This photo is on WT website, I had not seen it before and it gives a great (and fairly recent) overview.

1662070905123.png

I hope they have a big ceremony and everyone can come watch when they flood the new channel they've been digging for years now. That will be exciting.
As has been discussed here before - they do NOT plan to have a huge rush of water one day. They will first open the new mouth of the river (just below the new Cherry Street bridge) and allow the water to flow "upstream" into the new river valley. Then, when the new river valley is filled and things have settled down, they will remove the 'plug' north of the new Commissioners Street bridge and the river will then flow through the new valley. Not as exciting but they do not want a huge rush of water to tear up the new river bed.

Besides, having tons of water suddenly rushing in all at once would likely pose significant safety issues. So agreed, breaking it in gently is the best way to go here.

I think the Rocky account pointed out how the dug out and prepared portions were already retaining water from storms. Dunno if it’s still holding, but arguably, couldn’t we just end up with a separated river by spring thaw?

I think the Rocky account pointed out how the dug out and prepared portions were already retaining water from storms. Dunno if it’s still holding, but arguably, couldn’t we just end up with a separated river by spring thaw?
There is a very little in the new river bed these days, you can see in some of the photos of last few weeks.

This photo, from today, shows what I think MAY be styrofoam 'cubes' parked on Cherry Street @ the Yellow Bridge and I suspect they intend to use them to create (or reinforce) the 'plug' at the lake end of the new river so they can excavate it and then open it up, gradually. I may be wrong but, if I am, I have no doubt someone here will know better!

IMG_1023[1].JPG

The (pedestrian and cycling only) lift bridge from Lower Don Lands to Wards Island discussion resurfacing from a candidate:

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/city-cou...-lift-bridge-to-the-toronto-islands-1.6057219
ctv

I'm in on board with this partly because with the location this far east, the ferries would still be busy serving the other islands... but my support is contingent on the bridge being a Santiago Calatrava cable-stayed swing bridge * ... not a lift bridge.

*yes that's a real thing

The (pedestrian and cycling only) lift bridge from Lower Don Lands to Wards Island discussion resurfacing from a candidate:

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/city-cou...-lift-bridge-to-the-toronto-islands-1.6057219
ctv

I'm in on board with this partly because with the location this far east, the ferries would still be busy serving the other islands... but my support is contingent on the bridge being a Santiago Calatrava cable-stayed swing bridge * ... not a lift bridge.

*yes that's a real thing
Kick the airport off the Toronto Island's and build a cheaper bridge at the western channel. That would be the most ideal spot.

No surprise here

Rescheduled - Northbound Cherry Street temporarily closed between Commissioners Street and Unwin Avenue: September 23-26

The work on Cherry Street between Commissioners Street and Polson Street that was planned for the weekend of September 9-12 has been rescheduled to September 23-26. This work is to connect the new alignment of Cherry Street with the existing alignment at Polson Street. A more detailed reminder will be sent in advance of the work. You can also refer to Construction Notice 33 for detour routes and more information.
Rescheduled - Vehicular traffic on Cherry Street switching to new alignment between Polson Street and Commissioners Street: Starting September 26

To allow for excavation of the new mouth for the Don River, vehicular traffic will be re-routed onto the new alignment of Cherry Street between Polson Street and Commissioners Street, starting on Monday, September 26. A more detailed reminder will be sent in advance of the work.

Back