News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Now I'm curious, is there a prescribed distance from the subject site that this encompasses in regards to a landowner/leaser nearby?

SDAB policy says:

“Affected person” is not defined in the Municipal Government Act. The Board determines affected persons on a case-by-case basis. For example, an affected person could be someone who feels the enjoyment, use or value of their property may be affected by the proposed development. The onus is on the person to show they are affected by the development.

SDAB policy says:

“Affected person” is not defined in the Municipal Government Act. The Board determines affected persons on a case-by-case basis. For example, an affected person could be someone who feels the enjoyment, use or value of their property may be affected by the proposed development. The onus is on the person to show they are affected by the development.
So you're saying if I periodically take the C-Train north through Sunnyside, or just go to Sunnyside and this building would bring me joy, I can be an affected person?

Capitol Hill townhome infill
216BF287-00BD-47A8-A02F-05A3BC8BD826.jpeg

Infill being built along side Confed Park
0DD3A186-09B0-48EA-827D-CB65EFF7C134.jpeg

Capitol Hill townhome infill
View attachment 397740

Infill being built along side Confed Park
View attachment 397741
I live pretty close to the first one you posted and really love seeing those kinds of development in the area. That one alone will have 26 units when it's all said and done, which is some pretty serious density for a 2 story development. I'm convinced that it's these type of missing middle developments that will actually add significant density to neighborhoods as opposed to mid-rise apartment buildings.

In Banff Trail alone (where that first picture is from) there have been close to a dozen of these type of row houses build in recent years with more on the way! Give it ten or fifteen years and this area could start having density levels comparable to South Calgary or Mardaloop!

I rode around a few of the streets in Capitol hill and was amazed at how many duplexes, or small rowhome projects are under construction. It'll be interesting to see the population changes of Capitol hill over the next few years.
Northhill and the Centre North (Banff Trail, Capitol Hill, Mt Pleasant, Tuxedo Park, etc.) of the city seems to have a lot of ground-oriented infill that has gone on, its pretty surprising actually.

They wouldn’t be an inner city community association if they didn’t automatically oppose everything lol
Email from the MLCA Director of Planning + Development on LOC2021-0129 (1734 & 1737 36th Ave SE):

“Hi Neighbors,

With your help and support, Calgary City Council heard us loud and clear today.

We won our opposition today against a developer’s proposal to up zone two side-by-side lots with bungalows through Direct Control District zoning to 22 units.

The two homes are located at 1734 and 1737 36th Ave S.W. (LOC2021-0129).

Julie Shepard and I (Brett Pearce) both appeared in person at Council Chambers and presented a slide deck that is now available @ www.mardaloopdevelopment.com

This is a tremendous victory for our community, and we couldn’t have done it without you.

Thank you for your continued support. We are stronger together.”

Email from the MLCA Director of Planning + Development on LOC2021-0129 (1734 & 1737 36th Ave SE):

“Hi Neighbors,

With your help and support, Calgary City Council heard us loud and clear today.

We won our opposition today against a developer’s proposal to up zone two side-by-side lots with bungalows through Direct Control District zoning to 22 units.

The two homes are located at 1734 and 1737 36th Ave S.W. (LOC2021-0129).

Julie Shepard and I (Brett Pearce) both appeared in person at Council Chambers and presented a slide deck that is now available @ www.mardaloopdevelopment.com

This is a tremendous victory for our community, and we couldn’t have done it without you.

Thank you for your continued support. We are stronger together.”
As a resident of the area, this does not represent my opinion of this development. This is a perfect spot for this type of development. Just because Marlo can't sell (so far) does not mean this will also fail. That site, although just to the east is very different! For one, across the street from Marlo is a very unorganized mechanics shop... I mean look at this place:
Stevo.JPG

To the east of Marlo across 16 street are 1950's era walk up apartments. I'm all for a mix of properties from different eras and sizes because it allows people of different incomes to be in one area but I do think these two factors hurt the development and its sales.

Meanwhile this proposal was on a very desirable corner just up the street and would share that intersection with multi-family developments. So sure, 36 Ave isn't a main street but I still think its well suited to this type of development. I mean its a block from marda loop brewery and two blocks from those great quaint little shops mentioned in the Urban development thread. Also the griping about waste removal is such a weird sticking point... to each their own I guess. I think they're just bothered it wasn't proposed to be a duplex worth multi-millions each. And saying it isn't close to transit, give me a break... its 2-3 blocks away from transit.

Last edited:
As a resident of the area, this does not represent my opinion of this development. This is a perfect spot for this type of development. Just because Marlo can't sell (so far) does not mean this will also fail. That site, although just to the east is very different! For one, across the street from Marlo is a very unorganized mechanics shop... I mean look at this place:
View attachment 399887
To the east of Marlo across 16 street are 1950's era walk up apartments. I'm all for a mix of properties from different eras and sizes because it allows people of different incomes to be in one area but I do think these two factors hurt the development and its sales.

Meanwhile this proposal was on a very desirable corner just up the street and would share that intersection with multi-family developments. So sure, 36 Ave isn't a main street but I still this is well suited to this type of development. I mean its a block from marda loop brewery and two blocks from those great quaint little shops mentioned in the Urban development thread. Also the griping about waste removal is such a weird sticking point... to each their own I guess. I think they're just bothered is wasn't proposed to be a duplex worth multi-millions each. And saying it isn't close to transit, give me a break... its 2-3 blocks away from transit.
Totally agree!

Also, that mechanic shop is brutal! I’m all for successful small businesses, but they take up a disproportionate amount of street parking and always have parts strewn across the sidewalk. The neighbourhood has outgrown this operation.

Back