News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

As for Pearson, it has the worst arrivals situation of any airport I have ever been to.
If it was worse than the arrivals at international terminal in Mumbai in the 1990s I'd be shocked. And that's before you take into account the transfer back then from the international terminal to the domestic terminal!

I still say Frankfurt is one of the worst Airports in terms of connections. I purposefully avoid it when I fly to Hungary.
Really?! I have been to Frankfurt heaps of times (there again on Thursday) and find it extremely well organised and easy to navigate. Every airport has its own logic, style of signage etc and it may take some getting used to. Frankfurt also has many employees with iPads near the gates and in the terminals giving people directions to their connections etc and answering other questions. As an EU citizen, I greatly appreciate the electronic passport controls which expedite my arrival and completely eliminate the need for customs.

Pearson has improved by A LOT in the last few years, at least at T1. It used to be so painful connecting there when you were arriving from another country and flying onto another canadian city. I used to avoid it at all costs because it was much easier to connect in a US airport and clear customs directly at YUL. It's much easier now, thank you Toronto friends :)

Nothing Pearson can do about it, but US customs at YYZ are also notoriously horrible when it comes to visa requests. My firm had special procedures in place for Toronto people who need a work visa in the US (advising them to fly porter and request their visa at a US airport because the refusal rate at YYZ was way higher than any other airport in Canada).

My complaints about Pearson are it's like ages from the plane to customs at least when coming from the US.

We came in a flight last month, very late, around midnight, several hours late (departing airport's problems) and it was a long time to walk from the plane and the first and only washroom was right at customs.

It's got nothing like the hell that is Newark.
Or MCO which was the whole reason of the delay that day.

My complaints about Pearson are it's like ages from the plane to customs at least when coming from the US.

We came in a flight last month, very late, around midnight, several hours late (departing airport's problems) and it was a long time to walk from the plane and the first and only washroom was right at customs.

It's got nothing like the hell that is Newark.
Or MCO which was the whole reason of the delay that day.

Jeez. When I went to London UK via Air Transat in 2017 I was departing Terminal 3 at Gate B5.

That was one hell of a walk from check-in to my gate.

Reactions: JBR
I agree arrivals is one thing passenger flow wise that I'll criticize at Pearson. Though I don't have much experience at other airports to compare.

Deboard, go up stairs to the lounge areas. Walk the long pathway to the terminal, down two flights of stairs to the customs hall, etc, etc. I'm sure they had a reason why but wouldn't have been easier to have arrivals go down rather than up then down down...

I agree arrivals is one thing passenger flow wise that I'll criticize at Pearson. Though I don't have much experience at other airports to compare.

Deboard, go up stairs to the lounge areas. Walk the long pathway to the terminal, down two flights of stairs to the customs hall, etc, etc. I'm sure they had a reason why but wouldn't have been easier to have arrivals go down rather than up then down down...
You're actually going up to the transit level - not the lounge area since internationally arriving passengers must be separated from departing passengers for customs/immigration purposes. The design is to go up since underneath the lounges are baggage sortation rooms and operations/crew rooms. The old Terminal did have passengers go down since it was a bastardized setup since bridges were never part of the original design and were fitted after the terminal was activated.

Reactions: AHK

I understand people are frustrated by the hellish conditions at Pearson, but the poor workers are just doing their jobs. Most of these passengers are going on vacations, that the workers can only dream about it. I would think any time off requests from the workers are automatically denied due to the shortage of staff.

Pearson airport is basically the Toronto Maple leafs of airports, they know they suck but as long people keep giving them money, nothing will change!

Pearson airport is basically the Toronto Maple leafs of airports, they know they suck but as long people keep giving them money, nothing will change!

The problem won’t be resolved by giving them less money considering it stems from difficulties in hiring staff - less money just meant even less competitive wages.

AoD

People need to stop posting things from blogto as it is utter sensationalism and largely click bait.

We're still in the middle of a pandemic in 2022 and if you try to run a 2019 operation without 2019 staffing things will go sideways.

I was in that industry for more than a decade and spent more than four years in staff and resource planning. This is nothing new particularly this time of year as staffing is ramped up from spring shoulder to prepare for summer peak.

The problem won’t be resolved by giving them less money considering it stems from difficulties in hiring staff - less money just meant even less competitive wages.

AoD

My friend works at Pearson, he said staffing recruitment and retention issues existed long before COVID. They complained about it , but it falls on deaf ears up the management chain. 🤷‍♂️

Back