From cherry beach.
Thinking a monkey might've thrown a bone up in the air on this spot a few thousand years ago. ;)
20220422_134457.jpg
20220422_134452.jpg

Canada Goose have leased 113,000 sq ft of office space and will occupy 4 floors within this building (19th to 22nd). They're expected to move in here in 2023:

What are the street treatments on Cooper St going to be?
Trees, benches, bike racks, gardens? Any details out there, updates on timing etc?

I was in the LCBO store recently and the cashier asked me to login and complete a customer experience survey. She is a lovely friendly long time acquaintance, since we’ve lived in the area 14 years, and she had a few customer encounters that weren’t pleasant. They were upset with the lack of bike racks and places to lock them when they are in the store. We concluded some of the vocal folks might be from the island. In any case the sidewalk is half pavers and half asphalt. We thought the asphalt must be temporary. But what is the final design? Hopefully a shrub and flower garden where the asphalt is. I’m thinking like the sidewalk design at Monde, but not sure.

Anyone have any details to share?

What are the street treatments on Cooper St going to be?
Trees, benches, bike racks, gardens? Any details out there, updates on timing etc?

I was in the LCBO store recently and the cashier asked me to login and complete a customer experience survey. She is a lovely friendly long time acquaintance, since we’ve lived in the area 14 years, and she had a few customer encounters that weren’t pleasant. They were upset with the lack of bike racks and places to lock them when they are in the store. We concluded some of the vocal folks might be from the island. In any case the sidewalk is half pavers and half asphalt. We thought the asphalt must be temporary. But what is the final design? Hopefully a shrub and flower garden where the asphalt is. I’m thinking like the sidewalk design at Monde, but not sure.

Anyone have any details to share?
Clearly Cooper Street is not finished yet and will probably not be until the west side of the street is built. If people want bike racks on City property they should email 311 but I doubt they (or WT) will install any until the area is more finished, if they think LCBO should install racks (if they own any land) they should talk to LCBO.

More details on Canada Goose relocating their headquarters here,:

From the article:

- 4 floors for Canada Goose
- This tower is now 92% leased
- Canada Goose will get co-branding rights w/LCBO (exterior signage atop the tower)

I noticed today that they have started to finish off the east sidewalk of Cooper St, outside LCBO. Looks like a tree trench running along most of the half of the sidewalk nearest the curb. They put granite blocks on the LCBO side of the east sidewalk last year.

EDIT: Here's a quick snap!

IMG_0871[1].JPG

Last edited:
DEDICATION OF NEW STREET NAME:

Date:
Tuesday July 26th at 1pm

Location: 100 Queens Quay E., located in future retail space facing Downes Street.

Signage to be posted, entrance off Downes Street or through drop off area located adjacent to the LCBO at-grade parking.

Please see location map.

Parking Instructions: Parking entrance located off Cooper Street or New Street. Please proceed to P1 or P2.

A Parking Voucher will be provided at the ceremony.

Naming supported by the Ontario Black History Society.

1658789553076.png

DEDICATION OF NEW STREET NAME:

Date:
Tuesday July 26th at 1pm

Location: 100 Queens Quay E., located in future retail space facing Downes Street.

Signage to be posted, entrance off Downes Street or through drop off area located adjacent to the LCBO at-grade parking.

Please see location map.

Parking Instructions: Parking entrance located off Cooper Street or New Street. Please proceed to P1 or P2.

A Parking Voucher will be provided at the ceremony.

Naming supported by the Ontario Black History Society.

View attachment 415930
I was not sure who Downes was. This from Joe Mihevc's Ward 10 newsletter:

Honouring the Downes Family with a new street in the Lower Yonge Precinct

It was my pleasure on Tuesday to host a street-naming ceremony recognizing the history and contribution of the Downes family to Toronto, alongside representatives from Menkes, the Ontario Black History Society, Dr. Sheldon Taylor, and many community members.
Our special guest in attendance at the ceremony, Arthur Downes, was born in Toronto in 1927 and is a retired Justice of the Peace with a vast history of being heavily involved with community development and sustainability. Mr. Downes is the recipient of numerous awards including the 2020 Lifetime Achievement Award from the Black History Society.
Toronto is one of the most diverse cities in the world but our commemorations do not fully reflect Toronto’s rich histories, culture, and diversity. It is important and necessary to keep working to ensure that our urban landscape reflects the diversity of residents and a more authentic account of Toronto’s history – especially the contributions of Indigenous Peoples, Black communities, and equity-deserving groups.

Back