News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Wow, ye olde 3-week heat warning. Super cute, loooving the electric bill on the AC 🤣.

EC has us between 28 and 32 til Saturday, and TWN has us between 28 and 31 from now til next Thursday. I wonder if this will be the hottest august in history (on average)? I don’t know how to find monthly max averages but yeah. It’s gotta be close.

Not that I’m complaining - other than the electric bill - it’s great for the plants and stuff… or it would be if we had moisture. But yeah, the snows are coming in 2 months so buckle up buckarooos!

Nobody needs AC in Calgary. The humidity is always low and the high elevation delivers cool nights.

Calgary is paradise when the weather is good. Too bad every summer couldn't be high twenties and hotter for at least 4 or 5 months
AC is definitely a luxury. But I'd give up A LOT of other luxuries before giving up my AC.

This weather is fantastic! high 20's to the low 30's is my ideal summer weather!

Wonder if we are back in a drought pattern again, apart from a hell of a thunderstorm at my place friday night, I haven't seen any substantial rain in about a month!

It's been a while since we had nice summer like this - reminds me of the late 90s. We definitely deserve it after the cool, crappy spring we had.

Nobody needs AC in Calgary. The humidity is always low and the high elevation delivers cool nights.

Calgary is paradise when the weather is good. Too bad every summer couldn't be high twenties and hotter for at least 4 or 5 months
Generally speaking it's not needed in Calgary, but it comes in handy at times. Especially this summer, as the nights haven't been cooling down as much as usual. There have been a couple nights where my place was pushing 30C inside the house and after a night of open windows, it was still 26C in the morning. Usually not a big deal, as heat waves last a week or so, but this summer, it's been a month of heat, and still another week to go. We're not used to it.

Generally speaking it's not needed in Calgary, but it comes in handy at times. Especially this summer, as the nights haven't been cooling down as much as usual. There have been a couple nights where my place was pushing 30C inside the house and after a night of open windows, it was still 26C in the morning. Usually not a big deal, as heat waves last a week or so, but this summer, it's been a month of heat, and still another week to go. We're not used to it.
I learned to live without AC in Australia in Perth which sees nigh time lows well into the 20's for the majority of the year. It takes a couple of weeks to acclimatize and then no looking back. AC consumes ridiculous amounts of energy and recycles stagnant air. Open windows do a much better job. I've been in Austin for almost a year and half now and also forego AC and other wasteful uses of energy like clothes driers.

Canadian homes are more in need of ac during a hot summer then Australian homes because of how they're built. Australian buildings are designed to naturally ventilate so they cool quicker in the evenings. Canadian buildings are designed to trap heat so they stay warm in the winter. This is why Canadian homes stay hot at night after a hot day and Australian homes do not. It's the difference between designing homes for a winter climate and a desert climate.

Canadian homes are more in need of ac during a hot summer then Australian homes because of how they're built. Australian buildings are designed to naturally ventilate so they cool quicker in the evenings. Canadian buildings are designed to trap heat so they stay warm in the winter. This is why Canadian homes stay hot at night after a hot day and Australian homes do not. It's the difference between designing homes for a winter climate and a desert climate.
The reverse is also true...some of my coldest indoor experiences have been in places like Spain and New Zealand...it may not be any colder than 12 degrees outside, but it's hard to shake the chill indoors.

I travelled extensively through New Zealand in August one year, and spent so much time freezing (did it in a campervan). They all laughed at the Canadian who was cold in New Zealand, and I just kept saying, we heat our buildings, why don't you?.....

There is a lot of talk about making AC a human right which would mean that every new house will have AC standard. I'd love to have AC in my house, but I manage to keep the inside temp around 24 when it's over 30 outside, just keep the windows closed and draw the curtains in any room that gets direct sunlight. The only time I couldn't regulate the heat was that heat dome last summer, it hit 38 in my backyard and stayed above 30 in my house for that whole week, had to sleep in the basement!!

I learned to live without AC in Australia in Perth which sees nigh time lows well into the 20's for the majority of the year. It takes a couple of weeks to acclimatize and then no looking back. AC consumes ridiculous amounts of energy and recycles stagnant air. Open windows do a much better job. I've been in Austin for almost a year and half now and also forego AC and other wasteful uses of energy like clothes driers.
@Duck Lightning brings up a good point. There may be a difference depending on the building design. My uncle‘s place in Puerto Vallarta has no AC as well, even though temps hit at least 30C pretty much every day of the year and warm nights.
One thing about his place was it was made of cinderblock and all the floors were tile. Seemed to stay reasonably cool throughout the day.

Back