innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto

A bunch of rental developers have paid about $65 million for the Holland Park Garden Gallery and two adjacent sites. This is about 3.5 hectares, on the corner of Drury and Fairview within easy walking distance of the GO station.

Strikes me as a huge amount of money for a rental property in a suburban market. They are apparently contemplating a true "mixed use" development, with a significant retail portion. Given the price I imagine there will be a good chunk of density here. The secondary plan for the mobility hub puts a 19 storey height limit in here - I'd be surprised if they don't push that though. The secondary plan also sticks a >1 hectare park on this site.. which would be about a 30% parkland dedication, so I can't imagine that happening.

I'll be interested to see the plans - This could be a really interesting project.

Looks like this has filed for Site Plan Approval. For some reason it doesn't appear to require a rezoning. The link above is the local councillor to un-delegate Site Plan Approval so that it goes in front of council and engages a public process.

The proposal is apparently for " 7 towers with heights ranging from 29-37 storeys ", so an absolutely huge development with tons of density.

Based on the site size indicated in the first link posted by @innsertnamehere it would appear to be this block of land:

1593805835645.png

This is a view of the site looking N/W from Fairview Street at aroung the mid-point of the site:

1593805951645.png

This is the the more easterly portion of the site, as seen from Fairview:

1593806018318.png

Can't say there's anything I'd miss there.

However, the site does not appear to include the car dealership to the west, which remains in void in the landscape on the way to the GO Stn. The GO platforms currently end behind this site.

1593806105276.png

Once the above ends up in play, there are many important opportunities.

Not the least of which is fixing 'Upper Haggar Creek'

Which which is the terribly maligned trickle of water in the concrete ditch seen below, located between the dealership and the GO Stn.

1593806295806.png

Thanks. Description:

• Seven (7) residential towers on top of four (4) mixed use podiums.
  • Overall heights ranging between 29 and 37 storeys.
  • Podium heights ranging from 2, 5 and 6 storeys.
  • A total of 2,456 residential units of mixed type and tenure.
  • 3689m2 of commercial space.
  • 38,244 m2 of shared amenity space.,
  • Five (5) levels of underground parking and a four (4) storey parking structure which will be integrated with the residential units.
  • Pedestrian connections to the surrounding neighbourhood and Burlington GO Station.
No additional plans available though.

37 Storeys is huge for Burlington, and this appears to be site plan only (??!!). that means there is no way for council to interfere.

Also, 2,500 units! this will have nearly 5,000 people living in it.

Real nice density for the Burlington burbs southwest of TO ! And the renderings of the photos up above look great!

This was the Garden Gallery nursery and is certainly the ’zone’ around the Fairview GO station to be designing this type of higher density redevelopment. I would add in the Leggat site, the Walmart site, and much of the single story commercial along Fairview as further possibilities. Fairview itself has decent auto access and bus connections to downtown and other areas of Burlington. There are also some decent ( and improving?) bicycle links to other parts of the B.

Without judging the specifics of the design or density, this development makes more sense in this location, than some of the similar sized towers being rammed into downtown Burlington with the agreeable assistance of LPAT.

I believe there is an additional proposal on the books for redevelopment around the Appelby Station. And somewhat higher densities around the Aldershot station have been in development and building.

A larger question may be be the future of the paved acres surrounding the Oakville GO and VIA station. When the most notable development over the past years is a forgettable, but highly usable, parking garage and GO operations centre, you need to refocus. But I think I am getting off topic.

It's definitely going to be interesting watching this progress with the NIMBY city council, and it seems to be a fairly large discussion point in the upcoming municipal election

Back