News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

At least Horwath is doing the right thing. I honestly thought she might try to use the whole "Official Opposition Leader Twice in a Row!" status as a specious justification for hanging on as leader of her party. Of course, I'm getting a little ahead of myself, seeing as the votes haven't been fully tallied yet. But it's not looking good for the Liberals.

As for Del Duca: Haw!

Unfortunately, Ford is still Premiere...and he really shouldn't be. Can the Ontario electorate get together and sue the Liberals for deliberate political malpractice?

It doesn't matter! 4 elections are 4 elections.

It was time for her to go.
I'm not arguing it *wasn't* time for her to go. But she actually went out on an "up" kind of down note, all things considered.

And I view electoral politics in more dynamic terms than simply winning or losing elections. I mean, poring over past polling maps here is like getting an electoral lay of the land...

Looks like the NDP’s Jill Andrew is gonna eke out a win over Nathan Stall, the star Liberal candidate, in Toronto-St. Paul’s. I was certain that was a Liberal pick up.

I could see Andrew and Wong Tam being contenders for the upcoming NDP leadership race.

People in Brampton electing the PCs is a big time lol. One of the lowest income suburbs in the GTA, voting for a party that won't do a single thing to help low income individuals.

Well, my riding is once again a bellwether and went to the party that formed government.

A few observations thus far:

- NDP doing better in Toronto than I expected, and the Liberals doing worse.
- PCs are massively popular in the ethnoburbs, no contest.
- The few likely LPO gains seem to be mostly wealthier, whiter and more educated ridings.
- LPO needs to rebuild and get a completely new fresh face. Even more so than the NDP, although not as urgently.
I was just thinking about this. It almost seems like the LPO has now become the party of wealthy white voters. While the PC have found a formula in tapping into traditional cultural family and business values that non-white voters embrace. It's disappointing but regressive cultural ties do place a fair amount of emphasis amongst ethnic groups (eg. religion, anti-LGBTQ, anti-social programs). I personally know off hand that Asians were highly against Kathleen Wynne just for her sexuality and pushing an updated sex-ed curriculum when one listens on conversations beyond media. It's probably a 3rd Rail topic but it would be quite fascinating if there was a study on voting patterns associated with ethnic populations and outside of the 416.

Perhaps it’s time for the provincial Liberals to dissolve. The right side of the party (people like Pupatello) could join the PCs (which, to be fair, are quite independent of the federal Conservatives) and the left side (people like Wynne) would merge with the provincial NDP.

The provincial NDP, for its part, should be independent of the federal party.

This would be more in line with Western provinces, where the NDP and a version of the Conservatives are competitive, or BC, where the BC Liberals are a merger of right Liberals and the old Social Credit Party.

I was just thinking about this. It almost seems like the LPO has now become the party of wealthy white voters.

Not so sure about that. University-Rosedale (NDP) and Eglinton-Lawrence (PCPO) are both whiter and more well off than say, Don Valley East (LPO).

Perhaps it’s time for the provincial Liberals to dissolve. The right side of the party (people like Pupatello) could join the PCs (which, to be fair, are quite independent of the federal Conservatives) and the left side (people like Wynne) would merge with the provincial NDP.

This would be more in line with Western provinces, where the NDP and a version of the Conservatives are competitive, or BC, where the BC Liberals are a merger of right Liberals and the old Social Credit Party.
I'm not so convinced. Not many besides Ford can effectively hold that coalition together. His 'aw shucks folks' routine would not pass muster for many centrists. The Randy Hillier brigade is also quietly stewing over the freespending ways of this government.

People similarly wrote off the Federal Liberals before Trudeau returned them to power.

My main reservation about this is the inverse of my reservation about calls from the other end for the Libs and NDP to merge, i.e. strict binaries are "dumb" and un-dynamic. Maybe it's more that the OLP should accept its potential fate as an Ontario version of the UK's Lib Dems, rather than constantly huffing and puffing like it's entitled to Official Opposition status...

Back