News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Though we knew it was coming, the TTC have just posted a warning notice about the start of the Easier Access project @ Spadina Station.. https://www.ttc.ca/service-advisories/construction-notices/Spadina-Station---Easier-Access

Hold the phone Joan..............err... @DSC

I just had a look at the public presentation..........(posted July '22).......... did we know they were removing all the escalators to the NB platform; and the down escalator for the SB platform?)

I can't say I remember that, maybe I missed that.

But that's bonkers.

Here's the problem, the elevator designs the TTC uses are not large enough to replace the demand for up escalators.

You can maybe get away with eliminating a down escalator; though that's still lousy planning/customer service........but yikes!

The system used to have a policy of trying to get every station to have an up escalator path to the surface, and here they are removing one.

(yes the title says Dupont Station, but its Spadina.............details are not the TTC's strong suit)

From the above:

1659901026429.png

1659901051981.png

I just had a look at the public presentation..........(posted July '22).......... did we know they were removing all the escalators to the NB platform; and the down escalator for the SB platform?)

I can't say I remember that, maybe I missed that.
I'm not sure I've seen that.

What blows my mind, is that they seem to be digging up most of the Spadina/Lowther interchange and sidewalks, but still failing to put an entrance or exit to the surface at that location!

Last edited:
What blows my mind, is that they seem to be digging up most of the Spadina/Lowther interchange and sidewalks, but still failing to put an entrance or exit to the surface at that location

Truthfully the Kendal exit is better suited for an elevator. It is a former house turned subway exit.

Truthfully the Kendal exit is better suited for an elevator. It is a former house turned subway exit.
Sure - but if they are going to dig up the most of the intersection at Lowther to put in the elevators from the concourse to the tracks, why not just stick a simple staircase to the street - doesn't need to have an elevator for accessibility rules (though would have been nice, given they needed to put in an elevator).

Last edited:
Sure - but if they are going to dig up the most of the intersection at Kendall to put in the elevators from the concourse to the tracks, why not just stick a simple staircase to the street - doesn't need to have an elevator for accessibility rules (though would have been nice, given they needed to put in an elevator).

There is one.

It is on the west side of the street.

There is one.

It is on the west side of the street.
I meant Lowther. Two big massive excavations into the concourse, but they can't leave a simple stairwell for pedestrians?

Hang on - I assumed there were other drawings for Kendall.

They aren't bothering to put an elevator at the main entrance to the station?

So someone at the main entrance has to get a quarter-mile down to near Bloor, to get into the station. And then head back north again to get to the elevators?

Ouch

I meant Lowther. Two big massive excavations into the concourse, but they can't leave a simple stairwell for pedestrians?

Hang on - I assumed there were other drawings for Kendall.

They aren't bothering to put an elevator at the main entrance to the station?

So someone at the main entrance has to get a quarter-mile down to near Bloor, to get into the station. And then head back north again to get to the elevators?

Ouch
If you're going north of Kendall and absolutely need an elevator, it's shorter to just use Dupont Station instead of doubling back which would make the distance close to 600m. Dupont to Kendall is around 500m.

Which is completely unnecessary and probably not allowed under the accessibility act. You have to give the same access not hinder them.

True but let's be real here. There is no easy way to retrofit Spadina station.

Anyone who needs to transfer between lines probably won't bother even if the station has elevators. The lengthy corridor makes it impractical for persons with mobility issues. The only time I can see disabled persons using those elevators to transfer lines is when the subway craps out.

True but let's be real here. There is no easy way to retrofit Spadina station.

Anyone who needs to transfer between lines probably won't bother even if the station has elevators. The lengthy corridor makes it impractical for persons with mobility issues. The only time I can see disabled persons using those elevators to transfer lines is when the subway craps out.
What if they come in on a bus or streetcar and want to head north or south? Do you really think it's right to say that people who can't use stairs should exit the station and walk to another entrance so that they can use the accessibility features of it?

Back