DJI_0191.JPG
DJI_0193.JPG
DJI_0196.JPG
DJI_0201.JPG
DJI_0205.JPG
DJI_0213.JPG
DJI_0214.JPG

Video

And another photo since I somehow managed to forget to post an image of the maintenance barn. I'll also post a few more images in my dedicated photo thread listed in my sig.
DJI_0200.JPG

This is such a gross misuse of valuable land.

If the storage yards et all were built in a way where developers could’ve decked over them and built above them (a la Hudson Yards, NYC) to create a mixed-use neighbourhood. It would have been the most transit-connected neighbourhood in Toronto.

A large commuter parking lot here would’ve been an excellent way to eliminate car trips in the urban core.

If the storage yards et all were built in a way where developers could’ve decked over them and built above them (a la Hudson Yards, NYC) to create a mixed-use neighbourhood. It would have been the most transit-connected neighbourhood in Toronto.

A large commuter parking lot here would’ve been an excellent way to eliminate car trips in the urban core.
I think a large commuter parking lot would have been a gross misuse of valuable land at Mt. Dennis. In fact, none of the stations would not be adding any horseless carriage parking. They may relocate some parking spaces, though.

Four new stations being built for the Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail transit facility will include bicycle parking stations: Mount Dennis, Cedarvale (Eglinton West), Science Centre (Don Mills), and Kennedy Stations.

Looking at the image of the Mt. Dennis Maintenance and Storage Facility, there is space for the supports for additions for development over the outdoor yard. If a developer is interested in doing so, instead of in the Greenbelt, all they have to do is ask.

Last edited:

While I’m not keen on the parking lot idea, I agree that it seems backwards to build these sprawling single-use facilities in the middle of a city. This entire facility could have been built underground with a neighbourhood on top.

And they could have built neighbourhoods above all the stations as well. Poor planning.
Across the street from Mt. Dennis...

25 Photography: proposed 49, 39, 38, 32, 28, 25, 20-storey mixed-use residential buildings. See link.

45943-136348.jpg
45943-136347.jpg
45943-136349.jpg

And next door to Mt. Dennis Station, at 15 Hollis. See link.

A proposed 45-storey condominium building...
45655-145665.jpeg

45655-135325.jpeg

Drawing a development over the Mt. Dennis Maintenance & Storage Facility would take longer than doodling with crayons on a paper napkin.

Last edited:
While I’m not keen on the parking lot idea, I agree that it seems backwards to build these sprawling single-use facilities in the middle of a city. This entire facility could have been built underground with a neighbourhood on top.
i agree with you; my suggestion of a commuter parking is far from ideal. parking garages can be built as interim solutions until our public transit network can grow substantially enough to deem the parking unnecessary. the garage, if designed properly from the get-go, can then be converted in to office space, a grocery store, etc. down the line. the apple HQ in Cupertino has a similar building. it is a parking garage now but the building has been designed to become future office space, once public transit in the area improves and car trips are greatly reduced.

i agree with you; my suggestion of a commuter parking is far from ideal. parking garages can be built as interim solutions until our public transit network can grow substantially enough to deem the parking unnecessary. the garage, if designed properly from the get-go, can then be converted in to office space, a grocery store, etc. down the line. the apple HQ in Cupertino has a similar building. it is a parking garage now but the building has been designed to become future office space, once public transit in the area improves and car trips are greatly reduced.
I think you've got a great idea. Parking garage on the Metrolinx owned plot along Black Creek, with the entrance off Todd Baylis. Catch people who are headed for downtown, just roll off the 400 or the 401 and you're 15-20 minutes from Union and probably 10 ish from Line 1. In the future maybe you have a grocery store at ground level with a handful of parking spaces left for the store, and offices above.

I think we've been through that experiment to an extent with the Sheppard subway; where the idea was to get commuters to get off the 404 at Sheppard, park their cars and ride the subway for the rest of their commute downtown. It's pretty safe to say that was a grand failure.

The idea of getting riders out of their cars and to use the Crosstown and/or Kitchener line to commute downtown is cute in theory, but it really wouldnt work since riders would be detouring out of their way and spending extra time to park, switch transportation modes and wait for their train to arrive. It's simply an added inconvenience.

I think we've been through that experiment to an extent with the Sheppard subway; where the idea was to get commuters to get off the 404 at Sheppard, park their cars and ride the subway for the rest of their commute downtown. It's pretty safe to say that was a grand failure.

The idea of getting riders out of their cars and to use the Crosstown and/or Kitchener line to commute downtown is cute in theory, but it really wouldnt work since riders would be detouring out of their way and spending extra time to park, switch transportation modes and wait for their train to arrive. It's simply an added inconvenience.
The difference here is that it would actually be faster and less annoying to get downtown from that particular location/direction. The reason it didn't work with the Sheppard line is because the existing highway essentially is a straight shot downtown. From the Mt. Dennis area it takes almost 30 minutes to drive downtown if there's little to no traffic, and it's an annoying drive no matter what way you go.

According to Waze, if I left Mt. Dennis right now (2pm ish on a Monday), the fastest way to Union is to go up Black Creek, across the 401, down the 427, and across the QEW, and it should take me 27 minutes. I can only speak for myself, but I'd rather wait up to (but likely less than) 30 minutes, then sit on the train for 15 than do that drive. Let alone the more direct zig-zag through the city.

I think it just comes down to personal opinion, and also the available parking at your destination. I'd also much rather find parking up there than find and pay both my kidneys for parking downtown.

The difference here is that it would actually be faster and less annoying to get downtown from that particular location/direction. The reason it didn't work with the Sheppard line is because the existing highway essentially is a straight shot downtown. From the Mt. Dennis area it takes almost 30 minutes to drive downtown if there's little to no traffic, and it's an annoying drive no matter what way you go.

According to Waze, if I left Mt. Dennis right now (2pm ish on a Monday), the fastest way to Union is to go up Black Creek, across the 401, down the 427, and across the QEW, and it should take me 27 minutes. I can only speak for myself, but I'd rather wait up to (but likely less than) 30 minutes, then sit on the train for 15 than do that drive. Let alone the more direct zig-zag through the city.

I think it just comes down to personal opinion, and also the available parking at your destination. I'd also much rather find parking up there than find and pay both my kidneys for parking downtown.
...or use the GO trains which would be faster.

Back