News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

LG should not give assent to an blatantly unconstitutional law passed by the Legislature, 100%. This is not that.

A private citizen with no seat in the Legislature, who is a candidate for political office, has floated a policy proposal. LG should not be saying anything in this circumstance.
They're asked whether they will follow constitutional convention / what the constitutional convention is in theoretical situation and they explain what they will do.

Would it be better if they had no commented?

Or if they had kept it entirely theoretical—would the outcome or articles be any different?

I guess this is the thread to put something as frivolous as this.
A quote from our PM ..."Declaring an opportunity for Canadians to mourn on Monday is important,”

Yes, we all knew the queen personally and we really do need another paid day off work, particularly our overworked and underpaid federal employees. :rolleyes:

I guess this is the thread to put something as frivolous as this.
A quote from our PM ..."Declaring an opportunity for Canadians to mourn on Monday is important,”

Yes, we all knew the queen personally and we really do need another paid day off work, particularly our overworked and underpaid federal employees. :rolleyes:
Especially when surfing day is on 30th

As our federal workers receive a third paid holiday just this month ....on top of all of the other holidays and paid sick days etc. throughout the year (at taxpayers expense) .... I thought I would share these facts about our very bloated federal government. Makes me 🤬. I don't know about everyone else.

Federal Public Service

# of Civil Servants in 2010
(Conservative Gov’t)
# of Civil Servants in 2015
(LY of Conservative Gov’t)
YOY Change
-25,946 / -9%
# of Civil Servants in 2016
(1st Year of Liberal Gov’t)
# of Civil Servants in 2021
(Current Liberal Gov’t)
+60,622 / +23%
# of Civil Servants in 2015 Making > $100,000
(Conservative Gov’t)
# of Civil Servants in 2021 Making >$100,000
(Current Liberal Gov’t)
114,433*
+71,009 / +163%
*40,000 of jobs earning > $100,000 were added in 2020-21 … the height of the pandemic

Pay Raises

There were 312,825 federal government employees that received a pay raise during the pandemic, according to an access to information request filed by the CTF. The federal government has no records of its employees ever receiving a pay cut, according to research from Secondstreet.org. From March 2020 to March 2021, the federal government added 19,151 extra employees.

Members of Parliament took three pay raises during the pandemic, ranging from an extra $10,600 for backbench MPs to an extra $21,200 for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau compared to pre-pandemic salaries.

Sources: Government of Canada website and the Canadian Taxpayer Federation

Something I’d also be interested in understanding is the number (per capita) federal government jobs, and overall annual costs (wages, etc.) of these federal government jobs by province.

I’d wager it results in an overall net transfer to Central and Eastern Canada.

Government is a massive middle and really now upper-middle class employer. Not just the feds, provinces and cities too.

A government job brings stability (union?) and good/great pay and benefits (union?).

Funny thing to me about this is even with the numbers posted above, some services have really fallen off and the answer is really to hire more... I assume the hires have been brought in to administer the new programs the fed shave introduced, not necessarily to make existing services better. I guess one way to keep unemployment down is for you as a government to hire a lot of people.

Personally, I can't argue against a lot of the programs that were introduced, but man do they ever cost a lot money and I'm sure a big part of that is wages to pay people to administer them. Call me radical but that's really why I'm a UBI guy. Sure would make things like all the rebates you can get (GST, Carbon Tax, Child Benefit, Dental, etc.) that much easier to administer. That's just the cost of helping out individuals... don't get me started on how many businesses and really industries are subsidized. But that's just the cost of doing business in a capitalist's free-market economy... Haha Okay I'll stop.

40,000 of jobs earning > $100,000 were added in 2020-21 … the height of the pandemic
I think that is overtime, not new jobs. 12,500 jobs were added.

Anyways:

1663177750917.png

GASP! The number of public servants are up to 2010 levels! oh the humanity. Mostly driven by the drop in population growth due to the pandemic immigration slowdown.

The drop in the Harper years was largely artificial: a hiring freeze without a reduction in the amount of work to be done. It catches up evenutally. And firing people doing work technology that failed to work was supposed to take over but never did.

Government is a massive middle and really now upper-middle class employer. Not just the feds, provinces and cities too.
This is due to a shift that started in the 90s - instead of directly employing lots of staff, instead it hires contractors.

The Alberta core government this year has the same number of staff as it had in 1997: 19,200.

This is due to a shift that started in the 90s - instead of directly employing lots of staff, instead it hires contractors.

The Alberta core government this year has the same number of staff as it had in 1997: 19,200.
What constitutes the "core" government? I assume AHS is NOT in there. And, is there a number for the amount of contractors? Surprised to see the number of provincial employees is that low TBH.

What constitutes the "core" government? I assume AHS is NOT in there. And, is there a number for the amount of contractors? Surprised to see the number of provincial employees is that low TBH.
Removes things that grow in proportion to population: AHS, school boards, the justice system, social service contractors.

Like: if you're going to attack systems for being overly bureaucratic, we should look at the measures of bureaucrats.

I think that is overtime, not new jobs. 12,500 jobs were added.

Anyways:

View attachment 426952

GASP! The number of public servants are up to 2010 levels! oh the humanity. Mostly driven by the drop in population growth due to the pandemic immigration slowdown.

The drop in the Harper years was largely artificial: a hiring freeze without a reduction in the amount of work to be done. It catches up evenutally. And firing people doing work technology that failed to work was supposed to take over but never did.
It should be dropping due to technology. Government lags in terms of implementing technology, so it should benefit from the learnings of private sector implementation. The Feds have only scratched the surface in terms of outsourcing, meaning that some of that implementation risk could be offloaded to more capable partners. It already entrusts Sun Life to admin benefits for its own workforce, so wny couldn't it outsource admin of veteran's benefits, OAS, CPP and EI to the likes of Sun Life, Manulife and GWL?

Harper took federal spending to records lows relative to GDP and nothing broke, meaning that the threshold had not been reached in terms of improving the productivity of the federal public service. Harper also played fewer favorites and national unity challenges abated, so further leveling should be pursued. I'm sure I would be burned at the stake for pointing out the fallacies that the federal government needs to spend big and play favorites in order to keep the country together.

Public sevants should earn substantially less than private sector counterparts. They have generous benefits, more paid vacation, less risk of dismissal with our without case, predictable retirement dates and risk free retirement income. With less risk, comes less return.

Back