposed industrial buildings at Cannon and Mary streets that date to 1854.

Stinson now says he’s shooting for something higher with other developers aiming for 30 storeys and up under the city’s updated downtown secondary plan.

“There is much more acceptance of larger, taller buildings, of density, in downtown than there was five years ago, and this is something that a developer would hope would happen.”

Coun. Jason Farr, meanwhile, is “frustrated” with the pace of Stinson’s project after years of anticipation.

“It’s upsetting to me to see the stagnation of such a great opportunity site,” the Ward 2 councillor said. “And I can tell you that I’m not alone.”

The Beasley Park Lofts is just one of dozens of highrise developments planned or under construction in and around downtown Hamilton.

The “original piece of architecture” next to a “rejuvenated” Beasley Park makes it a “coveted” piece of real estate, Farr said.

“There’s a lot of people who would have loved to have seen something happen a few years ago.”

John Neary, who lives across from the hulking, old, brick complex, is one of them.

Amid a housing crisis, opportunities to increase the supply of units in Hamilton are crucial, he said.

But Neary noted he’s “skeptical” the knitting mills redevelopment will come to fruition soon.

The city should “use every lever in their tool box” to discourage property owners from sitting on vacant land, he said.

“They should aggressively be pursuing a punitive vacancy tax as hard as they can.”

Stinson says a project of Beasley Park Lofts scale takes about 10 years, noting hurdles for financing, environmental work, and more recently, the COVID-19 pandemic.

As well, developers buy property “in anticipation that there will be more potential in the future,” he added.

“So I don’t think anybody should be surprised that we didn’t buy the land and erect a building the next morning.”

In addition to 450 residential units, the plan includes 150 small commercial and retail spaces at the ground floor.

Those business spaces “just flew off the shelf,” while between 85 per cent and 90 per cent of the condos are sold, Stinson said.

Developer Harry Stinson says a revised plan to transform a derelict Hamilton industrial landmark into condominiums is moving ahead.

“We’ve alive and well,” he said, noting the Beasley Park Lofts could be ready for occupancy in 2024.

When Stinson bought the Cannon Knitting Mills property for $3 million in 2016, he announced plans for a six-storey condo redevelopment that also included retail space and a hotel.

Two years later, he switched gears, aiming for a 20-storey tower as the centrepiece of the repurposed industrial buildings at Cannon and Mary streets that date to 1854.

Stinson now says he’s shooting for something higher with other developers aiming for 30 storeys and up under the city’s updated downtown secondary plan.

“There is much more acceptance of larger, taller buildings, of density, in downtown than there was five years ago, and this is something that a developer would hope would happen.”

Coun. Jason Farr, meanwhile, is “frustrated” with the pace of Stinson’s project after years of anticipation.

“It’s upsetting to me to see the stagnation of such a great opportunity site,” the Ward 2 councillor said. “And I can tell you that I’m not alone.”

The Beasley Park Lofts is just one of dozens of highrise developments planned or under construction in and around downtown Hamilton.

The “original piece of architecture” next to a “rejuvenated” Beasley Park makes it a “coveted” piece of real estate, Farr said.

“There’s a lot of people who would have loved to have seen something happen a few years ago.”

John Neary, who lives across from the hulking, old, brick complex, is one of them.

Amid a housing crisis, opportunities to increase the supply of units in Hamilton are crucial, he said.

But Neary noted he’s “skeptical” the knitting mills redevelopment will come to fruition soon.

The city should “use every lever in their tool box” to discourage property owners from sitting on vacant land, he said.

“They should aggressively be pursuing a punitive vacancy tax as hard as they can.”

Stinson says a project of Beasley Park Lofts scale takes about 10 years, noting hurdles for financing, environmental work, and more recently, the COVID-19 pandemic.

As well, developers buy property “in anticipation that there will be more potential in the future,” he added.

“So I don’t think anybody should be surprised that we didn’t buy the land and erect a building the next morning.”

In addition to 450 residential units, the plan includes 150 small commercial and retail spaces at the ground floor.

Those business spaces “just flew off the shelf,” while between 85 per cent and 90 per cent of the condos are sold, Stinson said.

beaz.jpg

Developer Harry Stinson says Hamilton projects continue despite accusations he broke provincial securities law

March 9, 2022

Photo from article:

harry.jpg

Photo from article:

Cannon-Knitting-Mill-1536x1024.jpg

As an owner from day 1 in One King West, I can tell you that he is an interesting guy with great vision but pockets too shallow to deliver. He is constantly under-financed. We went through a lot of struggles in the early days at One King, but in the end the building is a great success for its owners (now that we own and run all of it).

I’m curious about the recent developments with interest rate hikes and labour shortages and their affect on the viability of this project. It can’t be positive. (Full disclosure: I bought into this project years ago)

There’s no denying it’d be a great project to see get built, though. Start the reinvigoration of the north end, great reuse of heritage buildings, the list could go on and on.

There’s no denying it’d be a great project to see get built, though. Start the reinvigoration of the north end, great reuse of heritage buildings, the list could go on and on.
No questioning these points, but working against this project are three key factors. They are ( in the spirit of the three most important consideration for real estate purchases):

1. Harry Stinson
2. Harry Stinson
3. Harry Stinson

No questioning these points, but working against this project are three key factors. They are ( in the spirit of the three most important consideration for real estate purchases):

1. Harry Stinson
2. Harry Stinson
3. Harry Stinson
Ouch. I had a friend who bought into One King West decades ago and it was a hell of ride but you know when his projects do finish, they are impressive. Everyone talks about CeeDee Factory Lofts but the job he did at Roncesvalles was immaculate. I rented there a long time ago and was impressed by the clever design and how it made outdoor living possible indoors. But seriously, I am not getting a lot of communication outside of a couple videos and the odd email every now and then about delays. This project was initially rolled out in 2016 and now completion is supposed to be mid 2026. Would those who’ve dealt with his projects in the past say ten years is standard for him or did I just a buy a bridge in the Everglades?

1. Harry Stinson
2. Harry Stinson
3. Harry Stinson
Youd think by now he’d be able to rest on his laurels and sort out financing his projects. I’m a local, but I’m young so I don’t really get what his challenges have been. I understand he has a dedicated thread, but projects like these seem to be the best thing in the area *when their first proposed*- what is his issue?? Do banks just not want to lend to this guy anymore after his blunders?

Back