In June 2015, Waterfront Toronto reopened the revitalized Queens Quay West. Since then, we have continued to observe pedestrians, cyclists and vehicle traffic on the street and have also received feedback from members of the public. Through this feedback certain improvements to the public realm and optimizations of Queens Quay West have been identified.

In March 2022, Waterfront Toronto began undertaking this work, starting with intersection improvements – at Queens Quay West and Bay Street, and Queens Quay West and Lower Simcoe Street – to provide clearer separation between pedestrian and cycling crossings.

On May 24, construction manager, UCC Group began construction on the northeast corner curb realignment at Queens Quay West and Bay Street. This will prevent buses and large trucks from mounting the curb when turning north onto Bay Street. This portion of the construction is expected to take ten days to complete.

While the curb realignment on the northeast corner of Queens Quay West and Bay Street is being completed, the westbound right-turning lane – to turn right (north) from Queens Quay West onto Bay Street – will be closed. Vehicle traffic will be merged into the center lane. Right turns onto Bay Street will be allowed from the center lane. Road users should expect reduced speeds on Queens Quay West while traveling westbound towards Bay Street.

Pedestrians travelling through the area should follow sidewalk closure and detour signs posted on site. The pedestrian crossing between the northeast and southeast corners of Queens Quay West and Bay Street will be closed. All pedestrians should cross on the west side of the intersection.

Some quick cell shots of improved landscaping between streetcar lane and cycle tracks.

PXL_20220610_174407351.jpg
PXL_20220610_174408909.jpg

In June 2015, Waterfront Toronto reopened the revitalized Queens Quay West. Since then, we have continued to observe pedestrians, cyclists and vehicle traffic on the street and have also received feedback from members of the public. Through this feedback certain improvements to the public realm and optimizations of Queens Quay West have been identified.

In March 2022, Waterfront Toronto began undertaking this work, starting with intersection improvements – at Queens Quay West and Bay Street, and Queens Quay West and Lower Simcoe Street – to provide clearer separation between pedestrian and cycling crossings.

Construction manager, UCC Group, has begun sidewalk maintenance on the north and south sides of the Queens Quay public promenade between York Street and Lower Simcoe Street, and near Robertson Crescent at the Simcoe WaveDeck. The paver settlement issue is being resolved and the granite pavers will be put back in place. This portion of the construction is expected to be completed by the end of June 2022.

While sidewalk maintenance on the Queens Quay public promenade is being completed, construction fencing will be installed around work sites. Sidewalk maintenance on any one portion of the sidewalk is expected to take between approximately 1 to 3 days to complete. As maintenance is completed, construction crews will move fencing and start sidewalk maintenance on a new portion of the promenade. All sidewalk maintenance is expected to be completed by the end of June 2022.

Pedestrians travelling through the area will be able to travel around work sites with minimal disruption to their route and should follow sidewalk detour signs posted on site.

Work is expected to be completed by the end of June 2022. Waterfront Toronto will continue to provide construction updates as work progresses.

Kind regards,

Waterfront Toronto

they should have done something like that in the first place hopefully whenever they build more of it they will remember to fix that mistake.
Personally, I am not sure their new set up will work any better but I applaud them trying different ways to solve problems. WT are a much more flexible organisation than most City department's so I am sure they will continue to evaluate, compare and improve.

Personally, I am not sure their new set up will work any better but I applaud them trying different ways to solve problems. WT are a much more flexible organisation than most City department's so I am sure they will continue to evaluate, compare and improve.
It is much better in person.
Especially the part the separates streetcar tracks from the bike lane. Having plants there will create visual and physical separation preventing people wondering onto streetcar tracks.

It is much better in person.
Especially the part the separates streetcar tracks from the bike lane. Having plants there will create visual and physical separation preventing people wondering onto streetcar tracks.
Yes, I saw it and it may work, though one sees lots of places where people make their own pathways, even if there are plants in the way. It will certainly discourage the unaware wanderers, not sure others wanting a direct route from A to B will respond as well. We shall see, and WT have shown they are ready to tweak.

I'm still gutted that the grass tracks were dropped - given I think that would help with a lot of the pedestrian and vehicle intrusion issues!
Agreed. Putting bushes between the trail and the tracks would greatly reduce pedestrians, and making the tracks run through grass would stop the drivers.

I'm still gutted that the grass tracks were dropped - given I think that would help with a lot of the pedestrian and vehicle intrusion issues!
At least they seem to still be planning grass tracks for the eastern waterfront. Hopefully in the future when the tracks need to replaced here they can add grass at that time (even if that's sadly a long time from now)

Back